Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

Money makes the world go 'round. Not everyone is an office worker that can just work from home while the rest of the world sits at home for weeks. Small businesses just can't "shut down" for weeks .. most of them survive week to week.

I feel it is an overreaction on a lot of parts. Cancelling school or events pre-emptively. It feels more like a PR move to show you are "taking action" during this panic time.

Besides Draconian travel restrictions (which wouldn't fly in this country), this will still spread just like the cold or flu does, I don't think a few events cancelling and some places closing is going to stop this. People are still going to travel for Spring Break (my sister-in-law's family is heading to Disney this weekend).
I suspect that going to online instruction in our universities is because if there would be a campus outbreak, they are not equipped to deal with a quarantine of all those students. better to have them at home where they aren't responsible for them.

I am going to play devils advocate on this one.

I really wonder if the CDC government isnt really trying to stop the virus but more of a controlled contained spread. It would make sense if that was the case it would also make since if they werent telling us that because for one its a election year two most people are sheeple three it would not just crash the stock markets but cause a global free fall. A slow controlled release allows for these type of mitigation and "protects" society from itself. If a virus is contagious enough and humans are social in nature you would have to completely isolate the epicenter of a outbreak in such a short time and track down all social interactions patient zero had within such a short time that it would all be down to luck to really stop the spread of a disease or virus. I know the CDC is aware of that as well as the WHO. Stopping the spread of a easily transmittable Virus in such a global market that we have now is more down to luck then down to government intervention. Maybe the science shows that we are past the point of containment and have been since earlier this year, now its less about stamping out the virus but more of a controlled spread. It can be scary no doubt and this will change society in some ways, hopefully for the better but who knows. In either case If we are all going to be exposed to it at some point, then I guess I can understand the lack of transparency of the powers that be.
I have read from several sources that this is exactly what they hoped to do. Flatted the curve. Have people get it at a slower pace so the medical resources can keep up.

Money makes the world go 'round. Not everyone is an office worker that can just work from home while the rest of the world sits at home for weeks. Small businesses just can't "shut down" for weeks .. most of them survive week to week.

I feel it is an overreaction on a lot of parts. Cancelling school or events pre-emptively. It feels more like a PR move to show you are "taking action" during this panic time.

Besides Draconian travel restrictions (which wouldn't fly in this country), this will still spread just like the cold or flu does, I don't think a few events cancelling and some places closing is going to stop this. People are still going to travel for Spring Break (my sister-in-law's family is heading to Disney this weekend).
My husband's brother and his family are heading for Disney this weekend, too. I hope they have a wonderful trip. :cutie:

How are we any different than Italy? We could be in their exact situation if no steps to slow spread are taken. There are a case study of what not to do in the early days of this disease.

How are we any different than Italy? We could be in their exact situation if no steps to slow spread are taken. There are a case study of what not to do in the early days of this disease.

We are different than Italy purely in population density. Keeping Distance limits the effective range of transmission we also have a larger population but it is more spread out. In saying that places like NYC or other very large dense population areas, would be closer to Italy then a majority of the US. Not saying it couldnt happen here that way Im just pointing out there are some key things that makes the US a bit easier to slow the spread.

As for this whole closing of Disney World, I dont think it will happen unless the government steps in and somehow finds a way to protect the lively hood of the Disney Cast members and the Florida Economy. Florida relys heavily on tourism way more than any other state for its income. If they closed WDW for any substantial time, Floridas economy would instantly drop way below whatever happens to the US economy as a whole. It would be a disaster economically for that state and its businesses. As to not cause that type of Panic i am sure there is governmental conversations with Disney on contingency plans and messaging and all of that. If WDW closes it wont be as a precaution but because of a necessity. As for the law suits and what not, Disney has a very robust legal department and lots of insurance, that isnt as much of a fear as you might think.

We are different than Italy purely in population density. Keeping Distance limits the effective range of transmission we also have a larger population but it is more spread out. In saying that places like NYC or other very large dense population areas, would be closer to Italy then a majority of the US. Not saying it couldnt happen here that way Im just pointing out there are some key things that makes the US a bit easier to slow the spread.

As for this whole closing of Disney World, I dont think it will happen unless the government steps in and somehow finds a way to protect the lively hood of the Disney Cast members and the Florida Economy. Florida relys heavily on tourism way more than any other state for its income. If they closed WDW for any substantial time, Floridas economy would instantly drop way below whatever happens to the US economy as a whole. It would be a disaster economically for that state and its businesses. As to not cause that type of Panic i am sure there is governmental conversations with Disney on contingency plans and messaging and all of that. If WDW closes it wont be as a precaution but because of a necessity. As for the law suits and what not, Disney has a very robust legal department and lots of insurance, that isnt as much of a fear as you might think.

Converse point - keeping Disney open in a state chock FULL of retirees will destroy the Florida healthcare system as it suffers an outbreak akin to Lombardy...so economy over health - one has to win, and usually that one tends to be what keeps folks alive...

We will see what happens but more and more stuff being cancelled. First NBA team (warriors) playing without fans and I'm expecting NCAA to follow suit.

NHL team in the same area (San Jose Sharks) doing the same.

Converse point - keeping Disney open in a state chock FULL of retirees will destroy the Florida healthcare system as it suffers an outbreak akin to Lombardy...so economy over health - one has to win, and usually that one tends to be what keeps folks alive...
The economy will tank worse if the healthcare system collapses and Americans lose complete faith that this country is capable of putting stupid stuff aside like worrying about what name people are calling a virus, how the virus makes politicians look, and personal inconvenience long enough to actually fix something.

Right now there are way too many people worried about stupid shiit, instead of dealing with a real issue. That goes across the political spectrum. It feels like 90% of this country needs to grow up quick. Life isn't fair, sometimes you can't get everything you want and sometimes you have to make hard choices which you have to choose one undesirable result to avoid a far greater undesirable result.

Along with 1/2 round games in cleveland.

I think the NCAA is going to say all of MM will be without fans. Will be so bizzare to watch though.
Well Big Ten announced they are going on as normal as of right now so we shall see.

Well Big Ten announced they are going on as normal as of right now so we shall see.

It is too late to do anything for conference tournaments since people are already there and once you already have everybody travelling to the venue location I'm not sure you gain a lot at that point from cancelling it. but for the main march madness tournament starting next weekend... you can make that announcement in the next few days since fans really can't even make travel arrangements until sunday night when they find out where their team is going.

Along with 1/2 round games in cleveland.

I think the NCAA is going to say all of MM will be without fans. Will be so bizzare to watch though.
Governor dewine is pushing for no spectators at athletic events. That’s why

Governor dewine is pushing for no spectators at athletic events. That’s why

I don't think pushing is the right word. He's issuing an executive order that there are no spectators and under a state of emergency he has that power. So he isn;'t pushing so much as ordering that happen.

Just odd to me, why not cancel altogether? There will still be a LOT of people at these major sporting events without spectators.

2 teams of 12, 3-5 coaches per team, 4 refs...and then the camera, broadcast, stadium, and security crew (all at barebones levels)...with everyone, other than the teams, spread WAAAY the heck out...and cops probably enforcing the closure outside...probably 100-150 total people tops...

Broadcast coverage keeping panic levels down...probably decided the trade-offs were still worth it...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter