• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Asking Opinion from Previous Disney Alaskan Cruisers

bigturkey12

Mouseketeer
I am trying to get an idea if the 5 day cruise would be a compromise on a lot of things that happen on a 7 day cruise.

I hope the following things would still happen:
Tracey Arm or Endicott excursion
BQ on Tracey Arm Day
Naturalist talks on board
3 Broadway Style shows
Character greetings in their Alaskan outfits

The one thing i feel we will loose is the character breakfast. We actually have 3 sea days but i believe these only happen on 7 day cruises.

For all the veterans out there is there anything you experienced on an Alaskan Cruise that you think might not happen because this is a 5 day.

i appreciate all opinions.

I am trying to get an idea if the 5 day cruise would be a compromise on a lot of things that happen on a 7 day cruise.

I hope the following things would still happen:
Tracey Arm or Endicott excursion
BQ on Tracey Arm Day
Naturalist talks on board
3 Broadway Style shows
Character greetings in their Alaskan outfits

The one thing i feel we will loose is the character breakfast. We actually have 3 sea days but i believe these only happen on 7 day cruises.

For all the veterans out there is there anything you experienced on an Alaskan Cruise that you think might not happen because this is a 5 day.

i appreciate all opinions.
3 sea days I think you will get a CB, you will have a naturalist you will get a BBQ my thinking is they have everything in place for the seve day cruises so they will still run it that way just cut down a few things. The naturalist for example will be contracted all season, and entertainment, some guest stars will loose a main show in the WDT but just perform in a bar in the adult area.

I agree with the above. The naturalist is there because you're still possibly seeing wildlife even on sea days. You still have Tracy Arm and that's when they do the BBQ & the excursion. They do shows on 3 day cruises, so you'll definitely get a couple of those. The characters are on their Alaskan outfits multiple days, so I'm sure you'll see them in them at least once. The 7 day gas the same amount of sea days, so the character breakfast might happen still. One was offered on Ketchikan day on our cruise, but was limited and sold out quick, so you never know.

I think your list is a pretty good guess. The two ports of Skagway and Juneau are dropped in the 5-night cruise. Since those are port days, there isn't much happening on the ship, except in the evenings.

We are on the 5 night Alaskan cruise and I had the same concerns as you - what are we going to miss (besides obviously Juneau and Skagway!) Our port stop in Ketchikan is quite long, we are there from 9am to 7:45pm, so I don't know if a character breakfast will be offered that day. Hopefully on the other sea days though. Other than that I think we'll be offered everything else the other Alaskan cruises are offered.

I think that you'll get all the things you mentioned in your first post but having done the 7 day this year I think the 5 day sounds really short. I guess it depends on perspective, if I had been to Alaska before/lived on the West Coast/wasn't interested in the ports I'd maybe consider it BUT given the fact that Alaska is way more $$ than the Carribbean I'd want to be able to see as much as I could see to get the most bang for my buck. Had there been a 9 day itinierary offered this year we probably would have done that so maybe I just like the longer cruises.

I think it depends on what you are looking for in this cruise. Are you mainly wanting a Disney cruise that just so happens to go to Alasaka? Then, yes, I'm sure DCL will do everything in their power to offer as much on ship fun as possible on the 5 day cruise. However if your main objective is to see Alaska, then you are missing out on 2 of 3 amazing ports.

I don't know where you live, but I would also consider how much $$$ and time it was taking you to get to Vancouver. The reason I mention that is we live in the eastern part of the US, and wouldn't be likely to fly all the way to Vancouver just for a 5 day cruise - more bang for the buck, as they say.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I know we will be missing two ports on the 5 day. However my son can only take off so many days from his summer job. With the 5 day there is only one port so less excursion money and spending money needed, except for Tracy Arm of course. Also with fewer days less for tips. I can get an Alaskan experience and see the glaciers which is my son's big wish with a lower overall expense. I could go another cruise line but I love Disney and I know the money I spend I will get awesome quality and service. So I would rather go with the best for fewer days. I am so happy to see that everyone thinks we will get a large portion of what is offered on the 7 day voyage. Really appreciate all of you who have taken the time to reply!!!

I think you'll probably have most if not all of the on board activities. On the port days, there really wasn't anything going on at all on the ship.

Alaska is so incredible and it takes so much to get there (unless you live in the northwest) that I would never consider a 5 night cruise. 7 nights, minimum. If price is the reason, choose a cheaper line. Alaska is not to be missed! I love that I went with DCL, but it was the scenery/ports that really made that particular vacation.

For some, only the 5 day works-timing, cost, etc. We considered the 9 or 7 day, but they are just too $$ for us (6 persons). We are from the East Coast. All other cruiselines are the same cost for a 7 day as the DCL 5 day. We decided that we would rather spend a week exploring the Pacific NW DIY and do the 5 day DCL, than a 7 day on another cruiseline. We are in the boat of "DCL that happens to go to Alaska" vs. wanting to max Alaska, which we would do in future years.

For us, Alaska was probably a once in a lifetime trip due to distance and cost so we are glad we got the three ports. We enjoyed our excursions in all three ports on the 7 day cruise. The trip seemed to short as it was, 5 days would have really been too short!

For us, Alaska was probably a once in a lifetime trip due to distance and cost so we are glad we got the three ports. We enjoyed our excursions in all three ports on the 7 day cruise. The trip seemed to short as it was, 5 days would have really been too short!

We went into it thinking that too and then about Juneau day when we didn't have time to get to Mendenhall I looked at my Mom and said 'we WILL be back and will do it next time.' May not be for many many years but I've decided its too pretty to be once in a lifetime lol.

how much $$$ and time it was taking you to get to Vancouver. The reason I mention that is we live in the eastern part of the US, and wouldn't be likely to fly all the way to Vancouver just for a 5 day cruise - more bang for the buck, as they say.
And for those on the West Coast.... Vancouver is just a 30 minute drive from the USA. Those two days missed in Alaska can be made up in Canada. You can Orca whale watch instead of the Humpbacks.

I know what it's like to schedule around crazy work timing (DH was in the military and many trips were altered b/c of deployments...he is still a surgeon so time off is often a consideration in our [MY} trip planning) so I hope you enjoy your 5 day cruise...maybe in the future you'll have a longer one available but the 5 day should have everything on your list. Happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter