Asperger's GAC

disneymom2one

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
Our daughter is almost nine and our trip is in a couple of weeks. She is newly diagnosed with Asperger's as well as SID and hypotonia (low muscle tone). I know we need to get a GAC for her but the truth is I'm not sure what to ask for. Physically she simply can't stand for long periods of time due to the hypotonia and she also flaps/dances/spins when she does stand. She still has to be carried in the grocery store for example (and she weighs almost 70 pounds). The SID also means that visually she can't handle certain sights and sounds (smells are fine). And the Asperger's essentially translates to major meltodwns when she gets tired or overstimulated. We're theme park veterans but usually just take it very slow and don't do much. I'd really like to get the GAC but can any of you veterans suggest what I might ask for? I feel like I may just sort of stammer when I get in there. She also pretty much "looks" normal to some degree. Suggestions? I also should note that I don't know if at almost nine she'll do the stroller. We'll try but she's more and more conscious of not being a "baby". We hear "I not baby" a lot lately.

If you just explain/say what you have written here, you will do fine. GACS are individualized to the needs of the person and you have done a good job of describing your needs here. That will help them to know what sorts of assistance you need.
She may find that a stroller at WDW is OK. She will see lots of other kids (some even bigger than her) using them. The strollers do help in line with kids with autims spectrum disorders because they cut down on stimulation and provide a "safe haven". Also, the strollers at MK and Epcot are a plastic (like Litle Tikes toys are made of). Many kids who like pressure, like the feel of those strollers.

The strollers at MK, Epcot and AK are all the same, but the ones at MGM look like a jogging stroller.

Our two boys are 6, tall for their age, and LOVE the strollers. Both boys are ASD and the GAC works great :)

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter