• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Asking for a friend: Strategy when MK opens at 8

Sunshine2U

Disney Nana
I know I've seen this but never paid attention because we don't visit the parks at peak times. What rope drop strategy would you recommend when MK opens at 8 am? In this case they will be there Easter Sunday, staying at ASSp, traveling with 5 yo.

It is quite likely that there will also be AM EMH starting at 7AM on many of the days at that peak time.
That can be problematic for guests arriving an hour later.
Regardless, arrive early, and plan on long lines.
Use FP as much as possible.
And, don’t expect to be able to move quickly around the park.

It is quite likely that there will also be AM EMH starting at 7AM on many of the days at that peak time.
Wouldn't they announce EMH by now for April 1? If rope drop is at 8 (and no EHM) will the gates open at 7?​

I've had them change park hours the day of. I would expect them to change to an EMH of 7 am.

As pp said, keep an eye on the EMH up to the day before and plan to be there early. Book fastpasses for the rides your friends want to enjoy while in the park. If they arrive at rope drop then they will have the choice to enjoy the morning show in front of the castle or start heading to the area they want to visit first in the park. Many Disney touring websites recommend to tour the park from left to right. That means they would start on Adventureland and walk their way clockwise around the park.

hope this helps.

I will echo other posters, you're likely to see a 7AM EMH added that Easter Sunday. It's not currently on the calendar, but I suspect it could be added. Last year, the two week period around Easter saw many MK AM EMHs. Right now the 2018 calendar shows a somewhat typical MK Friday AM and Wednesday PM EMH pattern around Easter, but keep an eye on that as it could change.

As to your other question, for 8AM regular park openings, they open the park at 8AM - not 7AM. The "Main Street open an hour before park opening" thing only applies to 9AM regular MK openings. For 8AM or 7AM regular park openings, the park opens at that time or a few minutes (0-15ish) before.

I'm really hoping for a 7 a.m. extra magic hour on the Tuesday after Easter. I check every day. Fingers crossed!

Our MK rope drop strategy is usually Peter Pan first, then either (A) on to Tomorrowland for Space Mountain and Buzz, OR (b) to Frontierland for Big Thunder and Splash.

Of course, if it's EMH, then it's gotta be A, because Frontierland won't be open yet.

RD strategy is the same for an 8:00 am open as a 9:00 open, but you'll get more done more quickly and can usually get a few more things in during that extra hour. I make my FP for the same time either way. The park doesn't seem to get crowded much earlier because of the early open. It'll be crowded, because it's Easter, of course.

Now, like others have said, pay close attention to an EMH add, and if they do, plan for the earlier open and sticking to Fantasyland and Tomorrowland during EMH, since the rest won't be open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter