• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assistance needed - Ice from Soda Station size on Fantasy

Bonnie1222

DIS Veteran
I would like to ask a favor of anyone sailing on the Fantasy in the next few weeks.
My husband has a bad back and uses ice packs on a regular basis. Obviously having access to a freezer is not going to happen, so I am looking at purchasing a hot/cold water bottle that we could fill with ice at the soda station when he needs to ice his back. I cannot remember for the life of me if the ice at the soda stations comes out as small pieces or small cubes to know if he will be able to fill the bottles.
I would really appreciate it if someone could post a photo of the ice in their cup so I know if what I purchase will work for our cruise.
Thank you in advance to all who can help.

Does it have to be a bottle? Why not something like a ziploc bag? With a bigger size bag you will be able to cover a larger part of his back.

While on the Wonder in 2019 I met a person who had ice packs on her knee in the Theater. When I asked her about it, she said that guest services had them. No need to go to the Medical Clinic for them. That’s another option

You don’t have to go to the drink station just ask room service to bring a bucket of ice the cubes are bigger. They bring the bucket when they left our wine in our room so Im guessing they will bring you some if asked.

While on the Wonder in 2019 I met a person who had ice packs on her knee in the Theater. When I asked her about it, she said that guest services had them. No need to go to the Medical Clinic for them. That’s another option
Thank you, that is good to know. I was wondering if medical would keep them for us but that seems like a pain.
You don’t have to go to the drink station just ask room service to bring a bucket of ice the cubes are bigger. They bring the bucket when they left our wine in our room so Im guessing they will bring you some if asked.
I am afraid those cubes won't fit in the hot water bottle opening. We ordered one on Amazon and we'll take a drive to one of the Disney resorts and test it out (we are local) so we should know in plenty of time to try and find an alternative. Thanks for the idea

Does it have to be a bottle? Why not something like a ziploc bag? With a bigger size bag you will be able to cover a larger part of his back.
If it were his knee that would work but he lays on it so I don't think the ziplock would be a good option but thanks :)

FWIW, we use an old fashioned "ice pack" rather than a hot water bottle. The hot water bottle doesn't transfer heat nearly as well.

We use this: https://www.amazon.com/Elitehood-Re...ocphy=9031922&hvtargid=pla-972632398684&psc=1

It also has a wider opening!!
Thanks I will keep that in mind, but he lays on them. We have the flat rectagular gel ones you can refreeze which is what he uses every day. That is why I thought the hot water bottle would be best. We have plenty of time to experiment and see what works best. Worst case is I guess we could ask our room steward for a 2nd ice bucket and since the ones we have now are flexible, place it around the inside of the bucket and have him fill the bucket with ice in the morning so it is cold when we need it and DH can wrap it in a towel.

Thanks I will keep that in mind, but he lays on them. We have the flat rectagular gel ones you can refreeze which is what he uses every day. That is why I thought the hot water bottle would be best. We have plenty of time to experiment and see what works best. Worst case is I guess we could ask our room steward for a 2nd ice bucket and since the ones we have now are flexible, place it around the inside of the bucket and have him fill the bucket with ice in the morning so it is cold when we need it and DH can wrap it in a towel.

During hot weather, we tried to use a hot water bottles as ice packs to help cool down the beds. Honestly, they functioned better as hot water bottles than ice packs. I don't think they would work at all as an actual ice pack. Definitely experiment before you go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter