• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arriving 2 days pre-cruise...

Since you are going to be there for 2 days, I'd definitely vote for an option with a car. It will give you SO MANY MORE options for what to do during those two days.

As for option 2, let me give you both sides of that coin. On the one hand, you might think that at 10:00 at night the rental desk would be empty, but we were there last month and I have to tell you, all the agencies were packed. It took us 45 minutes, and it wouldn't have mattered which company we chose. On the other hand, the previous time we were there, also in the evening, the wait was less than 10 minutes. So who knows, but I want you to be aware of the possibility.

Now the other side of the coin, the kids can curl up with the bags near the rental car line while they wait for you; they can sleep on the plane and in the car, and if you set reasonable expectations for them, they will likely meet those expectations. I was raised as a traveler, and I have raised my sons as travelers. Did they whine and fuss sometimes? Sure. But now that they are almost college-age, they love travelling and feel confident to do it on their own. Big win, much bigger than not having them be tired in an airport.

Of course, what you REALLY need to decide is what you want from those two days. Activities in Port Canaveral? Activities is Orlando? Or just two days of relaxed, pre-cruise travel?

Once you decide what you want from the two days, the transportation and lodging questions answer themselves. How do YOU want to pass the time? They can all be great!

Although it's a pain to have to repack, just dropping into a hotel nearly as soon as you arrive rather than another long drive to a hotel is nice, especially with kids.

My cruise is sailing out of Miami, but this was my big reasoning in booking a room in the in-airport hotel there even though it looks a bit subpar. When I get off a plane late at night, the last thing I want to do is deal with further logistics -- so for me it made sense to do what it took to be able to simply walk straight from baggage claim to my hotel room (it was a bigger deal because I've never been to Miami and don't want to be figuring out how to get around at midnight after nine hours on a series of planes). The MCO Hyatt's actually nice, too, so I'm actually a bit jealous that I'm not sailing out of PC.

I'm just still in the camp that renting a car and driving for nearly an hour after a long day of flying sounds like a really unpleasant way to start the trip.

We're doing option 2, although I don't have the late night challenges you have. We are staying 2 nights on cocoa beach with a rental car - going to Kennedy Space Center one day and maybe just walking around Cocoa Beach one day. Having a car will be nice for running for meals/some groceries. I don't think I'd enjoy being stuck in the MCO Hyatt for 2 days... it's a nice enough hotel but being at the airport for 2 days would feel like the world's longest layover. Good luck!

what about

5) using a free transfer to a Disney Resort and staying there 2 nights. Using to the Disney Transfer to go to the port the day of cruise

I'm sure one of the value resorts would be a similar price to the Hyatt. There is a lot to do around the parks without actually having to buy park tickets and you wouldn't need to rent a car.

We always fly in at least one night before the cruise just for peace of mind. And we always choose a WDW resort; taking the Magical Express to the resort and DCL bus to the port and from port to airport. And we use WDW transportation to get around once at the resort. If you don't want to pay the cost of DCL transportation there are other alternatives that will probably be cheaper than DCL. People on the board could recommend other transportation services available.

We have skipped the parks several times while there. We will go to Disney Springs, have a reservation for a signature restaurant, explore as much of the resort as we can and take part of the activities they have to offer, drinks poolside, rent a surrey bike, take a horse drawn carriage ride, etc.
We just like to make it an all Disney vacation pixiedust:

Unless you really want to see some attractions near the Port. I would take the MDE to a disney resort and then either take the disney Cruise bus or reserve an external transfer. You can see the Kennedy Space center or cocoa beach for example. If that doesnt interest you I would prefer Disney over MCO. Even not visiiting the parks, I love disney resorts!! Even the values... nicer than an airport hotel..

Thanks everyone! It really helps to get all the suggestions and think it through. Hubby is now leaning toward one night in Hyatt MCO then drive down. Long international flights can be tricky sometimes it’s smooth and incident free, sometimes it’s crazy esp with kids. But the absolute worst bit is getting through passport control. Takes over 1hr usually. Just queuing and inching along.

Thanks everyone! It really helps to get all the suggestions and think it through. Hubby is now leaning toward one night in Hyatt MCO then drive down. Long international flights can be tricky sometimes it’s smooth and incident free, sometimes it’s crazy esp with kids. But the absolute worst bit is getting through passport control. Takes over 1hr usually. Just queuing and inching along.

Passport control is a challenge when you're exhausted from a long international flight. We saw a kid having a major meltdown -- screaming fit -- and instead of wishing the parents would control the kid, I just wanted to cry with her.

Passport control is a challenge when you're exhausted from a long international flight. We saw a kid having a major meltdown -- screaming fit -- and instead of wishing the parents would control the kid, I just wanted to cry with her.
It’s crazy. Last time we were in the queue for 1.5hrs. And the kids were younger and we were not allowed to have our stroller. My kids had a meltdown and refused to walk/stand in line. My hubby carried my son and I carried my daughter. It was crazy. Lucky enough we had a car service waiting for us... but upon reaching the hotel to check in there were crazy long queues. Nightmare! But the vacation was fun after that. Was a WDW vacation.

In your shoes, with international travel and pre-schoolers, I would probably stay a night at the airport on arrival. My brother just did this after arriving in Philly from New Zealand and it worked well. His kids were up at 5 in the morning so they got a good start on their drive to MD!

We are flying in two days early and will be driving down in the evening. We have an AirBnB house for two nights which gives us a little more flexibility than a hotel - I thought I would mention that as a housing option too, especially if you do decide to drive straight down.

Coming in that late I'd be all in for staying at the airport for the night and then grabbing a car early to spend the rest of the day in Cocoa or a KSC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter