Arrival Day - should we get Maxpass?

magickingdomprincess

DIS Veteran
We'll be arriving next Sat the 20th for a 5 night stay offsite at DL. Our flight lands at 2:00 at LAX and we're renting a car and driving to our hotel then planning on heading to the parks that night. I'm guessing we would make it there around 6 or 7. Is it worth buying Maxpass for that day? This will be our first time using it. We'll have 4 more full park days after that, and have 4 people in our group. I'm guessing it's not worth it but would like to hear what the experts think. Thanks!

I would probably save your money for that day. Use that day to see Fantasmic, world of color or fireworks. You still will be able to get fast passes- you just have to walk to get them. You will have plenty of opportunity to use it on your full days and it will save you a little cash.

I would not recommend getting it if you’re arriving that late. We made the mistake last time of getting them when we got to the park around that time and they were pretty much useless.

I think it depends on which rides you want to do and whether any FPs are still available for them and if the return times work for you. Download the free DLR app now, if you haven't already, and start getting used to using it. Keep an eye on the FP availability and return times later in the day for the rides which interest you. If you do this throughout this week, that will give you some idea of what to expect for your trip dates. Then, on your arrival day, check the app when you arrive at the parks. If there are still FPs available for rides you want at times that work for you, go ahead and get MP if you think the value is there for you. If not, don't worry about it. You would still be able to use your tickets at the FP machines for free, if you wanted to try that. And if you are willing to use SR, you could try that option for the rides that have SR lines.

Thanks for the replies! I do have the app downloaded and have periodically been checking wait times to get an idea of what to expect. For the first day probably we'll go to whatever rides are available with short waits, although space mountain would be great! Maybe we'll check out SWGE since it seems evening might be better than in the am. Later in the week we have a WOC dessert party booked, as well as a Fantasmic dining package so we'll probably just concentrate on rides that night. Can't wait! Less than a week to go!

Thanks for the replies! I do have the app downloaded and have periodically been checking wait times to get an idea of what to expect. For the first day probably we'll go to whatever rides are available with short waits, although space mountain would be great! Maybe we'll check out SWGE since it seems evening might be better than in the am. Later in the week we have a WOC dessert party booked, as well as a Fantasmic dining package so we'll probably just concentrate on rides that night. Can't wait! Less than a week to go!
You can always pull old school FPs. That’s the route I would take with a late park arrival.

We'll be arriving next Sat the 20th for a 5 night stay offsite at DL. Our flight lands at 2:00 at LAX and we're renting a car and driving to our hotel then planning on heading to the parks that night. I'm guessing we would make it there around 6 or 7. Is it worth buying Maxpass for that day? This will be our first time using it. We'll have 4 more full park days after that, and have 4 people in our group. I'm guessing it's not worth it but would like to hear what the experts think. Thanks!

It depends on what attractions you want to do.

We arrived mid afternoon on Friday July 5 and intended to do all of Grizzly Peak in the late afternoon, early evening and then head over to Disneyland. However we found that all the return times for Soarin and Grizzly River Run were too late, so we never used MaxPass that day to get any return times.

However if we had wanted to do late rides in Disneyland like Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder (basically anything where demand is usually lower and fastpassed can be grabbed easily late in the day) then it would be worth it.

Hope this helps!

You are going to need dinner also. I think pull a paper FP, mobile order some food (if eating in park), and soak up some atmosphere. Then get ready for a show if you choose and get to bed after. You want to be up early to rope drop DL on Sunday.

You can ride everything 2+ times (more for favorites) with Maxpass over the remaining four days.

We went in early December. LAX 2 pm arrival. Arrived at park 4pm in time for frozen show. Thought we’d do paper fp. Couldn’t find the kiosks. 🙄 Gave up and for maxpass at 5:30-6 pm. It was useful. We had a 3 day +that evening trip. It wasn’t necessary but I don’t wait in lines and paper fp annoyed me. It was worth it to me.

I guess it matters how much money means to you. I would never throw 60 bucks away on such a short time but for us 60 bucks is a bunch of extra snacks etc. If 60 bucks isn't a big deal for you then maybe its worth it (I just don't see how but I'm a poor scotsman who married a mennonite lol).

We love max pass and use it every day, but hitting the parks at 6 or 7, I would say no, BUT if you plan on doing photopass that night you might buy it for one person in your party so that you can include the photos.

We got it last summer when we made it to the parks around 1 or 2pm. It was sort of worth it for that, especially since we stayed until park close. However, your arrival time is too late. Save the money.

You can always pull old school FPs. That’s the route I would take with a late park arrival.

I agree, I think that's what we'll plan on doing.

It depends on what attractions you want to do.

We arrived mid afternoon on Friday July 5 and intended to do all of Grizzly Peak in the late afternoon, early evening and then head over to Disneyland. However we found that all the return times for Soarin and Grizzly River Run were too late, so we never used MaxPass that day to get any return times.

However if we had wanted to do late rides in Disneyland like Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder (basically anything where demand is usually lower and fastpassed can be grabbed easily late in the day) then it would be worth it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'm guessing we'll head to DL and since there are more rides to choose from and seems like a good place to start with the kiddos for their first time (and only our second time).

You are going to need dinner also. I think pull a paper FP, mobile order some food (if eating in park), and soak up some atmosphere. Then get ready for a show if you choose and get to bed after. You want to be up early to rope drop DL on Sunday.

You can ride everything 2+ times (more for favorites) with Maxpass over the remaining four days.

Good point, I need to think about what we'll have for dinner that night! Between the two hour time difference (we're on Central time at home) and traveling, I doubt we'll stay out too late the first day. But, it should make getting up early the next morning easier! That's definitely one advantage DL has over WDW, easier to get up early!

We went in early December. LAX 2 pm arrival. Arrived at park 4pm in time for frozen show. Thought we’d do paper fp. Couldn’t find the kiosks. 🙄 Gave up and for maxpass at 5:30-6 pm. It was useful. We had a 3 day +that evening trip. It wasn’t necessary but I don’t wait in lines and paper fp annoyed me. It was worth it to me.

Wow, that's impressive that you made it there by 4! Did you head straight there from the airport? That's encouraging that maybe we'll have even more time in the park! Great point about the FP kiosks! I'll have to look for a map.

We love max pass and use it every day, but hitting the parks at 6 or 7, I would say no, BUT if you plan on doing photopass that night you might buy it for one person in your party so that you can include the photos.
I think with 4 other days to use it we can skip Photopass for one day, but thanks for the idea of just buying it for one person.

I guess it matters how much money means to you. I would never throw 60 bucks away on such a short time but for us 60 bucks is a bunch of extra snacks etc. If 60 bucks isn't a big deal for you then maybe its worth it (I just don't see how but I'm a poor scotsman who married a mennonite lol).

$60 is a lot to me too! Maybe would even cover our dinner for the night, maybe...

It's not worth it that late. The value in Maxpass comes from starting early and stacking FP throughout the day.

Agreed, I can't wait to try it out! This will be our first Maxpass experience, excited to see how many rides we can get in!

We got it last summer when we made it to the parks around 1 or 2pm. It was sort of worth it for that, especially since we stayed until park close. However, your arrival time is too late. Save the money.

Thank you, I'm convinced that's the way to go too!

When looking for a FP kiosk/machine, you can always ask the nearest CM. There are almost always CMs posted at the ride entrances. For the rides that have FP, just ask those CMs where the FP machines are located. Sometimes the machines are very close by and sometimes not. It never hurts to ask.

I agree, I think that's what we'll plan on doing.

Thanks! I'm guessing we'll head to DL and since there are more rides to choose from and seems like a good place to start with the kiddos for their first time (and only our second time).

Good point, I need to think about what we'll have for dinner that night! Between the two hour time difference (we're on Central time at home) and traveling, I doubt we'll stay out too late the first day. But, it should make getting up early the next morning easier! That's definitely one advantage DL has over WDW, easier to get up early!

Wow, that's impressive that you made it there by 4! Did you head straight there from the airport? That's encouraging that maybe we'll have even more time in the park! Great point about the FP kiosks! I'll have to look for a map.

I think with 4 other days to use it we can skip Photopass for one day, but thanks for the idea of just buying it for one person.
We dropped our bags in our room at BWPPI and headed over!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter