Arriving day before Embarkation - Recommendations

tigerfansga

Mouseketeer
Our flight will be arriving at MCO the day before our embarkation and looking for recommendations. Just myself and my wife no kids #winning. Open to any suggestions on where to stay, what to do that evening and how to get to Port Canaveral (September Sailing).

Current lean is to say at or near the airport and rent a car. Do something in Orlando then drive early to the Port and to embark as early as possible. Pros/Cons/Alternatives

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach pre-cruise last month and enjoyed it. Close to the port, clean rooms, and free breakfast. They do offer shuttle service but we rented a car so can’t comment in that part

We've gotten there the day before on our last two and one two things (spoiler, neither involved renting a car):
1) in March of 2016 we got to MCO about 3 and just stayed at the Hyatt. We left on the first Disney Cruise bus leaving MCO and were in one of the first groups boarding. We ate in the airport, looked through the shops (usually don't have time to do this), swam, and went to bed early.
2) last July we used our DVC points to stay at WDW the night before. We didn't do parks but swam at our resort, did a monorail resort tour and ate at Kona. We didn't want to chance the DCL busses and maybe get there later, although some people like to do that, but we only had a 3 nighter. We booked a transportation service (Tiffany Town Car for us) who picked us up at our resort and took us to the port, and we got there about 10:30. We are doing this again in June.
Now next year we will be saving our DVC points so no resort stay the night before. I think we will probably just do the Hyatt again; no worry about Ubers or renting cars.

FYI:Typical First day at Port Canaveral
9:15-9:30 Parking garage opens.
You will wait outside until the terminal opens.
10:30 Terminal opens. When you arrive and check in you will be given a boarding. The earlier your Port Arrival Time the lower your boarding number.
You can pick your PAT when your booking window opens. If this is your first cruise it’s 75 days prior to your cruise.
11:15-11:30 boarding begins. Platinum and concierge board first and then they start with everyone else.

We've gotten there the day before on our last two and one two things (spoiler, neither involved renting a car):
1) in March of 2016 we got to MCO about 3 and just stayed at the Hyatt. We left on the first Disney Cruise bus leaving MCO and were in one of the first groups boarding. We ate in the airport, looked through the shops (usually don't have time to do this), swam, and went to bed early.
2) last July we used our DVC points to stay at WDW the night before. We didn't do parks but swam at our resort, did a monorail resort tour and ate at Kona. We didn't want to chance the DCL busses and maybe get there later, although some people like to do that, but we only had a 3 nighter. We booked a transportation service (Tiffany Town Car for us) who picked us up at our resort and took us to the port, and we got there about 10:30. We are doing this again in June.
Now next year we will be saving our DVC points so no resort stay the night before. I think we will probably just do the Hyatt again; no worry about Ubers or renting cars.

At the Hyatt/airport are there other things nearby? Might do the Hyatt and a towncar

FYI:Typical First day at Port Canaveral
9:15-9:30 Parking garage opens.
You will wait outside until the terminal opens.
10:30 Terminal opens. When you arrive and check in you will be given a boarding. The earlier your Port Arrival Time the lower your boarding number.
You can pick your PAT when your booking window opens. If this is your first cruise it’s 75 days prior to your cruise.
11:15-11:30 boarding begins. Platinum and concierge board first and then they start with everyone else.

This is our 2nd cruise and our window opens in about a month. I’m definitely wanting to get an early boarding.

With only one night before we like to rent a car and drive to port and stay. Fly in early and enjoy the pool and sunshine for the afternoon with quick drive to the port in the morning.

I prefer to stay at WDW the night before my cruise, but there were no reservations for 1-night except for deluxes. I sailed on the Fantasy last week and was originally planning to rent a car at the airport and stay close to the port. I chose the Marriott in Cocoa Beach (https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/mlbcb-courtyard-cocoa-beach-cape-canaveral/) which does take the free night certificate if you are a rewards member.

It pay to keeps checking as I was able to snag a 1-night reservation at POR. It's just nice coming in the day before and hitting Disney Springs. Even better if you have an annual pass which gives you the ability to go to a park in the day/evening and even for a few hours the morning of embarkation before the bus comes to pick you up at the resort.

If you do chose to stay at the airport, maybe you can go to the Disney Character Warehouse? Have a great trip but I do recommend purchasing travel insurance as September is hurricane season.

We stayed at Homewood Suites Port Canaveral pre-cruise about two years ago. It's the newest of the hotels in that area, has a small pool and hot breakfast in the morning. It was also very close to some fun restaurants at the port, so we had dinner by the water that evening. It was relaxing, but a bit boring honestly.

Before our last cruise, we spent one night at the Yacht Club, spent the evening walking around the Boardwalk and had a nice dinner. It was a lot more fun! If you have no plans of going to the parks, perhaps consider a Disney Springs hotel and spend the evening shopping and dining there?

We are also taking just a Mom & Dad trip on the Dream in August. We elected to book a stay at Hampton Inn just outside the airport, and take private transportation. However our plans just changed, and we are now planning to take the Hampton Inn shuttle back to the airport in the morning and take the DCL Cruise bus out to the port.

One part of me is bummed because I was able to snag my 10:30 PAT. Who knows what boarding group we'll get now that we've signed up for ground transport.

What time do you get in? Coming from the west coast we don’t get in until after 8 pm usually. After a full day of travel we just stay at the Hyatt MCO. While the time change is on our side we are tired from traveling so we don’t need to travel any more that night. A dip in the pool is all we are up for!

We stayed at Homewood Suites Port Canaveral pre-cruise about two years ago. It's the newest of the hotels in that area, has a small pool and hot breakfast in the morning. It was also very close to some fun restaurants at the port, so we had dinner by the water that evening. It was relaxing, but a bit boring honestly.

Before our last cruise, we spent one night at the Yacht Club, spent the evening walking around the Boardwalk and had a nice dinner. It was a lot more fun! If you have no plans of going to the parks, perhaps consider a Disney Springs hotel and spend the evening shopping and dining there?

I would love to do a boardwalk resort even without going to a park. Disney Springs would be nice too

What time do you get in? Coming from the west coast we don’t get in until after 8 pm usually. After a full day of travel we just stay at the Hyatt MCO. While the time change is on our side we are tired from traveling so we don’t need to travel any more that night. A dip in the pool is all we are up for!

Just a short flight from Atlanta, 90 minutes, arriving around 3:30. Too late to justify a one day park pass but we will have some time to do something fun.

I would stay at the Hyatt and use the DCL shuttle from MCO. It’s the easiest and fastest way to arrive early at the terminal, since you can get inside even before the terminal opens as long as you take the first busses. Arriving by car will mean you’ll have to wait in line for the terminal to open. The busses from WDW arrive no sooner than 12:30 - 1PM.

Staying at the Hyatt, we often grab a Lyft/Uber to Disney Springs or CityWalk. We also did SeaWorld last March. Easy and convenient.

I would either stay in Orlando and spend some time at Disney Springs and then drive to port in the morning or just head straight to Cocoa beach and spend some time there.

If your wanting to get on the ship as soon as possible, then staying at the Hyatt and taking the Disney transfer bus would be the way to go. You would be among the first to enter terminal. That is what we do and just visit shops in the mall and eat dinner there. Since you are coming in kind of early that might get a bit boring. I’ve seen recommendations to take the Lynx bus 111 to Florida Mall where there is more to do. That could be an option

We arrive the day before and stay at the Country Inn & Suites. We have a 10:30 PAT and plan to be there by 9:45 as our last cruise we got there at 10:15 and there were a lot more people there ahead of us than we had expected. We usually stay at Disney afterwards instead of before. We drive there instead of flying as we come from ATL and it is only 8 hours to drive.

We arrive the day before and stay at the Country Inn & Suites. We have a 10:30 PAT and plan to be there by 9:45 as our last cruise we got there at 10:15 and there were a lot more people there ahead of us than we had expected. We usually stay at Disney afterwards instead of before. We drive there instead of flying as we come from ATL and it is only 8 hours to drive.

I have driven before, near Atlanta as well. I paid for my flights with miles.

For our last (and first) cruise, we did a few park days before so we took Disney transport from Pop. For our next cruise, we will likely be flying in the day before... still thinking we will probably stay at a Disney resort and do Disney Springs or something the night before.

We like to stay at the MCO Hyatt the night before and take the DCL bus the next morning. The 9 am bus is the first to arrive at the port and there is no waiting outside for it to open. If you take the DCL bus, you are not assigned a PAT. You get there and are admitted into the port when you get there. DCL takes care of all the luggage so we don't have to schlep bags anywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter