• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

AS Movies will not open by the end of Feb

bookgirl

DIS Veteran
I have a trip planned for the end of Feb/Begining of March and was staying at Movies. I recieved an email to day that they will not be opening by my trip. They said they would contact me withing 4 weeks of my trip which makes me think they're going to wait to see if I cancel by my Jan deadline LOL

I honestly can't say whether an upgrade would change my mind.

That's correct; they announced a new opening date of March 22 on Monday. You will likely be upgraded to Pop or AOA.

I have a trip planned for the end of Feb/Begining of March and was staying at Movies. I recieved an email to day that they will not be opening by my trip. They said they would contact me withing 4 weeks of my trip which makes me think they're going to wait to see if I cancel by my Jan deadline LOL

I honestly can't say whether an upgrade would change my mind.
You can call now and see what they'll give you...most likely it'll be Pop/AoA...kinda depends on the person whether that's an "upgrade" not, but you never know, call ask for what you want and see what they say.

Any of the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA will be a downgrade and I doubt they throw a family suite at a single. To be honest I dislike AoA (it’s my least favorite resort on any level) so that would absolutely be a deal breaker.

POP while not a favorite resort, it does have the refurbished rooms which I’ve stayed in before so that’s a maybe.
I’ll probably think on it a couple of days then call.

Any of the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA will be a downgrade and I doubt they throw a family suite at a single. To be honest I dislike AoA (it’s my least favorite resort on any level) so that would absolutely be a deal breaker.

POP while not a favorite resort, it does have the refurbished rooms which I’ve stayed in before so that’s a maybe.
I’ll probably think on it a couple of days then call.
They might also offer you a Moderate.

They might also offer you a Moderate.
Maybe.

Like I said. Even an upgrade would not be a factor in my decision on whether I go or not but some resorts would be a def no.

I’ve stayed at all the mods and while PO is actually my favorite resort, I’m actually ambivalent about the others.

Do you think it is better to call now or wait for them to contact me? I booked AS Mo because I did not want to be at a resort that uses the skyliner for transportation. That would leave Coronado Springs. Also, I am staying 1 less day than originally booked. While that cause me to lose the ability to transfer the reservation with no increase in cost?

Do you think it is better to call now or wait for them to contact me? I booked AS Mo because I did not want to be at a resort that uses the skyliner for transportation. That would leave Coronado Springs. Also, I am staying 1 less day than originally booked. While that cause me to lose the ability to transfer the reservation with no increase in cost?

AOA has buses running to DHS and Epcot, so you wouldn't need to use the Skyliner there. Pop does not, but you could walk to the AOA buses from Pop.

I’m booked in a preferred room at Asmo same time as the OP, I never got an email and only found out here. I don’t like Pop and a Little Mermaid room would be too far from the food court etc. I have issue with walking, not enough for wheelchair or ECV, but enough I try to minimize walking as much as possible. Wondering if I should call and see what the options are and do I just call the reservations line or is there another number for that? Also is there an option to change dates for when the resort will be open with the price protection?

Last edited:
I’m booked in a preferred room at Asmo same time as the OP, I never got an email and only found out here. I don’t like Pop and a Little Mermaid room would be too far from the food court etc. I have issue with walking, not enough for wheelchair or ECV, but enough I try to minimize walking as much as possible. Wondering if I should call and see what the options are and do I just call the reservations line or is there another number for that? Also is there an option to change dates for when the resort will be open with the price protection?
I would call now and do not accept anything that you won't stick with. It's a lot harder, if not impossible, to get an upgrade or change at all with price protection after you've agreed and switched to an open resort. If you call and they don't offer you anything you're satisfied with, just say you'll have to think about and leave it at Movies for now and try again another time.

I'm not sure if you'll end up getting anything other than Pop/Little Mermaid as they seem more strict than before regarding upgrading, but I'd say trying the above way is your best shot. Good luck!

that's awesome pArKsFaN! I called and she offered Pop in a preferred room or AoA Little Mermaid. I did what brockash said and told her I'd think about it. I'll wait and call back and see if I get a better offer. I would definitely say yes to Finding Nemo room. Did you ask for that or ask for anything in particular or did they just offer it straight up?
My reservation at Movies starts 2/9 and they called me tonight. Dizneedoll, I was also preferred and was offered a Finding Nemo suite at AOA which is centrally located👍

that's awesome pArKsFaN! I called and she offered Pop in a preferred room or AoA Little Mermaid. I did what brockash said and told her I'd think about it. I'll wait and call back and see if I get a better offer. I would definitely say yes to Finding Nemo room. Did you ask for that or ask for anything in particular or did they just offer it straight up?
No, that’s what they offered up and I didn’t try for anything different. I’m sure offers could vary from person to person based on their travel dates, length of stay, occupancy at the available resorts, etc. Hopefully when you call back you’ll get something that works better for you 🍀

Wondering if I should call and see what the options are and do I just call the reservations line or is there another number for that? Also is there an option to change dates for when the resort will be open with the price protection?
If you call in, you get a regular CM that does all kinds of reservation questions. They can help you, but may not have as much leeway in what they offer you. You can ask that CM for guest services, who may have more options. However, if you wait for them to call you, you'll be talking to a CM who is specifically making these kinds of calls, and will know all the options.

On the other hand, if you wait for them to call you, fewer resorts may have openings for your dates. That could be a good thing, I guess, if they have to upgrade you.

If you change your dates, I was told you won't get price protection.

AoA suite does sound like a great upgrade, but with the Big Blue Pool being closed for refurbishment, that takes away one advantage of Finding Nemo section - and AoA overall. My kids would not be happy trading Fantasia pool for Flipping Fins or Cozy Cone.

AoA suite does sound like a great upgrade, but with the Big Blue Pool being closed for refurbishment, that takes away one advantage of Finding Nemo section - and AoA overall. My kids would not be happy trading Fantasia pool for Flipping Fins or Cozy Cone.
I can understand that, especially if they’re familiar with the pools there. Maybe that’s part of the reason it was offered to us, no kids with us on this trip 👍

OP here. I have decided to cancel this trip. Not just becuase of the resort change but that does play a part as I think AoA and POP are the busiest of the values even when all the AllStars are open. With out the AStars I think that AoA/Pop will be packed. Not blaming Disney just the nature of those resorts. There were also other factors outside of the resort change it was just part of the whole.

Have fun to those who are going and stay safe.

Thanks

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter