Atkins "Induction"? First 2 weeks? Help!

leahannpen

<font color=0099FF>WDW fan and A.J. fan<br><font c
Hello all! I have been re-reading all the Atkins info to be found on the DIS site, and I have researched the Atkins site, but I have a few questions, if you don't mind. ( I printed off all the great low-carb receipes here... thanks! )

My DH and I are going to start the Atkins diet. I am trying to do lots of research so I am well informed. I did go to the library last night to get Dr. Atkins book, but they are out of it. It's gone and has been out for a while. So, I ordered the book on line at a discount. However, I probably won't get it for a few days to atleast a week or so.

How do I start? How many grams of carbs do I consume during the first 2 weeks, per day? None? I want to start now and get going on this, but I want to do it right. I know alot of you have had success on this and I was hoping some of you could get me started until I get my book.

A silly question, but I'll ask anyway. :o What do you do once you've been on? Can you ever eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, tortilla chips or any of that kind of stuff again? I love popcorn... is that a no-no always now?

Thanks for your help.

Be prepared to feel really awful the first week or so. I actually felt flu like until I was thru the sugar withdrawal. Try to keep it as simple as possible in the beginning. I am not really following Atkins to the 'T' but following the same idea. Make a list of low carb foods that you enjoy -- and then stick to that list for the first two weeks. That worked best for me. If I had too many 'choices' it seemed overwhelming in the beginning. Some of the things I ate the first weeks were ---

Eggs --- scrambled, fried, hard boiled with mayo, deviled
Bacon
Chicken Salad
Tuna Salad
Garden Salad with REAL dressing
Cucumbers with Blue Cheese Dip
Celery, Broccoli, and Cauliflower - raw or cooked
Fried Cabbage
Chicken Wings (non Breaded)
Grilled Chicken
Fish
Steaks
Cheeseburger with the works - no bun ofcourse
Celery with Cream Cheese
Hot Dog loaded with S.Kraut

I really eat about the same as I did before program BUT in place of the carbs I have lots of low carb veggies. This is such a healthy eating plan if done correctly AND I feel terrific! I'm cooking off a huge batch of cauliflower right now to make my creamy cauliflower soup. I puree cauliflower with cream cheese, butter, salt, pepper, chives and a little velveeta. YUM -- I often eat this for breakfast!;)

Atkins recommends 20 grams of carbs for induction. If you're going to do it, do it "by the book"... it'll really make things much easier after those first two weeks. Honestly. Eat ONLY foods listed here: Acceptable Foods and really work to get those veggies in.

The more you stick to whole foods... eggs, meats, veggies, the better off you'll be as far as cravings, weight loss and overall health. Give those first two weeks your all (and you're probably going to feel like crud for the first 5 days or so... nearly everyone does - it's your body shifting from burning glucose for energy to burning fat stores for energy, and getting over that sugar "addiction". It WILL get better, and you'll feel MUCH better... really.)

If you're going to succeed, don't think of it as a weight-loss diet... think of it as your new lifestyle. You could eat potatoes, pasta, breads... but you're CHOOSING not to. Really, once you've weaned yourself off them, you really don't miss them terribly. I thought I couldn't live without potatoes and pasta or potato chips! Haven't had them in 6 months, and I really don't care. Honestly!

Can you ever have them? Sure. But you probably will want to wait for a good long time before you do. And when you do, you won't want to overindulge.

You might also, when you get your book, pay close attention to the how and why low-carbing works. Or even pick up a few other books on the subject from the library. Everything clicked for me and made sense when I learned that it's the control of your blood-sugar and insulin release that makes it all work so well. We're eating foods low on the glycemic index... keeping that blood sugar down. Potatoes and white bread are high up on the list - fairly close to pure sugar - that's why you either want to avoid them, or have them in small doses.

Once you've been low-carbing a while, you're going to want to include whole grains in your diet... whole wheat, wheat bran, oat bran... much better for you than refined flours. You're going to want to include fresh fruits... lowest glycemic of those are berries and melons.

I wish you luck. It really is a wonderful way of eating if you do it right. (And weight-loss is a nice side effect! ;) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter