Arriving at airport one night early

jshow89

Earning My Ears
Hello we are coming to Disney in NOV, our reservation starts at OKW on nov13 the sunday, but we found it to be actually cheaper to fly down the Saturday night the 12th, was wondering if anyone has any hotels around the airport in Orlando to recommend, also will we be able to use magical express on the sunday even though we arrive on the Saturday?? group of 4 adults that are DVC members but this is the first time we will ever be arriving early

Hello we are coming to Disney in NOV, our reservation starts at OKW on nov13 the sunday, but we found it to be actually cheaper to fly down the Saturday night the 12th, was wondering if anyone has any hotels around the airport in Orlando to recommend, also will we be able to use magical express on the sunday even though we arrive on the Saturday?? group of 4 adults that are DVC members but this is the first time we will ever be arriving early
We do this all the time. My kids (teens now) LOVE the MCO Hyatt Regency hotel - right inside the airport. There are shops, nice restaurants, and a beautiful rooftop pool. We spend the day/night here after our flights and then take the ME the next morning, refreshed, to Disney. You can still use DME on the Sunday, even though your flight arrives Saturday. You will need to get your travel agent to set this up for you (or call if you are booking yourself). It's a 'dummy' reservation, which will allow you to use DME any time on Sunday. We like to take an early DME to get to the resort quickly! There is also a really nice breakfast offered in the Hyatt hotel (you can get this as part of your reservation with the hotel). Use AAA (we use CAA) to get a better rate at the Hyatt. Keep checking prices - our stay started off at $199, but now I've got it down to $145 for our family of 4 (in a couple of weeks). We really like to use the Hyatt at MCO to start our Disney vacation. The only thing that you need to remember is that you have to deal with your own luggage - pick it up after your flight / bring it down next morning - do not put on yellow tag.

Yes, as PP mentions, you can do what you proposed and lots of people do it all the time.

It's all personal preference, but we have been in this situation before and just booked a room only reservation at the same resort that our package/point rental reservation was at. We were able to link the two reservations together and request the same room, so they were able to tell us at check-in that we'd be able to stay in the room. This allowed us to wake up early and make rope drop on our first day, rather than having to ride DME the next morning. Since you're DVC, I'm sure the resort you're staying at will be more expensive than the Hyatt but it's worth pricing out.

You could also stay at a moderate or value resort on your arrival night and they will move your bags for you the next day, still allowing you to have a full day in the parks!

We've stayed at the MCO Hyatt Regency several times in the past.......both on arrival night and departure night. As above poster says you will need to retrieve your bags at MCO and take them next morning on ME with you. If you stay at Hyatt on departure night you will not be able to do resort airline check-in since you are not flying out of MCO until the next morning. Just have bell services hold your bags until whatever time in evening (we usually leave Disney somewhere between 8 and 9 p.m for the airport) you are taking ME to the airport and then retrieve them to take with you on the bus. It's really nice if you have a very early a.m. flight since you just need to take the elevator downstairs, check your bags at airline counter and get in security line. Haven't done it the past few years, but, when we last did it I seem to remember booking it thru Last Minute Travel and getting a really nice rate......I believe somewhere around $135/$140 for one night.

Yes, as PP mentions, you can do what you proposed and lots of people do it all the time.

It's all personal preference, but we have been in this situation before and just booked a room only reservation at the same resort that our package/point rental reservation was at. We were able to link the two reservations together and request the same room, so they were able to tell us at check-in that we'd be able to stay in the room. This allowed us to wake up early and make rope drop on our first day, rather than having to ride DME the next morning. Since you're DVC, I'm sure the resort you're staying at will be more expensive than the Hyatt but it's worth pricing out.

You could also stay at a moderate or value resort on your arrival night and they will move your bags for you the next day, still allowing you to have a full day in the parks!

This makes the most sense to me. I've never done this, but will keep this in mind in case the need does arise since most times we arrive a day early also. I would book a room only value resort. If you think about it, it's going to cost you around the same price if you factor in the hassle of having to go back to airport...take DME and get the park day festivities started sometime in the afternoon. I would take DME the night of arrival, check-in to value resort, let Disney move the luggage the next day to DVC room while attending rope-drop. Just the convenience alone is worth paying a few extra bucks for an overnight stay IMHO !! Whatever you decide have a FANTASTIC time!!!!

We actually did this once. Stayed in the hotel at the airport the night before and hoped on DME the next morning. Would never do it again! Hotel was clean, and the kids swam in the rooftop pool, but it was a waste IMO. For what we paid to stay there, it would have been better if we booked a room only reservation at Disney. That way, we could have already been on property to get an early start the next day. Too much time was wasted on DME, checking in, leaving our bags with bell service...remember you can't use the yellow luggage tags if you book the hotel at the airport.

Go for the room only reservation. It's soooooo worth it!!!

We actually did this once. Stayed in the hotel at the airport the night before and hoped on DME the next morning. Would never do it again! Hotel was clean, and the kids swam in the rooftop pool, but it was a waste IMO. For what we paid to stay there, it would have been better if we booked a room only reservation at Disney. That way, we could have already been on property to get an early start the next day. Too much time was wasted on DME, checking in, leaving our bags with bell service...remember you can't use the yellow luggage tags if you book the hotel at the airport.

Exactly !!! It just makes sense. Even if someone is looking for a budget friendly option, it still makes sense to book a room only in a value resort. You aren't saving by staying somewhere else when you factor in the time and inconvenience. ::yes::

If your flight arrives late (i.e., 9 or 10 PM), then I would choose the Hyatt MCO route. If you do DME on arrival night and stay at a value resort, then you'll probably have to stay awake at said resort until after midnight for your luggage to arrive. Anyone know how early DME starts? Is it possible to make Rope Drop the next morning if you wake up real early?

Actually I believe luggage delivery stops picking up at the airport about 10:00 p.m. so if you arrive late evening ....either scheduled or because of flight delays......you won't receive your bags until the next morning. We arrived one evening at MCO about 7:30 p.m., had already done online checkin, got to resort about 8:30/8:40 p.m. dropped our carryon stuff in room, immediately left for a park with late EMH, and when we got back to our resort about midnight our bags were just getting to our room.....from a 7:30 p.m. arrival time.

If your flight arrives late (i.e., 9 or 10 PM), then I would choose the Hyatt MCO route. If you do DME on arrival night and stay at a value resort, then you'll probably have to stay awake at said resort until after midnight for your luggage to arrive. Anyone know how early DME starts? Is it possible to make Rope Drop the next morning if you wake up real early?

If you decide to go the value resort route, you don't have to stay awake waiting for your bags. You simply tell the front desk to hold them, and they will hold them until you call down for them.

DME runs 24/7. So it is possible to get up really early to make rope drop at a park. But it would be getting up really early when you factor in the 90 minute average to get to your Disney resort, and then waiting for a bus to the park. Depending on when the park opens you would have to be getting on DME around 6 am. Getting on, not just strolling down to wait for a bus.

Actually I believe luggage delivery stops picking up at the airport about 10:00 p.m. so if you arrive late evening ....either scheduled or because of flight delays......you won't receive your bags until the next morning. We arrived one evening at MCO about 7:30 p.m., had already done online checkin, got to resort about 8:30/8:40 p.m. dropped our carryon stuff in room, immediately left for a park with late EMH, and when we got back to our resort about midnight our bags were just getting to our room.....from a 7:30 p.m. arrival time.
Last August we arrived at MCO at 8:30, and received our luggage around 1:30 am. If we fly out late in the future, we will NOT be using the luggage service!

Last August we arrived at MCO at 8:30, and received our luggage around 1:30 am. If we fly out late in the future, we will NOT be using the luggage service!

Why? Did you think it took too long? Disney aims to get your luggage to you within 3-4 hours of check in. When your flight lands has nothing to do with the time frame. Going on averages, you arrived at your resort around 10 pm, so Disney was spot on with the luggage delivery.

Did you not like being woken up? Just tell the front desk to hold your bags.

I'm so glad I stumbled on this thread!
DH and I have yet to book flights yet because I can't decide on departure time/airport. :rolleyes1
We're arriving on Friday, December 2...right now the flight we'll likely take will arrive at MCO at 11:30pm. We're doing this to make it to rope drop for Saturday morning at either DHS or Epcot. I've been considering NOT using DME on arrival going to AoA, and booking a private car, or maybe a taxi to get from MCO to the resort. I feel like that will get us there fastest, with our luggage, so we can check into the hotel and go right to sleep. Anyone have any idea how long that would take at that time of night, or how much that would cost? I read something earlier that said Uber won't do pickups at MCO so I know that's not an option.

Several years ago there was a mix-up with ME pickup going to airport (we had our pick-up time scheduled and had our confirmation, but, for some reason the bus was full) so Disney (we were staying at BWV) gave us a taxi voucher to get to the airport. I asked the taxi driver what the fare is from Disney property to MCO and was told it was about $50/55 depending from where on property you're picked up. Now, keep in mind, this was at least 5 years ago, so I'm guessing the taxi fare is more now.

Thanks for the feedback @DonnaL ...I just read something on another thread where someone mentioned a towncar one way was $75. At that time of night, after working most of the day, then flying, I think I can just about justify it. But the taxi would be just fine for us as well since it's just me and DH. :)

Country Inn and Suites is just 2 miles from MCO.. They have a free shuttle that will pick you up so you don't need a car that first night. Then take the shuttle back to MCO in the morning to get the car. They have free breakfast too. We have done this several times and enjoyed our stay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter