• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

At Aulani

scroot

Mouseketeer
DW and I are currently at Aulani and having a great time. They have some several lift chairs at various water attractions (including rainbow reef for snorkeling). Both the pool and lazy river have zero entry. Everything is ramped but you have to live and learn a bit with it (We have rolled into closeouts twice).

The sand chair at the beach is a great addition. I would suggest bringing an extra towel to sit on as when we got it the seat was pretty well covered with sand. DW is very light weight. I am not sure how it would be pushing someone heavier. . . I also wouldn't expect the person in the chair to be able to roll it on their own.

We have taken a couple of the guided tours of the grounds and both were accessible. There are some bumpy paths made of flagstone that can jostle a chair rider (sort of like AK). There are great viewing areas for seeing the fish at rainbow reef even if you don't want to snorkel.

All of the eateries are great and we have been seated at nice tables. We rolled to the shopping area across the street which was an easy push. There is a flatter way to go if you follow the signs (the main drive is a significant hill).

Our room has a roll in shower. There is a raised rubber curb to keep the water in the shower which smashes flat when you roll over it. You may use either the rain head of hand held which ever works. The only issue we have is that the curtain is hung outside of the little rubber curb so the water drips down and onto the floor. Easy to mop up but could be an unpleasant surprise.

There are three things I would change. The wheelchair seating at the Starlit Hui (the hula show) is off to one side and all the way at the back. It is hard to figure an answer for this one as folks are supposed to sit on the ground.

There is a lack of automatic doors. There is one that goes out to the lawn where the Hui is and the main door form the valet stand to the lobby but that is it. The rest of them need to be opened manually.

There are no companion bathrooms. (We have neither found one nor be pointed to one when we asked) I guess one is expected to go back to the room but that is a long haul especially form the beach (the ramp has 4 or 5 switchbacks). We just go into the closest together and that is that. There is also no first aid station. All life guards have kits and there are trained responders but no central place to go if you have to.

It really is a beautiful resort and compared to most non Disney places the access is top notch. It is very clear (in most cases) that they thought the access through.

We're thinking of visiting Aulani & wasn't sure how accessible it is. Haven't seen much information so I was glad to see your post. Do you feel that there is enough there for a handicapped person to enjoy & see? I use a walker but only on short walks on level ground. Most of the time when traveling I use a scooter. I know I won't be able to get around in sand but in pictures it looks like there are plenty of paved areas. Are the sand wheelchairs available to rent? Thanks for your help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter