Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

Last numbers I saw said 15% hospitalization rate, 5% mechanical breathing, 2.4% dead. So I really don't think your 98% mild number has any basis in published data.

And almost all of those were elderly or had other health issues. So, I'll clarify, in the young, healthy population, it's a typically mild illness.

The problem is they don't plan to start the test until end of April with results in August. I understand they want to do it right, but I really don't get why it'll be two months before they start the test.
It may not be. I think that things can move a lot faster if they need to.

There's also another one out by Inovio, so that makes two in the pipeline. Just knowing you've got competition can focus the effort. 😉

Whoever wins this race is going to make billions, and I don't care if they are greedy, money-grubbers. If it gets us our vaccines faster, so be it.

It may not be. I think that things can move a lot faster if they need to.

There's also another one out by Inovio, so that makes two in the pipeline. Just knowing you've got competition can focus the effort. 😉

Whoever wins this race is going to make billions, and I don't care if they are greedy, money-grubbers. If it gets us our vaccines faster, so be it.
I agree, the companies are hauling butt here. To my uneducated mind it appears to be the NIH dragging their feet. I actually put some money in Moderna stock a couple weeks ago, because I figure they'll hit big or we might be hosed anyways. I'm hoping they will start following an emergency approval process, so we can get something useful out there.

I agree, the companies are hauling butt here. To my uneducated mind it appears to be the NIH dragging their feet. I actually put some money in Moderna stock a couple weeks ago, because I figure they'll hit big or we might be hosed anyways. I'm hoping they will start following an emergency approval process, so we can get something useful out there.
Wow, good for you! I'm more of a safety-first investor, so I dumped some stocks about a month ago. I was going to sell them sometime this spring anyway, but moved it up. Glad I did. My best asset right now might actually be the house I need to sell, which happens to be in a small town in the northern Rockies. Silver linings....

And almost all of those were elderly or had other health issues. So, I'll clarify, in the young, healthy population, it's a typically mild illness.
We don't really know that for sure. We don't how many deaths and hospital admissions from coronavirus never receive the correct diagnosis of coronavirus. Reports from China would seem to indicate that the Chinese authorities have continued to list anyone they didn't test before death as of dying of bacterial pneumonia.

If the virus takes hold in the US and starts to rapidly spread, will Disney close the US parks like they did overseas?

If the virus takes hold in the US and starts to rapidly spread, will Disney close the US parks like they did overseas?

The park in Japan is still open as is Disneyland Paris and both have more confirmed cases of coronavirus around them than the US parks currently do. You would have to see what happens to them first. I think the rapid closure of the parks in HK and Shanghai had a lot to do with the fact that they are also owned by the government.

Last edited:
Anything is possible. If Disney were to close I would expect them to refund people who couldn't go or offer alternatives (similar to hurricane policy). For right now though there are no closure rumors for Disney or anyplace else in the US.

Anything is possible. If Disney were to close I would expect them to refund people who couldn't go or offer alternatives (similar to hurricane policy). For right now though there are no closure rumors for Disney or anyplace else in the US.

If they close, I'd expect any dated tickets this year would just become "no expiration" tickets...or have a very long date to use (since if they close, it would be bad...and if it's bad, you don't know when things would get back to normal)...

If they close, I'd expect any dated tickets this year would just become "no expiration" tickets...or have a very long date to use (since if they close, it would be bad...and if it's bad, you don't know when things would get back to normal)...
I doubt they close - if corona virus has enough of a foothold in the US that disney is considering closing than containment has already failed and there would be no real reason to close. Closing the parks is an attempt to contain the virus, but if its already super widespread I doubt they close unless the fatality rate starts jumping through the roof.

We don't really know that for sure. We don't how many deaths and hospital admissions from coronavirus never receive the correct diagnosis of coronavirus. Reports from China would seem to indicate that the Chinese authorities have continued to list anyone they didn't test before death as of dying of bacterial pneumonia.

I'm referring specifically to the tested/known cases. Not the "maybes". Which is all anyone can do at the moment.

Sure, there could be more severe cases or deaths that are actually Coronavirus in young, healthy people than we realize in China. But - the evidence doesn't support that in the cases/deaths occuring outside of China. Those cases are very important. And currently they tend to confirm the info coming out of China - the severe cases/deaths so far are primarily limited to older and/or unhealthy people. Young, healthy people have a mild case. Much like regular influenza.

No, there are not.

Let's avoid getting out over our skis here. There has been NO outbreak in the US. No new documented cases outside of the quarantined patients for several days now, maybe even a week. Our travel ban has worked remarkably well, and others who are at risk are being closely monitored and tested.

Community-wide surveillance is under way, looking for cases that aren't tied to travelers from SE Asia, Italy or Iran, while travelers from there know to contact their doctors if they're not feeling well, and their doctors know what to do.

The CDC thinks we need to be ready for an outbreak, but let's get a little perspective here. I think in the US, it's pretty much safe to travel anywhere. It's prudent to be flexible and ready to change one's plans when needed, certainly. But we're in a much different situation from HK, Shanghai, or Japan.

And honestly, it's just as likely to pop up in any major city in the US as it is at WDW.

One is too many when you are talking about a new virus that we have no way to fight, no immunity to, and in a country with that many people. This is how pandemics start. You have to do everything possible to contain it so it doesn't get out of control. In the space of a few days, we already have 3 cases in the US (maybe the one in TX hasn't been confirmed yet, thoiugh). It happens fast due to air travel. A place like a theme park is a perfect way to spread a virus to thousands of people in one day.

Also, this virus has JUST emerged, and already killed 25 with only 915 confirmed cases. That is a very high rate of death, comparable to some of the worst viral pandemics in history. It's irrelevant how many people live in China. The troubling number is how many deaths out of how many confirmed cases.

It did not just emerge. It is not new. Please go beyond mainstream media.

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010. And we have modern medicine here.

It is only a pandemic because MSM makes it that way.

It did not just emerge. It is not new. Please go beyond mainstream media.

CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010. And we have modern medicine here.

It is only a pandemic because MSM makes it that way.

Uh, what? We aren't talking about influenza.

This is a NOVEL Coronavirus. Novel as in "new." This is the first time it has been seen in humans. It is of the FAMILY of coronaviruses, but it's a new strain, genetically. One of the first things that scientists did was sequence the genome. That's how they know what it is now.

It has also not reached pandemic classification yet. The media has nothing to do with making that declaration. The World Health Organization is the one responsible for making that call.

I really think if it ever got bad enough for Disney to close the parks then you would also be looking at the cancellation of all sporting events, concerts, and basically all events where any group of people come together. With the implications that would have on US society and the US economy it would have to be doomsday/apocalyptic level of contagion and death. I'm talking Walking Dead/Stephen King's the Stand/12 Monkeys level situation. If it got that bad the last think i think anyone will be worried about is Disney being closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter