At Grand Californian now but not in my reserved 2 bedroom villa

JessLCH

DIS Veteran
Made my reservation for a two bedroom villa here at the 7 month mark. Checked in around 5:45 pm and was told room was not ready. very apologetic front desk and comped up dinner at Storytellers saying the room would likely be ready by the time we were done. Got a call from manager at dinner say thing there was a problem with the Air conditioning in the unit and they would give us two connecting rooms in the hotel for tonight while the a/c is fixed. No other villas. They said they would comp our rooms tonight and refund my DVC points for the night. They also are comping breakfast and even sent up cookies (which I had to refuse due to nut allergies). they are very nice but I am not sure how confident I am that it will be fixed by tomorrow. we will be leaving for Universal at 7 am so will have to have everything ready to go to bell service by then in hopes of getting to our villa tomorrow. We are here for 8 nights after a week up north. I had plans of stocking up on groceries and doing laundry tonight. The rooms we are in in the main hotel are very noisy with the rooms overlooking the lobby. I just want my quiet 2 bedroom villa with kitchen and laundry.

I hope you will get your 'home' soon!

Sounds like they are trying to accommodate, but having to pack up after one short evening and night is definitely not ideal.

Have a fun time at Universal tomorrow.

I hope you can enjoy your day at Universal without worrying about your 2BR villa being ready. I know it will be hard to not think about it. I feel confident that your room will be ready as hotels have to deal with these sort of disasters all the time. They want you back in your room almost as much as you do.

Just in case here is some pixiedust:.

Good Luck! Glad to hear the management is bending over backwards to make up for the issue....IMHO

Well we were up bright and early and checked out of our connecting rooms at 7 am. It took several phone calls but by the time we returned late afternoon we had a ready 2 bedroom villa waiting...a great one too with a view of California Adventure. Very happy to finally be settled in with our groceries, laundry and a view of World of Color! I never had anything quite like this happen before. I still don't see my DVC points refunded in my DVC account so I will have to keep on top of that to make sure it is corrected this week.

Glad they took care of you.

I still don't see my DVC points refunded in my DVC account so I will have to keep on top of that to make sure it is corrected this week.

Give it a little time. And don't be freaked out if it looks funky at first. It'll settle down. :)

And the points are now showing in my DVC account! I will say I love this resort but the wifi is terrible.

And the points are now showing in my DVC account! I will say I love this resort but the wifi is terrible.
Yeah, I have always found the wifi "iffy" in the villas. Using it in the lobby, however, it was extremely fast.

My inlaws arrived today to join us here at Villas Grand Californian for 4 nights. I booked them in a studio. They checked in early and the room wasn't ready so they came to our 2 bedroom villa for lunch. FIL got a text around 12:30 saying with his room number saying his room was ready. Around 1 pm my kids took my inlaws to their room. When they opened the door there was a staff member heating up his lunch in the microwave in their room!! He said he didn't realize they'd checked in and it gets crowded downstairs and hurried off. I wanted to report it to front desk but FIL did not want to make a big deal out of it so I left it alone. He put on the do not disturb sign after that. If it were my room I think I would have called.

I personally think the front desk should know about it. Maybe not by name if FIL doesn't want to make a deal out of it, but in a general way. "A staff member was doing this at this time in this place, and that shouldn't happen"...

My inlaws arrived today to join us here at Villas Grand Californian for 4 nights. I booked them in a studio. They checked in early and the room wasn't ready so they came to our 2 bedroom villa for lunch. FIL got a text around 12:30 saying with his room number saying his room was ready. Around 1 pm my kids took my inlaws to their room. When they opened the door there was a staff member heating up his lunch in the microwave in their room!! He said he didn't realize they'd checked in and it gets crowded downstairs and hurried off. I wanted to report it to front desk but FIL did not want to make a big deal out of it so I left it alone. He put on the do not disturb sign after that. If it were my room I think I would have called.
Good gravy, that is nuts! Report it!

The is not the first report of this. I'm semi suspicious that housekeeping approves this, with the caveat that it only be done if the guest has not checked in yet which can be missed at times. But it's only my suspicion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter