• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Article: Is Disney Dissing the Disabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rumors Rocks

Mouseketeer
Is Disney Dissing the Disabled to Solve Its Cheating Problem?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2013/10/03/disney-dissing-disabled-solve-abuse-problem/

Experiencing Disney's (DIS) theme parks in this country is going to change for guests with disabilities next week, and they're probably not going to like it.

Oon Oct. 9, the family entertainment giant is eliminating its Guest Assistance Card, a program that's been in place for years as a way for physically or mentally challenged guests to get on rides and attractions without having to line up in the traditional queues.

Disneyland and Disney World visitors lining up at Guest Relations to acquire the card will instead be introduced to the new Disabled Assistance System. Unlike the current program that offers handicapped guests unlimited access to rides with as many as five friends and family-members, the new photo-based passes will force users to wait the entire length of the standby time before boarding. They are welcome to explore the rest of the park in that time, but they can only have one open reservation at a time -- making it somewhat similar to Disney's popular Fastpass program.

That could lead a lot of families who have children with special needs to rethink their next Disney trip.

Carousel of Progress

Many will argue that the new system is more than fair. Why should disabled adults or families with challenged children have an advantage at the theme parks? The Americans with Disabilities Act was put into place to level the experience. It wasn't drafted so handicapped patrons would enjoy more shows and attractions.

The Guest Assistance Card system was also widely and easily abused. Disney can't hold out for proof of a disability as part of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which led to a lot of ruthless teens and even adults renting wheelchairs or making up maladies to be bestowed the time-saving pass.

That was already a problem, but everything blew up in May when a scathing New York Post exposé detailed how a disabled woman was making money selling VIP tours to affluent families. Well-to-do New Yorkers were paying $130 an hour -- far less than Disney's own VIP offering -- for "black-market Disney guides" whose presence would let them bypass the long queues at Disney World.

"My daughter waited one minute to get on It's a Small World," a mother bragged. "The other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours."

Truth be told, no one has ever had to wait 150 minutes for that particular attraction, but the furor resulted in a growing backlash against the Guest Assistance Card.

Disney needed a solution. It chose the Disabled Assistance System.

Toy Story Mania

There is no easy compromise, but in the push to inconvenience the abusers Disney finds itself punishing those that actually need the pass.

As the father of a child with special needs, future visits to the parks with my son will be more challenging and less frequent.

He was misdiagnosed with hydrocephalus at birth 15 years ago, and a year after the ventricular shunt was put in we received a bombshell: brain cancer. After surgery and a couple rounds of chemotherapy failed to eradicate the disease we were down to the unsavory option of radiation. It worked -- he's been cancer free for a dozen years -- but you don't nuke a child's brain and get a fairy tale ending.

He goes through hours of therapy a week to deal with the development delays, sensory integration issues, and emotional demons that he tackles perpetually. His setbacks fall into the autism spectrum, and that's essentially the only kind of school that will take him.

When we go to the parks, it's never an all-day affair. Like many children with ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome, and other autistic strains or afflictions that cut social outings short, we're there for a couple of hours at best.

Armed with charter annual passes and the Guest Assistance Card we've been able to tackle a lot before it's time to head out as the crowds storm in. We were never able to conquer as many rides and attractions as all-day guests despite paying as much. The new Disabled Assistance System will make visits by parents of autistic children even less productive before meltdowns and stern looks from judgmental park guests cut short treks even shorter.

One can only imagine that bookings for Comcast's (CMCSA) Universal Orlando resort will spike for families with special needs children and disabled Florida tourists in general. All guests staying at any of the three on-site hotels receive expedited entrance on most of the Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure rides.

Disney and rival theme parks have been cognizant of disabilities by making queues wider for guests with wheelchairs and other mobility issues on newer attractions. But it will be hard to pacify those who have behavioral issues where a lack of patience isn't a matter of being spoiled.

Disney did work with Autism Speaks on the new policy, and the advocacy group is urging parents to see how it unfolds before raising a stink.

That's fair. I'll give it a shot later this month to see how it plays out. But I know I won't be the only flustered parent that's bracing for the worst.

What a touching, well-written article. Please understand that my comment is *not* intended to sound flippant or patronizing - my question is a genuine one. What do you propose as a reasonable alternative to what was clearly a "broken" system?

- Sara

What a touching, well-written article. Please understand that my comment is *not* intended to sound flippant or patronizing - my question is a genuine one. What do you propose as a reasonable alternative to what was clearly a "broken" system?

- Sara
I was wondering the same thing. The old way didn't work and now there is worry that this won't work either. The whole situation seems to be a bit of a mess.

I always find it a bit odd that whenever Disney does something new or changes a system or program, some folks immediately declare it a total disaster before it has even been tried or tested.

This DAS system is similar to the same systems used in many theme parks and seems to be working there.

Folks lets give it a chance!:thumbsup2

AKK

When we go to the parks, it's never an all-day affair. Like many children with ADHD, Asperger's Syndrome, and other autistic strains or afflictions that cut social outings short, we're there for a couple of hours at best.

Armed with charter annual passes and the Guest Assistance Card we've been able to tackle a lot before it's time to head out as the crowds storm in. We were never able to conquer as many rides and attractions as all-day guests despite paying as much. The new Disabled Assistance System will make visits by parents of autistic children even less productive before meltdowns and stern looks from judgmental park guests cut short treks even shorter.

See, this is the kind of thing that drives me and others nuts. This is his lot in life, the cards he was dealt with his son, and while it completely sucks, why would he think that WDW or any place for that matter should look at his situation and say, "oh well, he spends the same amount of money on a ticket but can't stay long so we should just let him on all of the rides first with no wait."??? My feet KILL me by the end of the day to where I feel this side of crippled trying to walk, and I too would LOVE for someone to feel sorry for me but I'm not entitled to that. Disney is a luxury, and if you can't manage it, you just can't manage it. None of us get to do absolutely everything that the parks offer, due to many reasons. Be it, I only have enough money to go for one day, or the lines were too long so I had to pick and chose which things were must do's. Should WDW feel obligated to make sure that I get to bypass the lines because I'm too poor to afford more days at the parks? I'm sorry that these children are afflicted with these things, but a Disney trip is NOT a God given right but everyone has this sense of entitlement these days of "me and my kid first".

Here's a good article that explains the other side -
Use, not abuse, forced Disney to change its disabled access system

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/

Excellent article! Thank you so much for sharing. I have been saying this from the get go.

See, this is the kind of thing that drives me and others nuts. This is his lot in life, the cards he was dealt with his son, and while it completely sucks, why would he think that WDW or any place for that matter should look at his situation and say, "oh well, he spends the same amount of money on a ticket but can't stay long so we should just let him on all of the rides first with no wait."??? My feet KILL me by the end of the day to where I feel this side of crippled trying to walk, and I too would LOVE for someone to feel sorry for me but I'm not entitled to that. Disney is a luxury, and if you can't manage it, you just can't manage it. None of us get to do absolutely everything that the parks offer, due to many reasons. Be it, I only have enough money to go for one day, or the lines were too long so I had to pick and chose which things were must do's. Should WDW feel obligated to make sure that I get to bypass the lines because I'm too poor to afford more days at the parks? I'm sorry that these children are afflicted with these things, but a Disney trip is NOT a God given right but everyone has this sense of entitlement these days of "me and my kid first".

Agreed 100%!

No offense Midwaystate (as a person that has to watch Marc Andre fleury all year again)...

But while you have valid points...they seems to be covered in an implied "why shouldn't I get it?" Sauce.

I can't begrudge special accommodations for those that can't fit within the sometimes rigid mold of "society".

Is there abuse - intentional or otherwise - yes. It's not right and I admit that I have a huge problem with some of the things going on with electric vehicles.
But I didnt have a problem with the general idea of the policy.

My problem is that Disney is...again...in my opinion nitpicking "policies" when they aren't doing enough investment to justify their pricing to the consumer.
And yes...I'm referring to timelock radio cups for my Mr. Pibb.

Fire whoever comes up with these "efficiency" tweaks...cause just like the ones my idiot boss comes up with...they are useless.

It's also kinda ironic that a place where they are trying to eliminate waits for everyone so they can get you into the giftshop and lay off employees is worried about some people's waits being too short...that's kinda bunk.

No offense Midwaystate (as a person that has to watch Marc Andre fleury all year again)...

But while you have valid points...they seems to be covered in an implied "why shouldn't I get it?" Sauce.

I can't begrudge special accommodations for those that can't fit within the sometimes rigid mold of "society".

Is there abuse - intentional or otherwise - yes. It's not right and I admit that I have a huge problem with some of the things going on with electric vehicles.

My problem is that Disney is...again...in my opinion nitpicking "policies" when they aren't doing enough investment to justify their pricing to the consumer.

Fire whoever comes up with these "efficiency" tweaks...cause just like the ones my idiot boss comes up with...they are useless.

It's also kinda ironic that a place where they are trying to eliminate waits for everyone so they can get you into the giftshop and lay off employees is worried about some people's waits being too short...that's kinda bunk.

forgive me but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

this is what I heard. :happytv:

http://youtu.be/Izpa9D7c77U

forgive me but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying?

I don't quite understand either...I think he is saying that instead of worrying about nitpicking the GAC policies, they should be concentrating on giving you the most for your money and not raising ticket prices without giving something in return for that increase?

I have talked a whole lot with Midway on this issue, and I can assure you that she is in no way against some type of policy...but believes that the current system is obviously not working. Same as I do.

I agree with the article in the link that another poster posted. I also believe that what it says in that article combined with this new MagicBand FP+ system....well there is the answer to the question of why, more than outright abuse.

Comment below that article points out that those in need of accommodation can use FP+ in combination with the new access policy. So you can get on to 3 rides per day on a scheduled basis, while waiting out the standby time for others.

So, yes, some rides have 2 hour waits. Choose those for FP+. Wait about 20 minutes for the rest of them. Seems very reasonable.

Here's a good article that explains the other side -
Use, not abuse, forced Disney to change its disabled access system

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3695/

I had read this article earlier and it hits the nail right on the head. Everyone knows someone with one of these ailments. If we give all of them and 5 other family members front of the line access eventually the "alternate entrance" becomes the line. Standby would go out the window because the only way to get on a ride at disney is if you have a disability. Where do you draw the line?

It makes perfect sense to change the current system.

Comment below that article points out that those in need of accommodation can use FP+ in combination with the new access policy. So you can get on to 3 rides per day on a scheduled basis, while waiting out the standby time for others.

So, yes, some rides have 2 hour waits. Choose those for FP+. Wait about 20 minutes for the rest of them. Seems very reasonable.
I'd say that many of the disabled can use FP+. Those who stay offsite may not be able to or at least can't do so yet.

Although I use a scooter and go thru all of the mainlines that I can (and use fastpass where I can), there are areas/rides/shows that I cannot navigate easy. Certainly not a God given right that I should have access to everything -- but it is an America given right. And Disney understands this -- Walt certainly did. He wanted a family park, not a park for just families that had the ability to wait, but for all families.

I have never felt the need to use a GAC. Hopefully I never will need the new access program either.

If I could only walk out of the parks at the end of the day saying "My feet are KILLING me."

Your lack of compassion toward a parent with a child who has been thru hell is astounding. I would gladly wait a few extra minutes and be happy not to be in either the parents or child's situation.

I truly hope that you and your family always enjoy good health (from the bottom of my heart!), but I do hope you can find some compassion. And as an aside, this is not "what is driving you nuts" -- you are choosing to go nuts all by yourself. Neither this parent nor Disney said "Let's see how we can drive MidwayState crazy" -- all they did was try to make it easier for a sick child and his parents to have a little enjoyment. Relax, go with the flow. And don't drive yourself nuts over other's misfortunes.

Now if you want to go after the cheaters..... I'm in.

Your lack of compassion toward a parent with a child who has been thru hell is astounding. I would gladly wait a few extra minutes and be happy not to be in either the parents or child's situation.

GAC was never intended to be a way to skip lines. Sounds like the new system establishes "virtual" FP like ques for disabled guests. Sounds like the computer will be getting rid of the CM discretion which resulted in the GAC system being front of the line type access for some (many?) guests.

The comments made, not sure about this thread, were in response to the posters who don't like being treated the same as others. A child has a short attention before melting down. That doesn't mean he should get front of the line access so the (extended) family can do all the major attractions in a few hours.

The discussion of the "cheaters" may have accelerated the review. The number of guests using GAC probably required the changes

Disabled persons are a diverse group and have diverse needs. The new policy can make it impossible for some disabled persons to go to Disney. When you have a disabled child or family member it may be very hard to live on a schedule. The disabled person may have personal care issues that come up without warning. For example bathroom issues. It is not simple to just go to the bathroom. A disabled person may have to be changed or even redressed depending on the situation. That is just one example though there are many. By having a set time to be at an attraction it makes it impossible for some disabled people to go to Disney, because they may not be able to make it to the ride at time stated, then if they have other times to be at a different ride it may through that time off or may cause the disabled person to wait for their spot in line twice as long as a non disable spot because they have an emergency need come up preventing them from being at their spot on time so would have to start the waiting process again.

The current process is helpful because you can get on a ride while it is a good moment for the disabled person and they can enjoy the ride before a bad moment arises. It is such a shame that a handful of dishonest people may prevent disabled persons around the world to go to Disney. I think there should be a registration. Check in when arriving at the park. Gather identifying info on the disabled person. Track it. If you see the same person coming back to the park daily with a different group of people then investigate that person and sanction them, but don't fault the honest people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter