• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Asked for ID for children at MCO

andymattmom

DIS Veteran
Don't know what to think of this. Yesterday we went thru security at MCO about 5:45PM with our 13 and 11 year old. I was asked for ID for both boys by the screener. Luckily I had state ID cards for them. Has anyone else had this happen?

Just a heads up to others....

The only things we needed were birth certificates for the toddlers to prove they were under two. The airlines required them. What kind of ID do most people have for their tweens?

Why would ur teen and preteen be carded??? A two year old I understand...people trying to get free tickets because their child is "so close" to 2, when they have been 4 for the last 6 months. (That happened to someone infront of me...needless to say...i laughed at them...ur child DOES NOT look 2!) But why a teen?

The screener was plain wrong and if you had nothing you would have been fine.

I fly several times a year with my dd's and have been for several years. Passengers under 18 don't need ID. A couple times the TSA agent has asked my dd's for ID, sometimes joking other times seriously. I simply state, "no they don't have ID as they are under 18" it has never been an issue.

The information is on the TSA website at tsa.gov

Again, for folks flying in the near future ID is not required for passengers under 18 so don't panic.

OP - Please don't think I doubt you but had you not had state ID's you would have still cleared security without issue.

TJ

Do they appear older? I know they are only 13 and 11, but some kids just look much older..

Don't know what to make of it.......we also just returned from WDW on Friday afternoon. However, we flew home from TPA rather than MCO this trip.....had our 7 year old grandson with us and did not have any ID for him......only copies of his medical insurance info and a signed statement from our daughter stating we had her permission to act in her behalf in the event of any emergency medical treatment......but, no one asked us for anything at TPA.

We have never been asked for id for our kids (11 & 7) I do have state id cards for them -they are a few years old & should be updated.

We flew from Rochester, NY to Orlando last August, and my teen was asked for photo ID. I commented to the screener that has was only 17, a minor, and she very rudely informed me he still had to provide photo ID of some sort, just not government issued ID. Luckily, I had his school ID card from the pervious year, and his bc, and she seemed less than thrilled that his ID was his school card. That was in Rochester. At MCO, he was asked for ID and we just gave them the school card and they were fine with it-I didn't get into the discussion again.:confused3

From the TSA website:

"Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight."

That being said, I happen to carry passports for my children when traveling within the U.S. I've always been told they don't need to see them. But since we already had them, they're fairly easy to take along. I guess I'll continue to bring them just in case we run into the screener that andymattmom referenced.

My children look their age and that is it...not older. I know they have to have something for over 18. It was a TSA screener. I just happened to have these as they have debit cards and when they use those I always have them take their ID so in case someone doubts it is their debit card. I figure if I asked or questioned we would have been fine- but I wanted people to know they might be asked. I was so tired and ready to get on the plane I didn't want to get into a discussion on the issue---just handed the card and he looked at them closely too! Airtran didn't ask for ID...neither did TSA at IND.

This is just another example of the TSA being both poorly trained and out of control. Maybe someday this national nightmare will stop.

This is just another example of the TSA being both poorly trained and out of control. Maybe someday this national nightmare will stop.

One can only hope. Give some people a little power. . .now they all think they're J Edgar Hoover!

Another quote from the TSA website:

"We have to screen everyone, regardless of age (even babies), before they can go through the security checkpoint.

We will not ask you to do anything that will separate you from your child or children.

We specially train our Security Officers and they understand your concern for your children. They will approach your children gently and treat them with respect. If your child becomes uncomfortable or upset, security officers will consult you about the best way to relieve your child's concern.

NEVER leave babies in an infant carrier while it goes through the X-ray machine."

I think the part highlighted in red is important. I can tell you that we've never had any trouble with it. Once about a year ago, my DW was leaving Orlando with DS8 and DS1. Since she was alone, TSA in Orlando did a spectacular job of assisting her. They brought her to a separate line (before they had the marked lanes now) and assisted her with folding up the stroller, loading the car seat, etc. My wife still raves about the assistance.

I guess we've just been luck and had good experiences. We also always plan in extra time in case an issue comes up.

maybe to stop parents from stealing kids, from there spouses, or maybe they were looking for a child that matched your childrens features, etc... whats the big deal?

The screener was plain wrong and if you had nothing you would have been fine.

I fly several times a year with my dd's and have been for several years. Passengers under 18 don't need ID. A couple times the TSA agent has asked my dd's for ID, sometimes joking other times seriously. I simply state, "no they don't have ID as they are under 18" it has never been an issue.

The information is on the TSA website at tsa.gov

Again, for folks flying in the near future ID is not required for passengers under 18 so don't panic.

OP - Please don't think I doubt you but had you not had state ID's you would have still cleared security without issue.

TJ
Thanks. I was hoping this hadn't changed as I'm flying again with a niece and nephew in December and they don't have picture IDs of any kind at ages 10 and 12. I take a letter from the parents authorizing me to have the kids and a copy of their insurance cards in case of any medical emergency. That's all I'd have with me if anyone asked for an ID for the kids.

maybe to stop parents from stealing kids, from there spouses, or maybe they were looking for a child that matched your childrens features, etc... whats the big deal?

The "big deal" is that most children don't have photo ID of any kind, they don't need them. For a screener to ask for something that isn't required is a big deal IMHO. The OP was lucky that she had the ID cards but most kids don't.

The TSA has no interest in parental disputes and doesn't care who is flying with whom or why, only that the name on the ticket matches the passenger.

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter