As I was standing in line at DHS...

No it won't 2.8 is the estimated number for DHS. The rest goes to MK and Epcot.

That is such alot of money we'll still have construction in 2020 I'd estimate. From a business point of view it makes more sense for them to spread it over multiple years

That is such alot of money we'll still have construction in 2020 I'd estimate. From a business point of view it makes more sense for them to spread it over multiple years
Yep 2021 is the estimated completion year.

I look forward to it. It can only be good for the Park and the resort.

Then can we have the same money again for EPCOT? :D
Epcot is getting an estimated 300-350 million from this overall budget so they will be getting some love.

Many years back, 1992 I believe, we were standing in MK waiting for the parade and struck up a conversation with a cast member about the then "future" of WDW.
He told us of a new 4th park that would be coming and that it would be themed around animals ..... Hmmm - they know more then what we are lead to believe.

quick answer: I'm new to this and trying to figure everything out:)
Well welcome but you dont need to say following on every thread. If you want to reply to a comment that someone has said click the reply button.

Not to be a naysayer (o.k, guess I am...and a bit jaded) but 2021 ain't gonna happen...sorry, people. How long did it take Cars Land to complete and open...and Avatarland? It's already 2015...SW VII comes out at the end of this year; SW VIII won't be wrapped until 2017, maybe 2018, and SW IX, 2020. The don't need to give fans anything until that series of movies have been wound up and incorporated into the myth.

Disney, Inc., isn't going to start closing off large swaths of DHS to construct Star Wars Land until Avatarland is open and the last Avatar movie has been released, and where there are other areas that they can send people to while that much of DHS is closed. More than likely, they'll get Pixar Place completed before starting Star Wars.

We're being strung along people...

Not to be a naysayer (o.k, guess I am...and a bit jaded) but 2021 ain't gonna happen...sorry, people. How long did it take Cars Land to complete and open...and Avatarland? It's already 2015...SW VII comes out at the end of this year; SW VIII won't be wrapped until 2017, maybe 2018, and SW IX, 2020. The don't need to give fans anything until that series of movies have been wound up and incorporated into the myth.

Disney, Inc., isn't going to start closing off large swaths of DHS to construct Star Wars Land until Avatarland is open and the last Avatar movie has been released, and where there are other areas that they can send people to while that much of DHS is closed. More than likely, they'll get Pixar Place completed before starting Star Wars.

We're being strung along people...
Most of the design work for this is well underway or completed. When they announced avatar they didn't have any of that done yet. 2021 is six year away and I don't see why it wouldn't be completed by then. Cars opened in 2012 and if I'm not mistaken only took around 3 years to build. From breaking ground to finish avatar should take just over three years as well. DHS already has had major closures and more are coming I don't see why you think they'll wait. Budgets have been approved and things should start happening fairly soon.

I think they'll have to finish Pixar Place first before starting on SW Land. Disney, Inc., wants to make sure they continue, or even bring more, patrons to the Gate before they embark on that extensive of a redo. $3 billion over 6 years is really only $2.5 billion in today's dollars...barely twice as much as they spent on the DCA refurbishment and DHS desparetely needs more than twice what they did at DCA to make it a full day, or more, park. If their intent is to spread out the guests equally among the Gates, they have to do something with the disparity of offerings to want us to spend more time not in MK & EPCOT. DCA was already a day+ park, now they've made it a 2-day park...going to take a lot more vision to bring DHS up to a 2-day park and 3 or 4 rides plus some scenery isn't going to do it. They might open the first phase of the "new" DHS in 6 years, but truly doubt they'll be finished by 2021.

I think they'll have to finish Pixar Place first before starting on SW Land. Disney, Inc., wants to make sure they continue, or even bring more, patrons to the Gate before they embark on that extensive of a redo. $3 billion over 6 years is really only $2.5 billion in today's dollars...barely twice as much as they spent on the DCA refurbishment and DHS desparetely needs more than twice what they did at DCA to make it a full day, or more, park. If their intent is to spread out the guests equally among the Gates, they have to do something with the disparity of offerings to want us to spend more time not in MK & EPCOT. DCA was already a day+ park, now they've made it a 2-day park...going to take a lot more vision to bring DHS up to a 2-day park and 3 or 4 rides plus some scenery isn't going to do it. They might open the first phase of the "new" DHS in 6 years, but truly doubt they'll be finished by 2021.
Why can't they start both projects? I think it's a given that Pixar opens first but why can't you have two projects running simultaneously? The project will most definitely be done in phases with it finishing around 2021 give or take a year.

DHS is getting 2.8 billion not 2.5. DHS has never really had a lot of rides. The park was built to be a working studio and we all know that didn't pan out. First phase in 6 years?!? That's crazy slow even by Disney standards. Pixar is likely to be done in 2018. These are kiddie rides not 6 new E tickets. I really don't see why you don't think they can have this done by 2021? Disney used to build parks in two years. DCA redo was done in 3. When money is there Disney can build things faster and the money is there.

O.k., we'll see...I truly hope you're right. That would be right at my daughter's high school graduaton and a great excuse...er, opportunity to go. FWIW, I was discounting the $2.8 billion spent over the next 6 years to a lump sum in today's dollars. They've only budgeted $2.8 billion for the refurbishment...they haven't physically set it aside...ergo, it can be reapportioned at any time.

Yeah? Well....the guy in hour resort lobby, checking in bags for ME express told me my room toilet would flush itself if left alone.

We waited all week. Sadly, I believe he was wrong, or ours was broke-ified.

Guess I should have maybe asked our Mousekeeper. Bet she would have known. :sad1:

:p

Why can't they start both projects? I think it's a given that Pixar opens first but why can't you have two projects running simultaneously? The project will most definitely be done in phases with it finishing around 2021 give or take a year.

DHS is getting 2.8 billion not 2.5. DHS has never really had a lot of rides. The park was built to be a working studio and we all know that didn't pan out. First phase in 6 years?!? That's crazy slow even by Disney standards. Pixar is likely to be done in 2018. These are kiddie rides not 6 new E tickets. I really don't see why you don't think they can have this done by 2021? Disney used to build parks in two years. DCA redo was done in 3. When money is there Disney can build things faster and the money is there.

One reason to not do both is if the Star Wars expansion will requite the closure of more attractions. The Pixar area may not require any additional closures so they can get that open to provide more attractions, then close the stuff needed to do Star Wars.

I would also think that Disney would want most if not all construction done by MK 50th birthday which is in Oct 2021. As I think they will make a pretty big deal about it.

Please keep in mind this is just my opinion.

I would also think that Disney would want most if not all construction done by MK 50th birthday which is in Oct 2021. As I think they will make a pretty big deal about it.

Please keep in mind this is just my opinion.
It is said that the DHS additions could be sold as one of the big additions for the 50th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter