At the risk of creating of a firestorm...

neenermom

Earning My Ears
...I'll ask my question. I'm new to the boards and this might have already been addressed, if it has, I apologize.

Is there anyone else who is as (fill in the blank with your choice) _____ upset, disappointed, shocked, saddened, etc., to see that Disneyland seems to be getting second, even third best for its 50th birthday? :sad2:

I am a lifelong DL fan, Disneyland brat (Dad worked there), and I am a former CM. There simply is no other place like it, IMO, and much of what you see today in the myriad of amusement parks around the world are places that are striving to be DL. We just took the Magic out of LA for the 50th (our first time traveling DCL, we loved it!), and I understand the ship is primarily out of Florida, and financially it makes no sense to replace many things for 12 weeks, I get that. But even though DCL "changed" its logo from black and red to gold, the signs inside for different events all touted the Happiest Celebration on Earth - at WDW. :confused3 :scratchin

I've never been to WDW. I'm up on my Disney history, and I know that Walt went about doing things differently there because of the way some things turned out at DL. It's closer to probably what Walt had in mind. And come 2021, I would expect nothing less than a fabulous party for the Magic Kingdom's 50th, the park that started it all in Florida. But it's 2005 and we should be celebrating DL, shouldn't we? Am I just sensitive on this (and it's OK if I am) or do others feel that WDW got the party that was intended for DL? ::MinnieMo

Yup--I watched a lot of TV on 5/5, and some of the announcers were so confused by the way that things are being handled, they thought that it was WDW's 50th. Good Morning America actually had that printed at the bottom of the screen for a little bit. It's like DL is an afterthought on its own anniversary. :sad2:

I definitely agree. It's like all your siblings getting all the attention when it should be your special day. I have many fond memories of Disneyland when I was a child and young adult, before there were any other parks; it is still the most special of all. :earsgirl:

Can I be really nosey and ask what job your dad had at Disneyland, and you as well! :earboy2: I'm so interested in how they interview the characters, and all that stuff. Just curious what your job was and if you loved it!

While it bothers me it does not shock me in the least. This is nothing new. Disneyland has been treated this way for the past 20 years. All the money gets poured in Disney World. Read these boards about the people used to going to Disney World. A huge portion of them will either ask, I'm used to WDW, will I be bored. Or will say why would I want to go to DL, I've been to WDW. No one realizes that DL may be smaller in size, but actually has more rides than WDW. WDW has a few more shows. DL compared to MK has a lot more rides, even though it is a lot smaller. Just because WDW is 4 parks, it is percieved as the better Resort.

I know that I felt jealous of all the things the other parks were getting for Disneyland's 50th birthday when they were announced last year. Disneyland is like a life-time friend to me. I wanted the best for its big day.

But I now look at how busy and crowded Disneyland has been since May 5th. There are many people visiting Disneyland for the very first time. If the celebration was only at Disneyland, we could see waits of 4 hours for attractions, people lining up in the morning for parades and night-time shows, 2 hour waits for meals...

Let's keep how special Disneyland is a secret. ;)

dletz said:
While it bothers me it does not shock me in the least. This is nothing new. Disneyland has been treated this way for the past 20 years. All the money gets poured in Disney World. Read these boards about the people used to going to Disney World. A huge portion of them will either ask, I'm used to WDW, will I be bored. Or will say why would I want to go to DL, I've been to WDW. No one realizes that DL may be smaller in size, but actually has more rides than WDW. WDW has a few more shows. DL compared to MK has a lot more rides, even though it is a lot smaller. Just because WDW is 4 parks, it is percieved as the better Resort.

Let's not tell everyone how great DL is!! It can be our little secret!! :laughing:
I agree with everyone that WDW is getting the majority of the publicity, but I guess it doen't bother me as much as it does everyone else. I've always known that DL was extra special because Walt had such a strong influence on it for so many years. I've always felt that although Walt was responsible for the concept of WDW it really didn't turn out the way he planned.
Think of the slight to DL in a different way. The Disney Corp needed to spend more on WDW getting it ready because Disneyland is already perfect!!! :rotfl2:

crazymomof 4 said:
DL is where the true magic started. I have no desire to go to WDW now or ever!

I felt the same way you do. It took a wedding to finally get me to WDW in 2001 for the first time...I swore I'd never go there. Why would I need to, I love my Disneyland!! However, I love WDW, not more than DLR, but it is different feel and fun. Overwhelming, but fun.

I too, am not surprised that WDW is getting alot of the focus with this celebration. But if you think "business like" about it, WDW has the facilities, the space and destination vacation setting behind it to keep it on top of the list to market this celebration (that isn't really theirs....) Heck, I just think of WDW as a really popular spin off....with out DLR, it would still be swamp land.

Unless I am mistaken, DLR is getting a big boost in attendance as well, from what I have read, so it isn't getting ignored, is it?

I CAN'T WAIT TO RIDE SPACE MOUNTAIN AGAIN!!!! (yes, I am shouting!!!)

I totally agree!! This was really bothering me in the months coming up to 5/5/05. There were so many TV commercials promoting WDW for the 50th and we live right next to DLR!!! I've realized that the reason they're probably promoting WDW so much is because of all of the Disney resorts. Disney has the opportunity to make a LOT of money from WDW, definitely more than at any other resort. While I understand this, it still bugs. :rolleyes:

Well, here's the perspective of someone who has been to both DL & WDW since May 5th. The "feel" of a celebration within the park at Disneyland is MUCH greater than that at WDW. Sure, us Eastcoasters got Soarin' and the (seen it once and that's enough) auto stunt show, but heck - they are building additional attractions at WDW constantly. That's nothing new as others have stated. That would have continued with or without an anniversary. So, yes, Disneyland did (and continues to get) shorted in that department.

But, while at WDW during this celebration, one never really gets the feeling that anything is really being celebrated. At Disneyland, I knew every moment that I was in the middle of the 50th anniversary. And, it's the little things that make that true. From the 50th Hidden Mickey's, to the Photo Collages, to the decorated castle, and especially the golden ride vehicles, the First 50 Years exhibit and absolutely the best daytime parade Disney has ever staged. Everywhere, people were wearing the golden ears. I truely felt the occasion. At WDW's MK, I just don't. It's not the same, it's clear that it is not about "this" place, but another.

So, I no this comes as no comfort, and it's just one person's perspective. But, I cannot wait to get back out to Disneyland at least once more before this celebration ends.

And, just one more thing, I am always surprised to read that some people hold steadfastly to the notion that they have "no interest in ever going to WDW." It almost reads like it would somehow be an act of treason on their part. It wouldn't, of course, Walt did have a thing or two to do with our park(s) as well. But, I would offer that at some point in time, you really should consider a trip East to see what Epcot is all about and experience the uniqueness of a "World" bound by Disney with no interference from the outside. It really is fantastic. Equally, I would offer that all of us WDW'ers should really try to get out to Disneyland at least once in their lives to see, hear, feel and experience the original. It is something you will thank yourself for doing.

ITA with the fact that WDW seems to be getting more attention. On GMA this morning they had a person showing how to get the most out of their theme park dollar. Was DL mentioned? No. WDW was and the lady said it was Disney's 50th anniversary. Hello? DL's 50th, not Disney in general. The company has been around a lot longer than that.

I have been to WDW and hope to go again in the (hopefully not too distant) future. It is a completely different experience, though. I had a blast. Not of the parks there to measure up to DL, but I loved Epcot and really enjoyed AK. DCA comes next on my list before MK and the Studios.

Wait wait wait, you're rating DCA as better then the Studios and florida MK?

There is just something wrong with that. DCA is an abomination as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, is it any wonder WDW get's all the press? It's a resort destination with absolutly nothing in this world to compare it to. Imagine if Disneyland were Yellowstone Park, WDW would be all National parks rolled into 1. and it makes Disney more money to get people to florida. MONEY MONEY MONEY. And let's face it, there isn't too much magic coming from Burbank these days.

I love DCA and would rank it above alot of the WDW parks as well. But since the DL and DCA are so close, I think of them almost as one and the same. I never visit one without the other! :) I am just happy that others don't think of it too fondly...less crowds for me! :cool1:

dletz said:
A huge portion of them will either ask, I'm used to WDW, will I be bored. Or will say why would I want to go to DL, I've been to WDW. ...Just because WDW is 4 parks, it is percieved as the better Resort.

It does seem DL gets lost in the shuffle and I'm amazed at how the A-List media even screw up which park is which.

I'm East Coast, so WDW will always be easier to visit, and I'll probalby go most years; but I also visit CA every couple of years and have to check out DL. I'm sure comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. They're different experiences.

I'm also making sure I've got 5 days allotted so I can take in every detail, see all I want, and relax at the same time.

My one observation is that if DL wants people to go for total immersion, they're going to have to add a couple of moderate or value priced resorts. If I were paying $250 a night, I'd probably be asking if it's worht it as well. I don't even pay that for Animal Kingdom Lodge!! I know they can fill their rooms at that price, but that's a pretty high-end price to pay.

But, at the end of the day it's Disney - so of course it's worth it!!

Dirk

I always ask people that have done both parks which they like better and they always look at me like I'm crazy. :crazy: I thought WDW was cool and all and it's definitely BIG! But, bigger isn't always better IMO. DL has a charm to it that I feel WDW is lacking in it's immensity. Call me crazy but I still love the original the best and I am sorry that it isn't getting the limelight it deserves.

Disneyland is not Walt Disney World. It's as simple as that. There's really no point in comparing them. Staying at the Disneyland resort in no way equates to staying at say the Polynesian. The Grand Californian, as impressive as it is was just an attempt to make DL more like WDW. Which is hard to do with all of Anaheim so close.

YoHo said:
Disneyland is not Walt Disney World. It's as simple as that. There's really no point in comparing them. Staying at the Disneyland resort in no way equates to staying at say the Polynesian. The Grand Californian, as impressive as it is was just an attempt to make DL more like WDW. Which is hard to do with all of Anaheim so close.

You know what though, I almost always see people who consider WDW their "home park" or most special destination doing the comparing. If you are comparing parks, resorts, dining and size then maybe WDW will win that particular contest. Maybe. If you are comparing history, nostalgia, and magic then for many of us Disneyland wins, small castle, surrounded by Anaheim and all. I think a love and extreme amount of loyalty towards Disneyland is something you either get or you don't. To me, Disneyland was Walt's park plain and simple. Had he lived long enough to be a real part of WDW then I might feel differently. He didn't so I don't. That said, I love them both, visit them both and don't spend much time comparing WDW and DL when I am at either one of them. I just sigh with happiness and thank God I made it there! And remember, different strokes for different folks. To you the Poly is a better experience than the Grand Californian. That doesn't make it a fact for everybody else. All of this reminds me of a recent conversation I was the fifth wheel on. Two friends arguing about which island is the best in Hawaii. I haven't been to Hawaii so I had no idea but my goodness they were both certain they were right!

I'm not going to get in the which is better arguement as someone earlier mentioned it's comparing apples and oranges....but I will say, I STILL have to look twice at the commercials that ask us to "join the 50th celebration" at WDW....HUH???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter