Article in USA Today(3-14)...how cheap cruises can turn very expensive.

Evn after adding "extras" I still think cruising is a bargain. $267/pp sounds cheap and it IS, if you don't want to do another thing while on vacation. They went to the spa, etc. Did that list on the side mean they both got haircuts onboard, or just what you could expect to pay? Nurses I work with take advantage of Carnival's cheap 3-4 day cruises all the time and manage to have a great time on a shoestring budget:)

We are going to Las Vegas next month and have already shelled out about $3000 (airfare, room, shows, trip to Grand Canyon), haven't had a meal yet or gambled any, this is almost twice what we paid for a week long cruise, and we'll be in LV 4 days!

A trip to the shore (NC or Myrtle Beach) in the summer will easily surpass the price of a cruise.

So is the low ball price a come-on, of course it is! But anytime you see something that sounds great you should do a little research;)

Loretta

Free 24 hr room service should be tipped (about $1 per person).
We ordered room service once---I went to hand him $5 and he graciously shook his head and said "no thank you. This is not necessary" ? Anyone else have this experience with room service ?

My experience was different. in April 2001,My mother took all of us, including spouses and kids on our first Disney Vacation since we kids (WDW 1973 Off Site).

As adults, my siblings and I have gone on our own, but never stayed on a resort property until then.

I was recovering from a bad bout with the flu, and really did not feel up to all the activities. I ordered room service, both at the Polynesian Resort and on the Wonder. Actually, I was asking for "Beef tea" and crackers. We were not charged at either place for them. In fact, the room steward we had on the Wonder went out of his way to be of assistance.

The expenses can add up VERY fast. We were going to bring some local wine to share with the family and I have found out that you can no longer bring corkscrews or knives on board.

We did do the LARGE bottles of water and were able to have them refilled at the various drink stations or Top-siders, I usually requested just tap water, and they would filled them with chilled water.

Advice -- Watch what you spend at Shutters (the photographers) it wasn't the formal shots, but the candids of the kids that did my family in. And don't let the Spa talk you into anything you don't think you need, and yes, don't buy right after the treatment, wait a couple hours, (or days).

On our first cruise Mom and I went on our own for the shore trip, but then I have lived overseas most of my adult life, and often traveled independently. Except for the tourist souvenirs we did Freeport on $15 total.

Good luck!

The additional charges can add up fast but in my opinion it was worth every cent! Especially the expensive pictures, I doubt I will ever get my family in formal attire except on cruises.
We actually spent more on our 2002 4 day wonder than we did on the 7 day magic back in 2000. But we chose to buy a wine package, internet service, spa treatments, shore excursions. These were the little extras that we chose to spend money on. We didnt do those on our first cruise because we were on a tighter budget then. Both cruises were a blast and you can have a great time without spending a fortune. But it was a lot of fun to splurge for the extras too! Just by reading this board you can kind of figure out ahead of time what you want to spend your $ on. Different things are important to different people. It's hard to not have a great time on a Disney cruise. 1 year till the magic western, October 27, 2004.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter