At What Age Do You Not Replace a Dog?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I've had dogs all my life, from birth till now. We're in our sixties, active, happy, stable.

I love herding dogs and the level of intelligence. We lost a 'heart' dog over a year ago and only have one dog. We have had multiples for the past 30 years. My dog is lonely. We miss having two.

My kids are starting their families and I do help at times. And when they visit, my 'grand dog' comes too.

But I sure miss my boy and would like to get another. We have the time and finances....but at what point is it the 'Last dog'?

And how much does other family opinion play into the decision?

I realize folks in their 80s with a dog, could be putting a burden on family if they pass before the dog.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2BBC2659-8064-4012-AE9C-999AF9C68F03.jpeg
    2BBC2659-8064-4012-AE9C-999AF9C68F03.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 3
I've had dogs all my life, from birth till now. We're in our sixties, active, happy, stable.

I love herding dogs and the level of intelligence. We lost a 'heart' dog over a year ago and only have one dog. We have had multiples for the past 30 years. My dog is lonely. We miss having two.

My kids are starting their families and I do help at times. And when they visit, my 'grand dog' comes too.

But I sure miss my boy and would like to get another. We have the time and finances....but at what point is it the 'Last dog'?

And how much does other family opinion play into the decision?

I realize folks in their 80s with a dog, could be putting a burden on family if they pass before the dog.

Thoughts?
Adorable dog!
I think you should thoughtfully follow your heart. If your health is such that you can walk two dogs and you enjoy their companionship then consider it.

Last edited:
We love herding dogs, too! I’ve pondered this question and what I will do when I get older. My current thought is that I will start adopting older dogs from shelters. It would allow me to save a dog that might otherwise not be saved while also lessening the amount of time that someone else might have to care for the dog. I would also identify someone who would be willing to take and love the dog if something happened to me. I wouldn’t adopt without making sure that was in place.

2 other ideas

See if your shelter needs foster parents for dogs awaiting homes. That way you don't have a full commitment unless you decide you want to.

Look for an older dog that needs a new home. Our son and his wife adopted a 5-7 year old dog that had been in an elderly person's home. He's been a great fit for them.

I have a relative currently looking into getting involved with a group that deals with service dogs. Apparently there are “raisers” and “sitters”.

The first group raises the puppies in their home, while the second takes care of the dog when the raiser can’t, such as when going on vacation.

Only you can decide what works best for your situation.

We lost our black lab about 2 years ago. He was so good with our 2.5 year old grandson. At that time, we also had a 6 month old grandson. Now…they are almost 5, 2.5 and 8 months. We made the decision that no dogs until these young ones are older.

A little sad, yes, we miss having a dog.

My parents had to put their dog to sleep a few years ago when my dad was 80 and mom was 69. My dad has since had a stroke and several other health problems. They felt it would be unfair to have a dog again even before the stroke. This isn't the right answer for everyone. I promised if they wanted a dog that if something happened we would take the dog and care for it. They just felt the time was right to stop with pets.

For me, I've never had puppies, but always gotten dogs between 3 - 7. That can still be a 10+ year commitment. I'm mid-50's now and if things go well, the current dog will get me to 60-ish. I think by then (based on current pain levels) my days of long walks, ball throwing, etc. will be over. Or nearly. But I cannot imagine a life without a dog in it.

My plan for "replacements" going forward after that is to try to find dogs that are around ten years old and overlooked at the shelters. I see a lot of them on "pet of the day" or whatever and it breaks my heart. At most, for a dog like that, I'd likely be looking at a five year commitment and very little walking. By that age, they're generally couch potatoes, as I will be. I'd do that for a few dogs/years until I'm just "too old" and getting closer to the probable end of my life.

At that point I think I'll look into fostering senior dogs, assuming I still have any ability to care for them -- physical and cognitive. When my abilities are completely gone, only then could I go dogless. I mean, I could go at any time, and this plan could go south, but I'd make sure that a friend could take them, or that someone from the rescue group I adopt from could foster/adopt if need be.

I’m 70. I have a senior dog, an adult dog and an adult cat. As they pass, assuming they go before me, I will not replace them. I have, however, made arrangements with my family members to adopt my beasties if I die before they do.
I volunteer a lot of my time driving shelter/foster pets to better situations. There is a massive overpopulation of pets and an incredible network of rescuers and drivers who shuttle great animals to somewhere they can find forever homes. I’ve driven purebreds and mutts, puppies/kittens, adults and seniors. If you do get another, please consider rescues. There are organizations for virtually every breed and legions of people willing to help your new family member get to you.

If you do get another dog, be sure it's a dog your heirs will also enjoy. DM and DD got an annoying, neurotic dog right before DD passed away - kindof out of desperation. Now DM has the dog but is almost to the point where she can't really care for it and neither I, nor either of my siblings' families want the dog. We all like dogs , but this thing...woof.

Only you can decide what works best for your situation.

We lost our black lab about 2 years ago. He was so good with our 2.5 year old grandson. At that time, we also had a 6 month old grandson. Now…they are almost 5, 2.5 and 8 months. We made the decision that no dogs until these young ones are older.

A little sad, yes, we miss having a dog.
My chocolate lab has been great with my youngest. He's about 2 years older than her (and getting on in age now :( ). As long as you treat them as family and get them around the grand kids before they are old enough to develop bad behavior (kids and dog) I see no problem with this.

I would put out feelers in the community to see if you can take in a dog some other senior leaves behind when they pass.

We are 54, our kids almost 19, almost 17 and 14. Our two sister dogs are turning 3 this year.

They will be our last dogs. I love them but my main reason of having them was to ensure my kids were never afraid of dogs, like I was. By the time these girls meet their maker, our kids should be grown and out of the house. They can get their own dogs then and I will enjoy visits.

My in-laws decided in their late 50's that the dog at the time was their last. Both of their daughters and all of the grandkids lived in different states and it became difficult to find care for the dog while they traveled. Now that we've moved within 10 miles of them and got our own dog, they are more than content to watch the granddog at times when we go away, but don't have the constant commitment.

The great thing about rescues is that they come in all ages. My 27 year old just adopted a 5 year old FIV cat because she wanted one others would overlook. We adopted our 13 year old dog at 3 months, even then I wanted an older dog but my friend was fostering this litter and insisted this dog was special and perfect (she was correct). If we ever get another dog, it will be an adult.

My brother (63) put his 17 yr old dog down a few weeks ago. He is so lost without him but has definitely decided not to get another dog.

I had many cats for years but when I finally lost my last one in 2019 we decided we were done with pets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter