• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance from CMs....Am I a crazy person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have paid whatever it cost to get more clothes and then probably gone back to the room. That's really got nothing to do with how you were treated though.

Op- I'm sorry the cms behaved this way. It wasn't right and they should have helped you to a family bathroom or first aid or the like. In my opinion they should have tried to get you a cab voucher back to your resort.

We have been given one before when the me driver allowed extra people on at a previous resort and there wasn't space for us when the bus arrived. Then another didn't come and the cms at the gf filled out a voucher and gave it to the cab driver they called. Now perhaps the park cms aren't aware of this option (I kind of doubt it though) but at beach club?

I'll have to be sure to let my DIL know how lucky she was.

Personally, I would have stripped down in the bathroom and washed my clothes out, even if I had to walk around with them wet. There is no way I would get on a bus with vomit or poop on me. You know, we all have to have a little dignity. Compassion and understanding (even if offering no physical help) goes a long way. As Jennasis said, you were overwhelmed. In those situations, it's easy to not make the best choices we would otherwise make when calmly sitting down at a keyboard.

ETA: Maybe if I have another cup of coffee, I'll feel differently..
;)

here's my .02.... OP I think you expected too much.

Here's my response to this sentiment. When Disney markets itself as having "superior service" and even go so far to list it as a reason to stay at their hotels and visit their parks, there's an expectation that they'll go above and beyond to ensure a positive guest experience. When they put that out there and fail to meet it, it's on them.

Here's my response to this sentiment. When Disney markets itself as having "superior service" and even go so far to list it as a reason to stay at their hotels and visit their parks, there's an expectation that they'll go above and beyond to ensure a positive guest experience. When they put that out there and fail to meet it, it's on them.

I wouldn't expect anyplace to offer to help me with my vomit covered child. It is a health risk, and one that shouldn't be expected of anyone not trained in bio-hazzards.

I wouldn't expect anyplace to offer to help me with my vomit covered child. It is a health risk, and one that shouldn't be expected of anyone not trained in bio-hazzards.

I fail to see how directing someone to a location where they could get cleaned up or new clothes is a bio-hazzard. No one is suggesting the CM should have started cleaning the vomit off of the OP but at least a friendly "I'm so sorry. Try speaking to the folks over at First Aid; they probably could help you out. Hopefully, your child feels better!" could have worked wonders in this situation. Again, they market "signature service for families" and this simply falls short of that.

I'll have to be sure to let my DIL know how lucky she was.

Personally, I would have stripped down in the bathroom and washed my clothes out, even if I had to walk around with them wet. There is no way I would get on a bus with vomit or poop on me. You know, we all have to have a little dignity. Compassion and understanding (even if offering no physical help) goes a long way. As Jennasis said, you were overwhelmed. In those situations, it's easy to not make the best choices we would otherwise make when calmly sitting down at a keyboard.

ETA: Maybe if I have another cup of coffee, I'll feel differently..
;)

I can see being overwhelmed and acting out-of-the-ordinary for maybe the first hour, but six? That is more than plenty of time to calm down gather your senses.

And I really have to scratch my head at the disregard for the child's well-being? It seems as if all emphasis was placed on finding a change of clothes rather than making sure he was all right. I can't help but wonder if things would have have been handled differently if this had occurred during the height of the Ebola scare last year. As PPs have mentioned before, vomit (and at the amount the OP described) is a hazard and should be treated as such.

But what should have the Cast Members done? I read a "scowl" was on the face of a Cast Member but no one here saw that "scowl". What is a "scowl"? The OP was upset about having dirty clothes and that's understandable but, since this thread has a lot going on about it right now, puke washes off. From clothes, from hair, from skin. Unless this was a communicable disease, it's just puke. All the puke was in one family. I would have (I have one child and two grandkids so know what puke is) just gone into the nearest bathroom, washed down and then if *I* felt uncomfortable, left the park and got changed or bought clothes and got changed in the park.

Why look at Disney to fix everything?

We buy extra clothes at the parks when we are cold but not when we are puked on?

Now if another party puked on me, that's another thread.

It's an unfortunate situation and I definitely feel for you, but I don't know what you wanted the CMs to do. They aren't responsible for replacing your clothing or cleaning you up. It's a bad situation, but I'm confused on what you wanted them to do (besides be friendlier, which I understand). :confused3

Even more of a reason for the cm to get appropriate assistance for the op. Ensure the vomit is cleaned up and not walking around the park the rest of the day. This protects all guests. Someone could have guided them to a first aid, let them clean up, made sure the area they used was cleaned and issued A voucher for shorts or pants and/or a cab.

Instead they ignored the problem, failed to assist op and allowed someone to walk around the park covered in vomit.

Even more of a reason for the cm to get appropriate assistance for the op. Ensure the vomit is cleaned up and not walking around the park the rest of the day. This protects all guests. Someone could have guided them to a first aid, let them clean up, made sure the area they used was cleaned and issued A voucher for shorts or pants and/or a cab.

Instead they ignored the problem, failed to assist op and allowed someone to walk around the park covered in vomit.

The OP themselves walked to a bathroom, and then right out again without cleaning up. Any other issues of walking around vomit covered is their own choosing.

I fail to see how directing someone to a location where they could get cleaned up or new clothes is a bio-hazzard. No one is suggesting the CM should have started cleaning the vomit off of the OP but at least a friendly "I'm so sorry. Try speaking to the folks over at First Aid; they probably could help you out. Hopefully, your child feels better!" could have worked wonders in this situation. Again, they market "signature service for families" and this simply falls short of that.

:thumbsup2

My sympathies!

As someone who had to deal with various bodily fluid issues from various family members over the course of our vacation- from our first day on our way to MK to our flight home- I completely understand.

It's a rare parent who doesn't have to deal with this in one way or another over the course of our raising children; I'm sorry it happened to you on your vacation.

I am sorry for your experience. Going through that situation in an amusement park, is probably the worst location for that to occur. It would have been nice for the CM to show a little sympathy and automatically direct you to the nearest place to clean up. But, I certainly would not be upset if they did not.

If that were me , and that has been me, just not at Disney, I would have had my DH attend to my son and be more concerned with offering to clean up my son's vomit, before worrying about cleaning myself up. No one else should have to do that! They might not have let you clean it up but I personally would have tried to.

As far as the price of clothing and not finding anything, It is Disney. Everything is expensive in Disney! I can't imagine not being able to find anything in your size because I am a 2x, which is not a well supplied size, but I have always managed to find something. I know they sell light weight sweatpants in s,m,lg, 1x,& 2x. I see them ever year and they are in just about every store that sells clothes. It is not their responsibility to ensure there is something in your size, your price range and your taste.

I am sorry if I am wrong; but, it just sounds like you are expecting more than you should from the situation.

I personally would have gone back to my hotel to shower and change. If your hotel was not close and you were worried about having paid for a ticket and not being able to get full use out of it maybe you could have gone to GS and asked if there was something they could do.

Wrong. The OP chose to walk around in vomit-covered clothes for six hours. Now tell me, who ignored the problem?

The OP themselves walked to a bathroom, and then right out again without cleaning up. Any other issues of walking around vomit covered is their own choosing.

Huh? How does this excuse the cms when they encounter someone covered in vomit? It's also not true. The first thing that happened was a cm telling her to move on. THEN she went to the bathroom, but that doesn't matter.

I don't know why op didn't pay for new clothes and go back to her resort. I would have, but that in no way excuses disney. They failed to identify and handle the problem appropriately. And it is disneys problem. They have a lot of guests walking around that park all day and an interest in keeping their park a healthy environment.

As a guest I would want disney to be interested in ensuring people aren't walking around like that.

Also... My kid has thrown up at a couple of resorts in the Caribbean as well as in Boston near the swan boats. I was given much much MUCH more help then op was from disney. When a kid vomits typically people move in to contain the problem and get the people involved home or to Wherever they are staying.

In early 2005, my youngest was a toddler who suddenly became very ill in World Showcase at the Liberty Inn. The CM/manager bought my son a sweatshirt(it was February and cool and rainy and DS's clothes had vomit all over them) and called for a van from the Contemporary to come pick all 6 of us up. We got a back stage "tour" on our way back to the resort. That night my son continued to get worse. The resort was amazing and kept us covered with towels, blankets, crackers and water. Sadly, my son kept getting worse and the next morning the resort footed the bill for a cab to take my son and I to the ER. My son was later transported via ambulance to a hospital with a PICU and he and I spent the rest of the trip there. But that's neither here nor there.

My point is the contrast between your recent experience and mine. The way we were treated made me a Disney fan for life. The CM's bent over backwards to help us. I was so incredibly grateful for all their help. The CM's you dealt with could hardly give you the time of day. It makes me incredibly sad to see the difference in service. It's really hard to think rationally when you're covered in vomit and worried about your child. I definitely think CM's should be knowledgeable enough and have enough training to have assessed the situation and at least sent you to the nearest Baby Care Center or to First Aid. You really should let Guest Services know about your experience. Management can't fix what they don't know is broken. (((HUGS)))

I believe the first CM should have directed you to first aid and/or baby care. As far as the clothes go, it is Disney, everything is over priced. I would have cleaned up as much as I could and either forked over the $60 for shorts or paid $20 for a cab to quickly get back to my resort to change. Sorry this happened to you OP. I am sure it was a horrible situation, and all you were looking for is a little compassion.

BTW... the attraction CM did not have to clean up the puke, he would call for a custodian. All the custodian had to do was pour this magic powder on the puke, the puke turns to a solid, and then sweep it up. I did the College Program several years ago, and it was amazing how fast and easily vomit was cleaned up.

Wrong. The OP chose to walk around in vomit-covered clothes for six hours. Now tell me, who ignored the problem?

I hear that. I don't know why op did that but it doesn't excuse disney. This happened on their property and they should have taken steps to care for the guest as well as to protect the other guests at the park. They had no idea why the child vomited.

I feel as though this thread has become an amazingly appropriate metaphor for the original story. There may actually be more vomit in here than on me that day. (Though, much like the original day, it was mostly just a lot of spew from a little person, or in this case a few people. Many of you have been gracious and understanding.)

Who knew? Oh, Internet. You so Internet.

In other news, because I posted this last night, I went to bed thinking about Epcot, and ended up dreaming of a great time in the World Showcase.

Upside! Redemption!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter