Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

You need to take Italy with a grain of salt, most people forget that it is common in Italy and other European countries to keep your extended family living with you. Unlike here where we tend to house our elders outside the core family unit. Also the population density of italy is 532 per mile compared to our 94 per mile. Also the average age in the us for our population is 38.2 years italys is 47.9. Thats almost a decade older. We can all spout random numbers that the TV is telling us and conjecture but honestly at this point in time I dont see anything to cause mass hysteria about.

Here in GA it is the sign of the end times. A waffle house shuts down for COVID-19. Only serious things shut down waffle house.

Seriously, they just announced they did find an infected person at waffle house and are shutting it down for cleaning. Not sure how much that is going to help though

The thing with the corona outbreak and the disaster in Italy is 2-fold. You have BOTH the corona deaths AND the increased deaths from an inability to access healthcare for non-corona issues. A collapse of the health care system (which is happening there in Lombardy) becomes a worst-case scenario, and explains why doctors there say they no longer try for those with a great many issues who are above 60+. They have to marshal resources for whom they can save.

The thing with the corona outbreak and the disaster in Italy is 2-fold. You have BOTH the corona deaths AND the increased deaths from an inability to access healthcare for non-corona issues. A collapse of the health care system (which is happening there in Lombardy) becomes a worst-case scenario, and explains why doctors there say they no longer try for those with a great many issues who are above 60+. They have to marshal resources for whom they can save.

Which is why so many thigs being cancelled in the US s a good percaution. We don't want to spread furthur then it already has if possible to avoid those exact kind of things.

I've been reading stuff on Italy and it really is bad there right now. Those reports are what definitely convinced me this is not "just the flu".

You need to take Italy with a grain of salt, most people forget that it is common in Italy and other European countries to keep your extended family living with you. Unlike here where we tend to house our elders outside the core family unit. Also the population density of italy is 532 per mile compared to our 94 per mile. Also the average age in the us for our population is 38.2 years italys is 47.9. Thats almost a decade older. We can all spout random numbers that the TV is telling us and conjecture but honestly at this point in time I dont see anything to cause mass hysteria about.

Neither do I. But I do kind of shrug when people find all kinds of ways to dismiss this problem. First it was only China. Then it was just Asia. Then we'll see how Western nations handle it. Then it was there are no cases in the U.S. Then it was no deaths in the U.S. Next it was just in Washington. Now it's only a few cases scattered throughout the other states. Now e are at it's only old or sick people that die and it's only a 1% mortality rate...

The justifications and excuses keep coming, but so does the virus. So do the infections and deaths. At some point it's time to take it seriously. To realize that the best time to beat the problem is before it gets bad. And that preventative measures need to be stronger than washing hands. Of course, we are an individualist society so we aren't good at collectivist thinking. We tend to ignore the common good in favor of our own efforts and desires. So I suspect we will keep making excuses, and mistakes, until it is too late to have done something substantive. Then it will be all down percentages and a very overworked medical system.

Neither do I. But I do kind of shrug when people find all kinds of ways to dismiss this problem. First it was only China. Then it was just Asia. Then we'll see how Western nations handle it. Then it was there are no cases in the U.S. Then it was no deaths in the U.S. Next it was just in Washington. Now it's only a few cases scattered throughout the other states. Now e are at it's only old or sick people that die and it's only a 1% mortality rate...

The justifications and excuses keep coming, but so does the virus. So do the infections and deaths. At some point it's time to take it seriously. To realize that the best time to beat the problem is before it gets bad. And that preventative measures need to be stronger than washing hands. Of course, we are an individualist society so we aren't good at collectivist thinking. We tend to ignore the common good in favor of our own efforts and desires. So I suspect we will keep making excuses, and mistakes, until it is too late to have done something substantive. Then it will be all down percentages and a very overworked medical system.

Totally agree. We don't need to live in fear but if we can contain this thing to only a few cases in the US that is a huge win but that is going to involve taking some actions like canccelling conference and large events like we are seeing. We really need to control the spread of this thing so it does remain not an issue for most people but that may mean making some sacrifces of not going to events we'd like to go to and like I said above that likely means a lot of entertaainment options may need to be without audiences. Even if you are not in a risk group of dying by going to large events you could help spread it to somebody who is. I saw a tweet from italy earlier blaming people not making changes to be what helped get them to where they are. Even people not in the 60+ risk of dying could still get sick enough to need a hospital bed and so forth.

Shouldn't live in fear but this is still something to take seriously to help prevent it from being a big deal in the US.

All of this. What’s troubling me most these past few days, is that North America could very well get to where Italy is right now. We see what’s happening, yet no one seems willing to ACT. The system will become overwhelmed if we don’t take steps to slow the spread.

If I could "like" this post times a million I would! I've been telling my spouse this for weeks...I think this virus will definitely show the cracks of our elitist thinking in the US.

All of this. What’s troubling me most these past few days, is that North America could very well get to where Italy is right now. We see what’s happening, yet no one seems willing to ACT. The system will become overwhelmed if we don’t take steps to slow the spread.

Yep. Too many people still going with "it's just the flu" and even worse the people who think "I'm not at-risk so has zero effect on me" who could still spread the thing.

Well, I boarded March 2 and there were no temperature screenings. Just verbal questions. They are probably doing them now.
I got an email from them saying they were going to start, maybe this weekend was the first weekend.

Yep. Too many people still going with "it's just the flu" and even worse the people who think "I'm not at-risk so has zero effect on me" who could still spread the thing.

And don't get me started on the conspiracy theorists, as well as the, "It's only old people that die".

The one thing that has me questioning some of the statistics is the fact that the symptoms seem to have varying degrees of severity, probably depending on age. How many people out there either currently have it or have had it but never went to the doctor because they weren't feeling sick enough to do so. If the people with the most severe cases are the ones more likely to get tested then I would think that would skew some statistics. I don't think this is something that should be downplayed but I'm very curious about how many people who have had the virus with more minimal symptoms, haven't gotten tested and therefore are changing how the statistics look.

This could change, and quickly. Westchester county happens to be the center of an outbreak, just like the eastern Seattle suburbs were. It's just luck (bad luck in this case). If the virus gets a toehold in NYC, things will change there almost overnight.

It's good that people are being responsible, but there is only so much you can do in a crowded city, which is why China resorted to the tactics it did. Of course, they let it get out of hand far too long. It'll be interesting to see if people who've been educated about it thanks to a free press and a good governor can make enough of a difference so that those things aren't needed in NYC. I hope so.

The governor of NY is not playing around and I for one think its fantastic and a great show of thoughtful leadership. FWIW I don't live in NY- I am in a state who has only tested a total of 40 people. 7 positive. FORTY. I was in the ER with my 16 year old son yesterday and he was diagnosed with "flu like virus". The only thing they tested for was strep, and they made is very clear that they do NOT test for flu and dont' even have the ability to test for corona. So if you have had contact, oh well? This is in a large metro area at one of the largest hospital systems in the state. So yeah I think NY is doing it right- far better than pretending everything is A-OK and hiding your head in the sand!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter