Arrival day, which park?

MommyMK

Mouseketeer
We are arriving on 10/26, staying at the boardwalk, our flight gets us in at 1:20. Figuring on getting to the resort hopefully by 3ish and into a park by 4 pm. The question is which park to go to?

The most recommended parks are MK with a 7 pm close for MNSSHP or AK with an 8 pm close. I'm thinking it's not worth it to try and get to the MK for such a short window of time, but thinking about AK. Other October folk, what are the latest FP+ safari times out there right now? Thinking we could do the safari, the last Nemo show, Everest and maybe the walking trails before close? Maybe an ADR at Yak and Yeti?

The other option would be HS which has EMH that night, so it will be more crowded. We'd most likely just use our 3 FP+ there, one for TSMM, one for TOT and one for ??? Maybe try to catch Characterpalooza if it is happening or one of the later showings of BATB or Indiana Jones. We've got two small kids (8 & 4) so we won't be staying out late for EMH anyways.

For the rest of our trip we've got one full day and the Halloween night MNSSHP for MK time, 1.5 days in Epcot for F&W time, 2-3 half days for HS time and one full day for AK.

WWYD?

On arrival day I am a little beat from travelling so I usually go to Epcot for Dinner or Downtown Disney. This time I will be doing Epcot for dinner with 3 FP+ reservations before dinner. We will make it an early night and not even stay for Illuminations.

I, personally, would go to EP and either take a leisurely stroll around WS and get some dinner or head over to Living Seas to take the kids the the ride and aquarium and then have dinner with Mickey at Garden Grill. I'd end the night watching Illuminations.

We stay in the EP area a lot and usually arrive around the same time you will be arriving. My DS is 7 and by the time we arrive at the resort, he is pretty tired, so we typically just go to EP and ride a few rides or just go for a walk. It's a nice way to start the trip and get excited for all we will do during our vacation.

I'm going oct 12-19 and it's showing Safari times for my group of 12 available every half hour through the day til park close, so I assume you'd be able to get it easily if you decide on that park.

I am often more pooped from traveling than I am pumped for parks upon arrival, so I'd probably take the short walk to Epcot and wander world showcase if I were you.

We're arriving the same day as you, and we'll be heading to Epcot. I'm thinking that I may want to visit DAK instead... Ugh... I thought I had everything figured out!! Lol

I'll tell you which one we won't go to on our first day after traveling and that's AK! We went there on the first day of our last trip and it was kinda brutal. It's just a huge park, all three of us were lacking some sleep and DD10 (at the time) was GRUMPY. Coupled with a really horrible meal at Tusker House. We won't make that mistake again.

We actually arrive on an evening EMH at HS too (different date though) and I'm really considering going there that night. For us it's a half day park and it's not that big. I figure we could get checked in at our resort, eat lunch and then go to HS in the evening.

I know a lot of people do DTD on their first day, if it's not critical to hit a park.

Epcot for sure. We always do it as Illuminations is a great start to a holiday. Especially as you are staying at Boardwalk it makes it a nice easy evening, leisurely stroll, a ride or two in Futureworld (maybe make a FP+ for 5pmish), dinner at Via Napoli then Illumination fireworks and a walk back along the Boardwalk.

Epcot is my favorite park, but I would say that AK is a great idea also. I have always found AK to be the easiest park to manage arriving late. If you are in the mood to HIT a park, AK would be my choice. If you were in the mood to go about it leisurely, Epcot would be great.

It has been our families tradition for years to go to Epcot on our arrival day. It is the more low key park. We can do a few rides and afterwards just relax and walk around WS and Future World and have sit down dinner that evening... We chose the Garden Grill for our upcoming trip. And we call it a night not too long after dinner since we are always exhausted from waking up at 3am that day. :thumbsup2

We always do MK on the first FULL day. It is just so much better being well rested, having an early breakfast and heading over before the park opens.

I would skip HS on that night. You have two things against you.

1. Party night at MK means people are looking for an alternative.
2. Late EMH at HS means most of those people are going to choose HS as their alternative, so you not only have the usual late EMH crowds, but even more of a crowd due to the party taking away MK.

Have you ever done AK at night? If not, I'd head there just to experience it. Since you have another full day, I would probably concentrate on the Safari, the trails, dinner, and finish with a night time ride on EE.

However, since your staying at Boardwalk, EP would be the easiest, least stressful park for an arrival day. Depending on how far you've traveled and when you had to get up for that first flight, EP might be your better choice.

I agree that it would be best to avoid DHS that night, for the reasons given. And Epcot might seem like a logical choice, given its proximity to your resort. But its F&W on a Sunday night. Not as bad as a Fri or Sat, but still....

AK (JMHO) is great for a late afternoon start. The crowds really thin out starting in mid afternoon, making touring that much easier. And the safari ride at or near closing is usually great - the animals know, and are more active. Josh over at easywdw blogged about doing late day touring at AK and how much you could get done.

To me, MK *IS* Disney. I love it so much. We spent two days there last trip. That being said, Epcot is my favorite park for being relaxed and low key. Walk around ,eat some great food, have a couple drinks. It puts me in a distressed state of mind. pixiedust:

By the time you get checked in and are ready to go out, I think your best bet would be a stroll around the world showcase in Epcot. You can use the international gateway and get right in with a 5 minute walk from your hotel. Then get to bed early and start first thing in the morning with your favorite park!

Since your staying right at the BW, Epcot would be the best. We always go to Epcot on arrival day (even if its just for a few hours)- It's a tradition!

Last trip we stayed at BWV. On arrival day we dropped our bags and walked into EPCOT. Great way to get the trip started without a lot of hassel.

We are usually itching to get the park thing started and waiting for transportation is not the best after a long travel.

Wow, I'm surprised so many are suggesting Epcot! Since it is F&W I figured we'd avoid Epcot on the weekend since it is supposed to be so much busier and we're planning lots of time (and 3 F&W festival meals) during the week.

Our flight is short, leaves here at 11ish so we need to be at the airport by 9, up at around 7, so not especially early. We pretty much plan to check in and go right to a park, drop off our stuff in the room if it's ready but head right out. I feel stressed about this choice since I have to choose fastpasses in a couple of weeks!

We're staying at BWV but I still have to vote for MK. We'll be coming from Universal, will likely get to BWV right at check in, so it would make the most sense to go to DHS or Epcot. But for me MK is what I think of when I think of WDW so I always end up wanting to go there first. We'll see what happens... I'm sure we'll end up at Epcot that night either way for F&W!

Wow, I'm surprised so many are suggesting Epcot! Since it is F&W I figured we'd avoid Epcot on the weekend since it is supposed to be so much busier and we're planning lots of time (and 3 F&W festival meals) during the week.

Our flight is short, leaves here at 11ish so we need to be at the airport by 9, up at around 7, so not especially early. We pretty much plan to check in and go right to a park, drop off our stuff in the room if it's ready but head right out. I feel stressed about this choice since I have to choose fastpasses in a couple of weeks!

I once again advocate for AK. Checked the sunset times and it will be at 6:00 p.m. on the 26th. From what I hear, AK in the dark is a different park from the daytime. GO TO AK!!! :thumbsup2

I once again advocate for AK. Checked the sunset times and it will be at 6:00 p.m. on the 26th. From what I hear, AK in the dark is a different park from the daytime. GO TO AK!!! :thumbsup2

This is the exact reason I decided to switch my arrival day plans; no more Epcot... It's DAK for us now... No going back!! :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter