assisted living communities?

twojo21

disney bride 32106
looking towards the future, my parents plan on purchasing a home for my disabled brother (he has autism) to live in & grow once they become elderly. they would like the home to be in a assisted community for the handicapped, where they can regularly visit & volunteer, etc. does anyone know of such a community & where here in the usa? any additional information is appreciated. we have done endless searches havent come up with much.

thanks!

when we were looking for a place for my 50yo BIL (who had mental disabilities) to move into should my FIL have passed away first, we looked in the government pages of the phone book and found some social service agencies. first call went something like "i don't know who to ask this question of, but we're looking for..." generally, we got a few suggestions for people to call from each organization we called, and slowly the pieces filled in about what our local options were.
dj

I know of a group(6)of older boys whose parents bought a house together and turned it into a group home. the boys each have their own rooms and the parents hired some counselors to stay with the boys. they split everything, food,electricity, paying for the staff and they have the security of having a place to live forever. if they want out they need to sell their share....

i don't have any places, but if he has a caseworker, check with him/her to see what his funding source for services is. I know some funding sources will only pay for private care in a afamily home, not care in a place that is licensed as a residential care facility.

thank you for all the responses & suggestions so far, i'm passing it on to my parents.

suem in mn, my parents plan on purchasing him a home within a assisted living group community for the disabled or setting up an individual group home for him with others along with bringing in care workers & divying up the cost. so the home purchase or share would be funded by them, any other funding via the govt would be simply for his medical, etc.

twojo21 said:
thank you for all the responses & suggestions so far, i'm passing it on to my parents.

suem in mn, my parents plan on purchasing him a home within a assisted living group community for the disabled or setting up an individual group home for him with others along with bringing in care workers & divying up the cost. so the home purchase or share would be funded by them, any other funding via the govt would be simply for his medical, etc.
I mentioned it because the programs that pay for some people's PCA (Personal Care Attendents) services stipulate that they must be living in a family home. I don't know what the particulars of his situation or of someone living in a home in an assisted group living situation would be (it could very well be that that's one of the reasons why people are buying homes within a setting like that. But, I know how hard it can be to set up services and just wanted to mention that in case they need to check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter