• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Assorted Questions from WDW Vet for June 2016 Trip

grandfloluver

Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and
Let me first apologize if these questions have been asked before! I've been to DL twice, but the last time was in 2012, and the goals of this trip are a bit different-as well as new additions have been added since then, so here's what I have for you all:

1. Most importantly, PTN,-is there a preferred viewing place/how long to wait prior to parade? I know that due to Shanghai that there may just be one parade nightly. So, would it be smart to just stay in place for fireworks afterwards, assuming the spot is in good view for that too?
2. What about Soundsational in regards to best spots and time of arrival?
3. How in demand are meeting Tink and friend(s) in Pixie Hollow? (I was wondering if it was one of those things that you have to hit first thing or not.)
4. We are staying onsite (four day hoppers), and correct me if I'm wrong, but EMH is more advantageous at DCA than at DL.

Thanks so much in advance! It means a lot!

Last edited:
1. I don't necessarily think that there is a better spot for PTN, but I do think that fireworks are best viewed from Main Street. Fireworks are usually right after PTN so wherever you watch PTN is most likely where you'll watch fireworks from. If you can get a spot on Main Street for PTN and fireworks, that would be ideal, but usually requires about a two hour wait. Last time we were there, we watched PTN from the area by It's a Small World with only about a 45 minute wait and then the next night we wandered the shops along Main Street while PTN was going and then immediately after PTN was over we rushed out and got a spot in the middle of Main Street for fireworks.

2. Our favorite spot for Soundsational is the walkway right of the castle between the Matterhorn and Alice in Wonderland. It's shaded from the sun and you can usually get a good spot about 30-45 minutes before.

3. I do not know.

4. I think that EMH is more advantageous for DCA because it is only for onsite guests. MM at DL is for onsite guests plus those that bought a 3-day or more ticket. DCA always seems less crowded to me on early mornings.

4. Logically I would say DCA is more advantageous but in my experience they are both equally worth it. In DCA there are less people but the rides that are open are fewer & spread out across the park. Sometimes RSR isn't even running yet and then it feels like a waste of an EMH to me. Maybe I just have bad luck with DCA EMH. DL only has Tomorrowland and Fantasyland open but the advantage of that is lots of rides close to each other are open. We find it an ideal time for Space Mountain, Star Tours, Alice, and Matterhorn (single rider if you can, I usually walk on Matterhorn or wait up to 3 min via SR during EMH). So yes, there are more people at a DL EMH/MM but the ride selection is bigger. I highly recommend doing both EMH.

If you don't have to be sitting curbside for PTN, there are good spots along Main Street in the second and third rows that can be had with much shorter wait times. There are now dining packages for PTN, so that might something of interest to you.

ETA: This holds true for Soundsational, too. We've had great spots by walking up to the second or third row.

Last edited:

EMH at DCA has cars land open and soarin. Last time I went cars had a 60 minute wait but the new luigi rollickin roadsters was walk on. After parks open both swelled fast. I was also able to get RS fastpass before general public. Oh and don't forget for best viewing for world of color EMH has early access.

To every one of you-thanks for the great info! It is much appreciated! I do have one last question though- I'm not exactly a Star Wars buff and I know that Space Mtn has a star wars overlay, right? I love the original (at least compared to WDW's version), so how SW themed is it?

Thanks all!

3. How in demand are meeting Tink and friend(s) in Pixie Hollow? (I was wondering if it was one of those things that you have to hit first thing or not.)
I would personally go see Tinkerbell and her friends as early as possible, but that's mostly because the queue has very little shade and gets brutally hot in the mid-day sun.

I'm not exactly a Star Wars buff and I know that Space Mtn has a star wars overlay, right? I love the original (at least compared to WDW's version), so how SW themed is it?
It's still the same basic attraction (the track is the same), but they have a different music/soundtrack and some screen projections to simulate you're in a space battle. I think the overlay is heavy enough that you can't miss/ignore it, but I think it's fine for most people unless you really dislike Star Wars.

I would personally go see Tinkerbell and her friends as early as possible, but that's mostly because the queue has very little shade and gets brutally hot in the mid-day sun.

It's still the same basic attraction (the track is the same), but they have a different music/soundtrack and some screen projections to simulate you're in a space battle. I think the overlay is heavy enough that you can't miss/ignore it, but I think it's fine for most people unless you really dislike Star Wars.

Thanks for info on both! The lack of set times for characters at DL is a bit different to get used to.

I will have to run that by my family and see the plan. The SW Space Mountain doesn't really spark my fancy, but I think it's worth a go around at least once.

Thanks for info on both! The lack of set times for characters at DL is a bit different to get used to.
The Disneyland App lists the character meet & greet times for the current day, so at least you can use that when you're in the parks to see when a character is likely to be out and about. Pixie Hollow is one of the few fixed meet and greet locations in DLR. For the most part, I think that one, like Princess Fantasy Faire, actually does have fairly regular operating hours.

The Disneyland App lists the character meet & greet times for the current day, so at least you can use that when you're in the parks to see when a character is likely to be out and about. Pixie Hollow is one of the few fixed meet and greet locations in DLR. For the most part, I think that one, like Princess Fantasy Faire, actually does have fairly regular operating hours.

Yes that's what I was thinking. So once in the parks the app kinda activates itself?! That shouldn't be too bad and sorta similar to how wait times on the MDE app for WDW works. That helps me a lot actually.

:tinker:

You don't have to be in the parks (or even anywhere near the parks) to view the information (e.g., wait times, FP return times, character schedules, etc.) in the Disneyland App. :goodvibes

To every one of you-thanks for the great info! It is much appreciated! I do have one last question though- I'm not exactly a Star Wars buff and I know that Space Mtn has a star wars overlay, right? I love the original (at least compared to WDW's version), so how SW themed is it?

Thanks all!

For the most part it's still space mountain. The only time you really get a Star Wars sense is the first tunnel going in has you seeing lights like you are jumping into hyper drive. After that through taught the ride you will fight scenes like you are in a Star Wars space battle. You'd have to really dislike Star Wars to not like the ride. It's not overly Star Wars.

On a side note be prepared for being inundated with Star Wars merchandise. I went to WDW for first time in January and only really saw Star Wars at Hollywood studios. That is not the case in California where even the original small world shop is half Star Wars. Kind of sad if you ask me.

For the most part it's still space mountain. The only time you really get a Star Wars sense is the first tunnel going in has you seeing lights like you are jumping into hyper drive. After that through taught the ride you will fight scenes like you are in a Star Wars space battle. You'd have to really dislike Star Wars to not like the ride. It's not overly Star Wars.

On a side note be prepared for being inundated with Star Wars merchandise. I went to WDW for first time in January and only really saw Star Wars at Hollywood studios. That is not the case in California where even the original small world shop is half Star Wars. Kind of sad if you ask me.
Okay that is actually really helpful! I will give it a go!

I also agree with the Star Wars suffocation. I tolerated it until it became overwhelming, and now it's just gotten beyond old. And I thought WDW was bad..... dear dear dear

No WDW is not bad for merchandise. I would gladly go back just to see the mouse back, if it wasn't the other side of the country for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter