Ashley Madison, a questionable add choice.

lotsohugginbear

Mouseketeer
Okay, going to get my hand slapped for this. I think this add is inappropriate for the Disboards. My daughter started reading the boards when she was 10, and I'm sure there are many kids who read here. I'm not naive or a prude, but I think Ashley Madison is not exactly embracing family values. There are a lot of women posting on the boards. Where's the advertisement for them to have affairs?

The advertising isn't selected by the Disboards. They subscribe to an advertising service that selects different advertisements for each user based on what the service knows about the user, generally through the cookies that were set when the user visited other websites. So for example, I see Wayfair advertisements on a lot of websites I visit, because I visited Wayfair a week ago and was looking at curtains.

You can click the top right of the ad and change it, too. My current ads are from my browsing history with the exception of the banner at the top.

The advertising isn't selected by the Disboards. They subscribe to an advertising service that selects different advertisements for each user based on what the service knows about the user, generally through the cookies that were set when the user visited other websites. So for example, I see Wayfair advertisements on a lot of websites I visit, because I visited Wayfair a week ago and was looking at curtains.
I think this is a joke post. If not, I’m sorry.
It is not a joke post, I have never clicked on Ashley Madison or any dating site for that matter, and no one else has used this computer so it is not cookies - unless me watching Netflix, shopping at Old Navy and Shop Disney, reading the Dis or doing Swagbucks is a trigger. Right now I see an ad with girl in a bikini on the left side of my screen. It says "Find someone Hotter this Spring" the italics and underlining is not added by me but it's on the ad itself. First time I saw it I reported the ad as inappropriate but it still shows up.

Last edited:
It is not a joke post, I have never clicked on Ashley Madison or any dating site for that matter, and no one else has used this computer so it is not cookies - unless me watching Netflix, shopping at Old Navy and Shop Disney, reading the Dis or doing Swagbucks is a trigger. Right now I see an ad with girl in a bikini on the left side of my screen. It says "Find someone Hotter this Spring" the italics and underlining is not added by me but it's on the ad itself. First time I saw it I reported the ad as inappropriate but it still shows up.
It could be someone else on the same internet network as you. For example, I've been looking for new running shoes/clothes and my husband will see ads for running stuff when he goes online.

It could be someone else on the same internet network as you. For example, I've been looking for new running shoes/clothes and my husband will see ads for running stuff when he goes online.
Hmm, interesting. I only use this laptop at work (but it is mine and no one else uses it) and there are a couple of lonely guys who work here :ssst:

Last edited:

The original post was by “lotsohugginbear” but “tzeital” replied as if responding as the original poster.

Not sure if “tzeital” could relate so closely that they just carried the conversation forward, but there is a real chance this is the same poster with two accounts. If that’s the case, we definitely have evidence of some duality and possible browsing they don’t want to admit to.

Apologies if I am wrong. I make no judgements.

Last edited:
I'm not naive or a prude... ...There are a lot of women posting on the boards. Where's the advertisement for them to have affairs?

Ashley Madison is for women too. The nature of the site makes it a sausage-fest to be sure (the ratio of men to women) but it’s not a gay site (only men).

I’m not opening an ethical debate here. Just a statement of fact. I know a few married women who use the site and enjoy the ratio by getting a few boyfriends.

The original post was by “losohugginbear” but “tzeital” replied as if responding as the original poster.

Not sure if “tzeital” could relate so closely that they just carried the conversation forward, but there is a real chance this is the same poster with two accounts. If that’s the case, we definitely have evidence of some duality and possible browsing they don’t want to admit to.

Apologies if I am wrong. I make no judgements.
Just the one account and it is tzeitel, member since 2008. No need for a second account, still see the ads. Not sure why I would make something like this up. Why would I post that the ads bother me if I HAD searched the site? Seriously makes no sense.

And it is ok to respond to posts even if not the OP.

Heh, I had the Ashley Madison ad on here and other forums I frequent as well. I don't know what that says about me! But like mentioned above, not everyone gets the same ads. I don't know why Ashley Madison shows up for me (I have never ever gone to that site or clicked on anything remotely like it), but now its replaced by fly fishing retailer ads. I don't know if my wife and our bank account would prefer the Ashley Madison ads! :teeth:

Just the one account and it is tzeitel, member since 2008. No need for a second account, still see the ads. Not sure why I would make something like this up. Why would I post that the ads bother me if I HAD searched the site? Seriously makes no sense.

And it is ok to respond to posts even if not the OP.

It’s fairly common that people don’t realize advertisements are based on their browsing history. There are of course glitches, errors and anomalies.

However, there have been many amusing moments when people go on a tirade to admins about inappropriate advertising when it turns out they (or sadly/amusingly, someone else in their home/office) is leading a double life. Consider an unfaithful spouse or a closeted gay person.

Also common/amusing, some people do have alternate accounts so they can “like” or support their previous comment while making it look like another person agrees with them.

Again, not accusing anyone or making judgements. I’ve just seen examples and it’s always a good time. :P

It’s fairly common that people don’t realize advertisements are based on their browsing history. There are of course glitches, errors and anomalies.

However, there have been many amusing moments when people go on a tirade to admins about inappropriate advertising when it turns out they (or sadly/amusingly, someone else in their home/office) is leading a double life. Consider an unfaithful spouse or a closeted gay person.

Also common/amusing, some people do have alternate accounts so they can “like” or support their previous comment while making it look like another person agrees with them.

Again, not accusing anyone or making judgements. I’ve just seen examples and it’s always a good time. :P

I'm the director of digital marketing for a local agency. I set up the ads and the remarketing campaigns that make these lovely ads we all enjoy possible haha. The way they work is that they show on sites partnered with Google (or in some cases a 3rd party remarketing platform) based on the devices browsing history. Typically either remarketing you because you went to their site and did not convert or its conquest because you have on a similar site and they think you have a chance at converting. The OP or someone using the OPs computer has been to the site or a similar site.

This is a weird thread. There is nothing wrong with responding to someone else's post. However, you are responding as if you are THE original poster.

OP here. I online shop, look up special ed mods and make travel plans on the internet. I certainly have seen adds on the Dis which relate to my shopping habits. I don't think all the ads directly relate back to an individual as I have seen many adds I am not interested in. Maybe I should confront my husband about an affair? 😠 Kidding, but there must be a way for the Dis to monitor and\or allow for different advertisement contents. Otherwise there could be some very questionable ad content.

The Dis has no control over what specific ads show. They are display ads from being a partner with Google (or another 3rd party). Any advertiser that is posting ads has a chance to show up based on targeting. Ashley Madison should have better parameters in place to not be wasting impressions on a site like this

Ashley Madison is for women too. The nature of the site makes it a sausage-fest to be sure (the ratio of men to women) but it’s not a gay site (only men).

I’m not opening an ethical debate here. Just a statement of fact. I know a few married women who use the site and enjoy the ratio by getting a few boyfriends.

Hey! I had no idea that Ashley Madison was for women as well. Of course, I learned from this thread that I would probably just run into my husband on there. Maybe like a modern day "Pina Colada Song" type of thing. (JK)

Thanks to posters who gave me some insight into how the ads work!

The Dis has no control over what specific ads show. They are display ads from being a partner with Google (or another 3rd party). Any advertiser that is posting ads has a chance to show up based on targeting. Ashley Madison should have better parameters in place to not be wasting impressions on a site like this

I have to believe they have the option to filter out NSFW advertisements. I’d even hope they can filter out content based on ethics. For example, filtering out alcohol or tobacco ads from a site targeting youths.

I have experienced the opposite problem. I’ve stumbled upon an adult site or two in my day... and I’ve seen ads for like Sears or something equally generic. I can’t imagine those business want to be associated with adult content and they must be able to select.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter