Artist Point Review - June 2014

DonaldDoleWhip

DIS Veteran
To anyone reading - welcome! This review is from the beginning of June, so the posted menus should still be accurate (with one exception: the Copper River salmon might no longer be in season).

DSC_0147_zps7c78b74e.jpg

Artist Point has been our favorite Disney restaurant for quite a while now, but this time it happened to be our only signature meal of the trip. This raised our expectations even higher than usual, as we didn't want to regret our decision.

DSC_0189_zps284e4803.jpg

Shortly after arriving, we were seated at a window table overlooking the resort courtyard. Even though construction was taking place outside, we still enjoyed the seclusion of our table, as well as our view of the restaurant's beautiful murals.

DSC_0240_zpsff3d04d0.jpg

DSC_0188_zpsb61fce49.jpg

Here's a look at the menu, which featured Copper River Salmon at the time of our meal.

IMG_9491_zpsaed98b79.jpg

IMG_9494_zps00e9d0fd.jpg

The meal began with Artist Point's sourdough bread, butter with sea salt, and fennel-infused oil. The fennel flavor and crunch from the sea salt make this bread basket one of my favorites in WDW.

DSC_0153_zpsb40bb3cb.jpg

My starter was the Chilled Ahi Tuna with Yuzu Avocado Crema, Watermelon Vinaigrette, Radish, and Togarashi Sunchoke Chips - I absolutely loved it. The tuna itself was spiced well, and the yuzu avocado crema perfectly united the creaminess of avocado with the citrusy flavor of yuzu. Finished with a salty crunch from the sunchoke chips and some black sea salt, this dish was full of incredible flavors.

DSC_0156_zpsf01e7b30.jpg

The other appetizer on the table was the Delta Asparagus Salad with White Asparagus Crema, Boursin Cheese, Poached Quail Eggs, Serrano Ham Crisps, Figs, and Cabernet Dressing. This dish also got great feedback, and I enjoyed the one bite I tried (consisting of asparagus, radish, and quail egg).

DSC_0157_zpsbcba36f6.jpg

For my main course, I had to go with the "First of the Season" Cedar Plank-roasted Copper River Wild King Salmon. The accompaniments change seasonally - this time the salmon was served with Fregola Pasta, English Spring Peas, Zellwood Sweet Corn, Peppadew Peppers, Cipollini Onions, Pea Nage, and Sundried Tomato and Cabernet Aioli.

As usual, the salmon was prepared extremely well, although I have to admit that the accompaniments didn't excite me as much as they have in the past. The sundried tomato and cabernet aioli had a bold flavor that I enjoyed, but the pea puree didn't complement the fish, IMO. The pasta was also somewhat basic, but at least the sweetness of the corn added a nice flavor.

DSC_0162_zpsb3a0a8ba.jpg

The real surprise of the evening was the Applewood-smoked Cornish Hen with Fava Beans, Artichokes, Toasted Cashews, Wild Rice, Roasted Red Pearl Onions, Sweet Cherry Marmalade, and Fresh "Unpitted" Cherries. The bird itself was surprisingly moist and packed with flavor from the spice rub, with skin that was delightfully crispy. The saltiness of the cashews and the intense, concentrated cherry marmalade also complemented the poultry (even if the marmalade was rather sweet on its own). Not only were the flavors great, but the portion was extremely large, and the price was reasonable for a signature entree ($29). That's actually lower than the cost of my entree at Teppan Edo lunch, which wasn't nearly as good.

DSC_0169_zpse26b3933.jpg

Somehow, we saved room for dessert - here's the menu:

IMG_9508_zps8915f250.jpg

Although the cobbler is a favorite of mine, I decided to try something different: the Pistachio Cheesecake with Blackberry Port Sauce, Vanilla Crème Fraîche, and Blackberries. This was a very nice dessert, with the texture being lighter than New York-style cheesecake. The fresh blackberries were also a great touch, pairing well with the cheesecake's cherry-like flavor. My one wish is that there had been more of the Blackberry Port sauce, which was absolutely delicious.

DSC_0184_zps9346455c.jpg

Of course, I was still jealous of the other dessert on the table: the Artist Point Cobbler with Seasonal Berries and House-made Black Raspberry Ice Cream. Warm, almost gooey, and studded with blueberries, the cobbler contrasts perfectly with the cool ice cream and berries on top. This is one of my favorite WDW desserts, and next time I won't stray from it (no matter how tempting the other options are)!

DSC_0177_zps304e1421.jpg

Overall, our meal at Artist Point was exactly what we wanted it to be. The flavors were unique, seasonal, and clearly influenced by the Pacific Northwest, with lots of berries, seafood, and fresh produce to be found throughout our courses. Service was also great, as Bob was friendly and attentive from start to finish, and the atmosphere was tranquil and relaxing as usual. As we exited the lodge and walked back to our car, we definitely felt satisfied with our signature restaurant choice; Artist Point nailed it again for us, and I highly recommend it.

DSC_0193_zps2e1576d6.jpg

Ooh I'm staying 1 night at WL and now may have to try Artist Point for the desserts alone!

Thank you!

OMGoodness, all the choices look superb! I love the beautiful colours of both the tuna and the salad, I would be hard pressed to make a choice between the two. Your salmon looks delectable but I'm surprised at how much I'm tempted by the chicken dish. I rarely order chicken when I'm at Disney since I eat so much of it at home, but that truly looks marvellous. I think the creative accompaniments make all the difference. Your pistachio cheesecake looks good but I'm all about the cobbler at AP. :cloud9: As you know, this was our favourite Signature restaurant on our last trip and after reading Barb's review and now yours ... it look like AP is still hitting it out of the park. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for another wonderful review and gorgeous photos! :goodvibes

Fabulous meal from the start to your sweet ending : ) Your salads looked amazing as did both the entrees, very fresh ingredients which I love. I think the berry cobbler looks like the winning dessert for me personally. We have reservations in November during our stay at WL and as I keep seeing several reviews I am hoping we love it too : )
Beautiful pictures (( amazing ))

Always one of our favorites...didn't see the pork belly/quail egg appetizer that was on the menu during our March visit. My family still talks about that one!

Thanks for your review and the pics. Glad you had another great meal. We've only been to Artist Point once, but we had such a great experience that we can't wait to go back.

Wonderful review of Artist Point!! :thumbsup2 If I didn't already have plans to dine at Artist Point again on my next trip, your review would have convinced me to add it. Hopefully it will help to convince other readers to give this great restaurant a try.

Sadly my timing has always been off, so I've never been able to have the Copper River salmon...but it is my goal to do so someday. However, many years ago I vowed to never go to Disney World again during the summer months due to the hot weather and crowds (I can handle one or the other but not both ;) ). But since the Copper River salmon season always falls in very late May/early June, I might have to break my vow.

Anyway, back to your meal. It looks like your side dish was the same that I had a month earlier only they have added corn to the mix. Although I liked this dish when I had it last month, I think the corn addition would have been a great improvement. I guess I must have been there a little too early to get in on the Zellwood sweet corn too. :worried:

Wonderful review of AP
We've only dined there once before and really must get back there at some point!

Wow, what an awesome meal. Agree the salmon sides seem to be lacking but the rest look amazing. Plan on trying it for the first time in September so thanks for solidifying the choice.

My d and her bf are taking their first trip to WDW in August, and Artist Point will be their big romantic splurge dinner. It looks as if they made a great choice. Thanks for a great review and the wonderful photos.

Looks great! I especially like the looks of the asparagus salad and the cobbler.:love:
The asparagus salad definitely got good feedback, and I'd always recommend the cobbler (in its current form). :thumbsup2

Ooh I'm staying 1 night at WL and now may have to try Artist Point for the desserts alone!

Thank you!
I hope you like AP if you end up trying it! Otherwise, you can always sample the berry cobbler at Territory Lounge. (Some people have had success ordering from AP's full menu there, but that isn't always guaranteed.)

OMGoodness, all the choices look superb! I love the beautiful colours of both the tuna and the salad, I would be hard pressed to make a choice between the two. Your salmon looks delectable but I'm surprised at how much I'm tempted by the chicken dish. I rarely order chicken when I'm at Disney since I eat so much of it at home, but that truly looks marvellous. I think the creative accompaniments make all the difference. Your pistachio cheesecake looks good but I'm all about the cobbler at AP. :cloud9: As you know, this was our favourite Signature restaurant on our last trip and after reading Barb's review and now yours ... it look like AP is still hitting it out of the park. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much for another wonderful review and gorgeous photos! :goodvibes
The tuna and asparagus salad were both beautifully presented (especially the asparagus IMO), and they also tasted really good. :goodvibes The Cornish hen was awesome - I tried some and felt it was the winner of the entree round...and it cost $20 less! It was a surprisingly creative entree, and again, the presentation were beautiful. Glad you enjoyed the review!

Fabulous meal from the start to your sweet ending : ) Your salads looked amazing as did both the entrees, very fresh ingredients which I love. I think the berry cobbler looks like the winning dessert for me personally. We have reservations in November during our stay at WL and as I keep seeing several reviews I am hoping we love it too : )
Beautiful pictures (( amazing ))
Agreed on the fresh, seasonal ingredients - it's one of the reasons why we've visited AP repeatedly and been delighted each time. The berry cobbler was definitely the winning dessert, no contest - I hope you enjoy it and have a great meal there!

Always one of our favorites...didn't see the pork belly/quail egg appetizer that was on the menu during our March visit. My family still talks about that one!
Yep, I remember seeing that dish on the menu, and it sounds like people really liked it. While it's sad that good dishes are constantly being removed, I appreciate that the chefs are constantly trying to keep things seasonal and interesting. We always find something to enjoy, regardless of the changes. :thumbsup2

Thanks for your review and the pics. Glad you had another great meal. We've only been to Artist Point once, but we had such a great experience that we can't wait to go back.
I hope you still enjoy Artist Point whenever you make it back! If you had a great experience before, I'm sure you'll find plenty to like, even though a lot of dishes have received updates.

Wonderful review of Artist Point!! :thumbsup2 If I didn't already have plans to dine at Artist Point again on my next trip, your review would have convinced me to add it. Hopefully it will help to convince other readers to give this great restaurant a try.

Sadly my timing has always been off, so I've never been able to have the Copper River salmon...but it is my goal to do so someday. However, many years ago I vowed to never go to Disney World again during the summer months due to the hot weather and crowds (I can handle one or the other but not both ;) ). But since the Copper River salmon season always falls in very late May/early June, I might have to break my vow.

Anyway, back to your meal. It looks like your side dish was the same that I had a month earlier only they have added corn to the mix. Although I liked this dish when I had it last month, I think the corn addition would have been a great improvement. I guess I must have been there a little too early to get in on the Zellwood sweet corn too. :worried:
Glad to hear Artist Point was already in your plans. I love sharing my Artist Point experiences with people who've never been, but it's also a positive for AP that you didn't need any persuading. :laughing:

Copper River salmon season always varies by a few days, but I think the last week of May and the first week of June would be pretty safe bets - hopefully you'll get to try it! Regarding the sides, it definitely comes down to personal taste, but the pasta and pea puree didn't add much to the salmon besides color/texture. Less pasta/pea puree, and more corn/tomatoes/aioli would've been my preference. :)

Wonderful review of AP
We've only dined there once before and really must get back there at some point!
I hope you can get back to AP eventually! While most of the menu is subject to change, I'd always recommend it for the mushroom soup and berry cobbler. :thumbsup2

Wow, what an awesome meal. Agree the salmon sides seem to be lacking but the rest look amazing. Plan on trying it for the first time in September so thanks for solidifying the choice.
I hope you really enjoy your first meal at Artist Point! I think you've made a great choice, as AP has always stood out to me for its menu and relaxing atmosphere. :goodvibes

My d and her bf are taking their first trip to WDW in August, and Artist Point will be their big romantic splurge dinner. It looks as if they made a great choice. Thanks for a great review and the wonderful photos.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the review, and I hope your daughter and her BF have a great trip together! Hopefully Artist Point will impress them, especially if they already showed an interest in AP's menu.

Oh man! After your AP review I'm thinking perhaps I've judged them too harshly/ That meal looks fabulous. Interestingly, I am craving that Delta Asparagus dish more than anything. That is just so well done.

I'm glad to see the cobbler still on the menu and prominently featured. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Wow everything looks amazing and the quality of the pictures are just stunning. We are staying at the WL in December and may consider this restaurant for our date night, just looks wonderful!!

Oh man! After your AP review I'm thinking perhaps I've judged them too harshly/ That meal looks fabulous. Interestingly, I am craving that Delta Asparagus dish more than anything. That is just so well done.

I'm glad to see the cobbler still on the menu and prominently featured. :)

Thanks for sharing!
I hope you give AP another try eventually - it's been my favorite for a few years now and is still going strong. :goodvibes The asparagus tasted seriously good - I would've liked more than a bite of that one!

Wow everything looks amazing and the quality of the pictures are just stunning. We are staying at the WL in December and may consider this restaurant for our date night, just looks wonderful!!
If you try AP, I hope you like it! Plus, it's always nice when you can walk straight from your room to dinner. :)

So glad I found your review. We have a reservation for AP on September, and I was thinking about changing it. Now I'll look forward to a wonderful meal! One silly question....do you have any idea if I can get vanilla ice cream with the cobbler instead of the black raspberry? :rolleyes1

Beautiful photos and great review!! :thumbsup2
Artist Point is a family favorite for us and I'm hoping they'll have that Pistachio Cheesecake when we visit in a couple of months. Looks delish!

So glad I found your review. We have a reservation for AP on September, and I was thinking about changing it. Now I'll look forward to a wonderful meal! One silly question....do you have any idea if I can get vanilla ice cream with the cobbler instead of the black raspberry? :rolleyes1

I'm not the OP, but yes, I always ask for vanilla ice cream with my cobbler - prefer that over the raspberry - and they've always been able to provide it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter