Asian Flu?

Grand2me

Mouseketeer
I just returned from Disney and stayed offsite. I have a friend who was there the same time that I was but he stayed on-site at the CBR. He got VIOLENTLY ill and had to have the on-site doctor look at him. She told him that they get 2 or 3 cases per day of this type of Asian Flu. He had to get an antibiotic shot, 2 bags of fluids, and had to drink nothing but Powerade/Gatorade for a week. I told him that I hadn't heard anything about it or else I would have told him. Anybody else know anything about this??

Haven't head anything specifc about Asian Flu at WDW. However, it seems to me that anytime you visit a popular/crowded place that attracts international as well as domestic visitors, you run the risk of getting sick. Could have happened at any resort - on site or off site. Sorry it happened to your friend.

Best wishes -

So ture, so true! The only reason why I asked is because the doctor and even the bellman made it seem like it was a common occurence. Ah well...

There have been a lot of posts lately from people mentioning how their family members became ill while in WDW. I don't know if it's always like that or if there have been more people sick than usual lately. Has anyone else noticed this?

I would imagine there are similar cases every day at WDW. With that many people, some are bound to become ill. It happened to a friend of mine who was visiting last week. Most of the time, it is a combination of too much heat, too much rich food and too little rest.

Lets not forget all that "fresh" air everyone who flies to WDW gets subjected to!

I haven't heard anything, but given the number of people in WDW, 2 or 3 cases of this type per day doesn't sound all that unusual. There's tens of thousands of people on-property on any given day.

As others have pointed out, there's a lot of people from a lot of different places. Many traveled on airplanes to get there. Some probably don't refrigerate or re-heat leftovers properly. Many ride around WDW in crowded busses and monorails (another reason to wait for crowds to dissipate). Then there's the water that noboby is supposed to swim in.

Not knowing the details, my guess is that they just refer to it as the Asian Flu for some non-scientific reason, and that they really don't know for sure in each case exactly what caused it. So, the antibiotic shot was probably just a precaution.

Hope your friend was still able to enjoy his vacation.

Grand2me said:
I just returned from Disney and stayed offsite. I have a friend who was there the same time that I was but he stayed on-site at the CBR. He got VIOLENTLY ill and had to have the on-site doctor look at him. She told him that they get 2 or 3 cases per day of this type of Asian Flu. He had to get an antibiotic shot, 2 bags of fluids, and had to drink nothing but Powerade/Gatorade for a week. I told him that I hadn't heard anything about it or else I would have told him. Anybody else know anything about this??

i hate to play long distance second-hand doctor but i can't help myself on this one...

i will be so bold as to guarantee that what he had was not "asian flu" (i.e. asian bird flu, avian influenza)...
if the doctor did indeed say that, it sounds to me like the on-site doctor is a quack (donald?)...
also, even if he was sure it was an influenza, i cannot for the life of me imagine why he gave your friend "an antibiotic shot" (except for bad CYA non-evidence based medicine)... i am certain that "shot" did wonders for his gut...
now it could have been food poisoning or a bacterial enteritis, but statistically speaking, both would be very unlikely...
from what you've described, your friend most likely had a simple gastroenteritis, with some dehydration and not an influenza (be it avian or otherwise)...
there is no asian bird influenza in the US... yet

As Florida residents and DVC members, we are at WDW several times a month. You have to realize that there are a LOT of people from a LOT of different parts of the world staying at and visiting the resort, so there is always some sort of "bug" going around. We ourselves have come down with some of the lesser {thank God} maladies on occassion. It's just something that happens when that many people gather from so many places at the same time. It has been said on these boards before; KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE HANDRAILS! and carry a hand sanitizer around with you and use it!

brunoflipper said:
i hate to play long distance second-hand doctor but i can't help myself on this one...

if the doctor did indeed say that, it sounds to me like the on-site doctor is a quack (donald?)...

I almost forgot where I was. I have to remember to keep my laughter to a minimum... :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter