Asthma and the summer humidity

kniquy

DIS Veteran
My DS13 has asthma. It is pretty well controlled with his daily inhaler. He plays sports and does fine with his rescue inhaler. We are planning a trip for July 2020. I'm wondering should I be concerned with humidity and his asthma? I know humidity can even make some without asthma to feel it difficult to breath with the "thick" air.

We live in MA so in the summer we can get some hot and humid days, but I know FL is much much worse.

I am planning for only early mornings and later evenings at the parks, avoiding the intense mid day heat I am hoping he should be ok. Plus we are traveling with my in-laws who are in their 70's so we are not going to be park commando.

Anyone have asthma and have traveled during the summer months? should I be concerned?

We do have a pulmonologist appointment in a few months so I am planning on discussing with the doctor but I would love to hear from those of you with asthma and how you have fared in the summer.

My DS13 has asthma. It is pretty well controlled with his daily inhaler. He plays sports and does fine with his rescue inhaler. We are planning a trip for July 2020. I'm wondering should I be concerned with humidity and his asthma? I know humidity can even make some without asthma to feel it difficult to breath with the "thick" air.

We live in MA so in the summer we can get some hot and humid days, but I know FL is much much worse.

I am planning for only early mornings and later evenings at the parks, avoiding the intense mid day heat I am hoping he should be ok. Plus we are traveling with my in-laws who are in their 70's so we are not going to be park commando.

Anyone have asthma and have traveled during the summer months? should I be concerned?

We do have a pulmonologist appointment in a few months so I am planning on discussing with the doctor but I would love to hear from those of you with asthma and how you have fared in the summer.

I do fine in Orlando (also from MA). I have never even had to use my rescue inhaler. I just make sure I stay hydrated and don't push myself too much

I have asthma and have never had any issues at a WDW during our summer visits (and we have visited quite a bit in the summer). I’m not crazy about that type of weather, but we have some experience with it here in southeastern PA (although not quite as tropical 🏝)! Of course everyone is different, but if your son’s asthma is well-controlled, chances are he will be okay.

We went last July and my oldest grandson who is 6 has asthma. He did great and it was about 97 degrees everyday. He drank a lot of water, and I brought ice packs (the kind that you bang to activate)...There was 7 of us and we all used the ice packs everyday. I brought a couple cases with me on my flight. Everyone laughed but everyone ended up loving them. My son and husband were reluctant to use them the first couple days, but when they saw everyone ahhhing with relief from their coolness they started using them too. I thought that was hilarious.
Have Fun!

I live in MA too and I find that while the air can be soupy and thick I do ok breathing ( maintained on steroid inhaler). My breathing is actually better in Fl than here in the summer ( with the exception of being on the beach) most likely pollen related. I will carry my rescue with me but ( knock on wood haven’t really needed it). After about 3-4 days in the a/c and pools even though they don’t use chlorine, I will start getting wheezy at night so I preemptively add in atrovent BID (bc I am not lugging a nebulizer with me ) and it seems to help.

The humidity is gross but manageable. Keep to his action plan that his doctor and you both decide on, keep hydrated, have rescue with him. Took me having asthma for over 20 years to realize that actually works lol . He should be fine and have a blast!

My daughter and I both have asthma. We usually go in the summer. Just like you are planning, we go in the morning and leave by lunchtime. We used to go at night too, but now that we’re all adults, we spend our evenings eating at signature restaurants, watching fireworks from our resort (Polynesian), and take a private fireworks cruise one night.

Midday is the worst, so if you can either get in air conditioning or relax by the pool, I think he will be okay.

I have asthma and my discomfort is triggered by environmental changes, humidity being one of them. I do just fine when i'm in WDW. Going in and out of air conditioning helps break up the day so its not like it's just a straight 12 hours in heat. Does he have a maintenance inhaler? Or just a rescue one? I have both. My maintenance inhaler (symbicort) prevents me from needing my rescue inhaler. Be sure he carries his rescue inhaler with him or have it locked up in a locker nearby. All will be will.

I have 2 kids with asthma & have made many trips to Orlando.

Both kids respond better & longer to nebulizer treatments & only carry inhaler when nebulizer is not feasible.

I feel they react more to mold growth from the high humidity & not the humid air itself.
They can take an OTC 24 hour med with another 24hr Rx med. So, while in Florida, we offset these so they take a different one every 12 hours & always have something on board & activating.

Also, preventive meds, instead of only rescue meds, are key. Bronchodilators & such to keep airways open. Better to prevent an attack than treat one.

Yes and I always have my inhaler with me. Always take a few puffs of it before going out for the day and it helps immensely.

(bc I am not lugging a nebulizer with me )

We've battled with asthma for years & have an old clunky nebulizer. My oldest just got married & moved out (May 2019) & I needed to get her her own nebulizer. Our doctors office showed me you can order on amazon now & don't need an Rx. I got it about 2 months ago, it plugs into a USB, wall (w/cube), or a car cigarette lighter. It has a battery option. I put vials of meds & batteries in the box with the tubing that comes with & its literally the size of a small box of pop tarts (sorry trying to equate the size with something you'd recognize).
My son had an attack at her house & used it & loved it (super quiet too, better for overnight use). I want to field test it more before we buy another. I think it was $40-50 range.

Last edited:
We've battled with asthma for years & have an old clunky nebulizer. My oldest just got married & moved out (May 2019) & I needed to get her her own nebulizer. Our doctors office showed me you can order on amazon now & don't need an Rx. I got it about 2 months ago, it plugs into a USB, wall (w/cube), or a car cigarette lighter. It has a battery option. I put vials of meds & batteries in the box with the tubing that comes with & its literally the size of a small box of pop tarts (sorry trying to equate the size with something you'd recognize).
My son had an attack at her house & used it & loved it (super quiet too, better for overnight use). I want to field test it more before we buy another. I think it was $40-50 range.

That's actually really good to know. My machine isn't huge, but would be annoying to travel with esp since I try to pack light. Might be a good thing to use some FSA money on at the end of the year!! Thanks for the heads up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter