At what age are kids too old for kid's prices at restaurants?

Planogirl

I feel the nerd in me stirring
It just occurred to me that our son will be 10 during our next trip and we will likely have to pay adult prices for him. He eats very little and I can't see paying an adult price for him to eat at a buffet. Is the cut off age 9?

Any advice on how to best feed a light eater and also someone with a hearty appetite like my husband?

When we went in 2000 my then 13yr old son was having childrens meals in all restaurants (inc Disney) but one. The Ponderosa was the only one that queried his age, they were extremely rude too, so we wont be going back there:smooth:

I'm sure you'll be fine with your son.:D

He will pay adult prices for buffets at WDW (if you are honest):eek: (I am, some aren't...:eek: ). If you booked your room for a 10 yr old and bought a pass for your 10 year old, personally, I can't imagaine trying to say he's 9 in the restaurants....JMO.

However, the good news, he can still order from the kids menu anywhere that has a menu (rather than a buffet)...you know all the 3.99 and 4.99 deals for grilled cheese and hot dogs and chicken fingers and stuff like that. Regardless of his age, no one seems to mind if kids order kids meals. SO any place with a full menu (sit down and counter space), with options for a kids meal should work for your DS & DH.

Hope that helps!

At the buffets you will probably pay according to the cut off. But I do know when I go to WDW with my family, if I'm not that hungry, I'll order from the kids menu, pay the kids price and I'm 35 :)

No! He's does NOT pay adult prices for food. At Disney the ages for kid's admission are 3-9, but for restaurants it's 3-11. He will pay child's prices at WDW. I've booked a few character meals for this trip, and at every one the age range is the same.

Our DD is 14 and there are times she has snacked prior to our PS; so she's not too hungry to order an adult meal. She might look at the adult menu and order a salad or soup. If there isn't anything that appeals to her; she will ask the server to see a childrens menu. There has never been a problem w/ ordering her a childrens meal. Buffets are a different story, she would be charged the adult fare. Dinner shows she again would be charged the adult fare.

To get the child price at a buffet or show the age is 3 to 11. Under 3 is free.

Planogirl, you have a little more time before you have to deal with problem.:D
Last trip my DS was 10. We asked about what age was adult, were told 3-11 is child price. Most restaurants asked if we had any children when we check in for our PS. We told them their ages (have 2 teen DS also), did not/will not lie! DS10 was always charged childrens prices. We ate at sit down and buffets.

This is good news! I will of course be honest ;) but it would just seem such a shame to me to pay $20+ at the buffets for a kid who eats virtually nothing. I'm already contemplating the increased admission price! I'm glad that Disney is flexible about "adults" ordering from the kids menu too since that type of food is what our son likes best and I don't see that changing anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. It's time to work on the budget. :)

Wow! I'm glad to hear the restaurant adult age is differnet than the park pass adult age....didn't know that since my kids are 3, 2, and 7 months...lol...but it is good to know for far in the future trips! (Actually, I'm already planning a big bash of a trip for my own 40th birthday, and my oldest will be 10 then...I was thinking it was too bad she'd be an "adult" for the trip, but it's good to think that she'll still be a "kid" in the restaurants - if policies remain the same anyhow :rolleyes: )

Thanks for the info.

Good 'ol Disney is a bit confused (& confusing) when it comes to when a child is an adult.

9 & under are still kids for passes(admission) but for restaurants/buffets they are still kids until they are 11. And to top it off for hotel stays they are kids until age 17.

Disney's age ranges for kids has been the same for years, so I see no reason to suspect they're going to change anytime soon. Personally, I think charging as much as they do for preschoolers at character meals is a bit much. There's no comparison between a 3 yr. old and an 11 yr. old.

Originally posted by travelitis
Personally, I think charging as much as they do for preschoolers at character meals is a bit much. There's no comparison between a 3 yr. old and an 11 yr. old.
I agree. The 3 yo is going to enjoy the magic of the characters much more then an 11 yo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter