"ATKINS IS DANGEROUS," quotes my Professor

UCD Lance

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I'm an undergrad at the University of California, at Davis. Last quarter, while taking a Genetics class, the topic of the Atkin's Diet came up.
My professor was outraged! He ranted on and on about how dangerous the Atkin's Diet is. He explained that the lack of carbohydrates in the diet leads to low glucose levels in your system. Normally, the body's cells will burn glucose for energy, but when there is an absence of glucose, the body will burn fat as well as muscle for energy. The professor explained that you will lose fat this way, but low levels of glucose will lead to the build-up of dangerous toxins in the body. He also stated that it basically puts your body into the state of a type II diabetic. Since type II diabetics cannot recognize the insulin their body produces, they are unable to burn glucose as energy, therefore burning fat and muscle as energy.
I'm not the expert here, but my professor's words make me cautious. I just wanted to post this message as an FYI to those questioning the safety of such a diet. In any event, I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Lance
*Going to WDW for the first time on 7/4/03!!!!*

Thank you for posting what your professor said. I will look into it, because I like to learn...BUT, from experience...I am off my blood preassure meds for the firt time in years. I have lost 76 pounds, and I am no longer borderline diabetic. When I havemy physicals all my cholestarol and tryglyciride numbers are average. I can play with my kids and do things I have never done before.

I hope you are wrong...I will read and research this because I do not want to hurt myself, but so far the results can't be beat.

Welcome to WISH, Lance. What luck that you found the DIS and WISH all on the same day. I think it is very thoughtful of you to make your very first post on the WISH board. We certainly do appreciate your concern.

Here is some information about how dangerous Atkins has been for my husband. I posted this a few weeks ago, his numbers are better now:

My husband is type II diabetic diagnosed in 1988. He never controlled his diabetes and he ended up with two heart attacks (one he didn't know about and a serious one). The second heart attack resulted in a quadruple heart bypass in 1998. This threw a scare into him for about 6 months. While he followed the diabetic diet he just couldn't get his blood sugar under control. His glycolated hemoglobin stayed right up around 9.2 which is a dangerous number to have :(

After about 6 months he just gave up trying. He never tested his blood sugar although he had several different glucometers at home. He put off his appointments with his cardiologist and internist and just asked for medication refills as long as they would allow it and when they would finally say no more refills he would go in and have his blood work and examinations. He went from the diabetic diet (which back then was quite high in carbohydrates) to eating what he wanted and that happened to be just about anything high in carbs and lots of those foods. I would find empty packages of Hostess cupcakes, all kind of fast food bags and the healthy lunches I had made for him would be in the trunk, molded. About the only thing about his diet that wasn't bad for him was that he drank only sugar free soft drinks.

So, then I gave up too. Why make him a lunch that fit his diabetic eating plan if he was just not going to eat it? I just had to live with the knowledge that he was going to die fairly young. It hurt and made me sad but I did my best and it wasn't good enough. So, I gave up and watched his health decline :(

The doctors had told both of us that it wasn't a question of <i>if</i> he would have another, likely fatal, heart attack, it was simply a matter of <i>when</i> unless he could get his blood sugar under control, because diabetes damages the heart even <i>more</i> than cigarette smoking.

Even taking both glucophage and avandia, his glycolated hemoglobins stayed over 9. He always felt bad. He was fatigued and could never get enough sleep, sometimes he would have sham rages when his blood sugar got over 300 and he had a grey face with huge charcoal gray circles aroud his eyes. Even after he slept 12 hours he had a hard time getting up because he felt exhausted. His eyes began showing diabetic retinopathy and he had several laser surgeries to stop the bleeding in his eyes. He stopped being able to heal like he once did. The slightest bump on his legs left "scars" where the bruise had been. Once when had worn new shoes to the office, when he took his shoe off I saw that it was full of blood. He had developed a blister on his heal but didn't realize it because of the peripheral neuropathy. He had no idea he had a blister so he just kept walking and the blister eventually broke and he kept walking and it just got worse.

I got fairly resigned to the fact that he would likely die several years before me, the genetics were already in place and he was helping them along by not controlling his diabetes.

I'm not going to go into how we got started on Atkins or this post will be just too long--it probably is already. If you are interested in that send me and email and I'll tell you :)

So, we started Atkins together on 1/9/03. I had no problems. My husband had carbohydrate withdrawal. Slightly queasy, headachey, and grumpy beyond belief.

At the end of the 4th day of induction, however, he came home from walking on the treadmill at the gym and said, "I just feel <b>good</b>". I said, "Praise God" and asked him to check his blood sugar. It was still high but low for him. Instead of 250+ it was 170. At the end of his first week his blood sugar was 120 when he tested it before bedtime. At the end of two weeks it was <100. He was elated. He felt good, his sugar was getting under better control, he no longer had trouble finishing his 3 mile treadmill walk and he lost 13.5 pounds the first week. He was hooked on Atkins and a very happy man.

<b><i>But wait...there's more</i></b> ;)

His last physical before starting Atkins was on November 13, 2002. He had his blood work checked again on 2/1/03 three weeks after beginning his controlled carbohydrate way of eating.

I'm going to give you some numbers so you can see how he did:

First his glycolated hemoglobin:
11/13/02=9.2 3/4/03=7.1 4/8/03=6.1 [normal=4.1-6.4]

Fasting blood sugar:
11/13/02=204 3/4/03=not tested 4/8/03=143 [normal=65-110]

His fasting morning glucose is usually a little high because of his bedtime meds. It's called a dawn phenomenon. But even that has improved by 61 points.

HDL cholesterol:
11/13/02=47 4/8/03=56 [normal=30-60]

Total cholesterol:
11/13/02=195 4/8/03=156 [normal=125-200]

Cholesterol/HDL ratio:
11/13/02=4.1 4/8/03=3.3

LDL Cholesterol:
11.13.03=104 4/8/03=85 [normal=60-130]

Triglycerides:
11/13/03=219 4/8/03=123 [normal=10-190]

Sorry this is so long. I just think that in this instance the numbers themselves speak louder than words.

My husband now has a normal skin color, no more circles around his eyes, no more grey tinge to his skin. He has lost 30 pounds, has lots of energy. No longer comes home and goes straight to sleep. He laughs a lot more and he is happy.

He loves the foods allowed by Atkins. Doesn't miss any of the refined carbohydrates except sugar but he is happy with Splenda instead.

He told me after his first March blood work that he intended to continue following the Atkins nutritional approach even if he never lost another pound because he just feels better.

He loves to check his blood sugar now because it just tickles him to see it be 74 or 85 or 100 instead of 275, 400 or 150. He is happy and content.

Both his cardiologist and his internist are very happy and they have both told him to never stop eating the Atkins way. They tell him he is saving his own life by eating this way.

Thanks for dropping by, Lance. Are you planning a trip? The DIS is great for planning trips to WDW. Enjoy!

Katholyn

Glo,
Your experience raises an interesting point, since it is obvious that your level of overall health has increased so dramatically under Atkins. Furthermore, I understand it is not uncommon to lose A LOT of weight quickly with this diet. I wonder if my Professor was thinking of possible consequences of a very long-term commitment to such a diet?
As I said before, I am certainly not an expert in the area, but perhaps the rewards do outweigh any potential risks, in this case.
Lance<--- learning something new every day! Thanks and contrats GLO!

Lance, I have been eating this way since July 2001. I have b een slow and steady...I really do not expect to ever eat anyother way, unless it is a special occassion. As Kath said in the post above, her DH has possibly saved his own ife. There are good and bad to everything, but so isn't what a regular American person eats :(

Nativetxn,
Wow, those are fantastic "real world" results for your husband. My own father was recently diagnosed with Type II diabetes as well, and his doctor has also advised him to lay off of carbs. When he told me that, I also questioned the opposing viewpoints of my professor and his doctor regarding the safety of carb-free diets. With results like that of your husband's, it is hard to deny the benefits.
Yes, I am planning a trip to WDW!!!!! We have booked a lodge tower room at the Grand Floridian from 7/4-7/10!!! I realize from reading so many posts on the trip planning boards that we are going during the busiest time of year, but it was a convenient window of time between the end of spring quarter and the beginning of summer session(my last summer session, I am done with my psychology degree already and I will finish my human development degree in the fall!). I cannot wait!
Look for my upcoming questions on the trip boards regarding my trip planning, I have lots of them!
Lance

Welcome to the DIS and also WISH Lance! Were you planning to join us here on WISH or were you just stopping by to give support? This is a terrific group of people here on the DIS --- you will be glad you found us!

Enjoy planning your trip.
:D

Just want to say hello to you, Lance! I am sure you will LOVE the Grand Floridian! :) I was just there last night with my DH (visiting the resort, not staying as a guest). We saw the MK fireworks from just outside the food court (Gasparillas?) It was great! Hope you enjoy your trip!!! It will be a really busy time of year, but no less magical! ;)

I'll see you on the theme parks board Lance, but drop by WISH anytime :)

Hey Lance - good to see another Bay Area person here! (Californians are a huge minority on the DISboards!)
We need to keep informed of the varying views of the Atkins way of eating. I think that the "new" Atkins, which includes vegetables but shuns flour and sugar, is a lot different from the original Atkins diet that had people eating only bacon, eggs, steak & butter!

Welcome Lance!

I sure hope your professor is wrong, otherwise there will be a lot of people back to square one with their diets. I look forward to Glo's research.

Have Fun on your trip!

Your professor is just misinformed, as are many other people (including many in the health industry).

Low-carb diets are recommended to diabetics (as well as to a host of people with other dietary and physical problems). It does not CAUSE diabetes, nor could it.

I would hazard a guess that your professor is confused by a term used in low-carb dieting... ketosis. There is a difference between the fat burning ketosis, and the DANGEROUS Type II Diabetic condition of ketoacidosis.

What is ketosis?

Ketosis is really a shortening of the term lipolysis/ketosis. Lipolysis simply means that you're burning your fat stores and using them as the source of fuel they were meant to be. The by-products of burning fat are ketones, so ketosis is a secondary process of lipolysis. When your body releases ketones in your urine, it is chemical proof that youÂ’re consuming your own stored fat. And the more ketones you release, the more fat you have dissolved.

If you are restricting the amount of carbohydrates you eat, your body turns to fat as its alternative source of energy. In effect, lipolysis/ketosis has replaced the alternative of burning glucose for energy. Both are perfectly normal processes.

People (and even some ill-informed doctors) often confuse ketosis, which is a perfectly normal metabolic process, with ketoacidosis, which is a life-threatening condition. The latter is the consequence of insulin-deficient subjects having out-of-control blood sugar levels, a condition that can occur as well in alcoholics and people in a state of extreme starvation. Ketosis and ketoacidosis may sound vaguely alike, but the two conditions are virtually polar opposites and can always be distinguished from each other by the fact that the diabetic has been consuming excessive carbohydrates and has high blood sugar, in sharp contrast to the fortunate person who is doing Atkins.

Isn't ketosis a dangerous state for your body to be in?
The body uses two fuels for energy: fat and glucose (blood sugar). Carbohydrates break down in the body as glucose. So when you cut back on carbs, you effectively take away most of one of the body's fuels and the body is turns to fat burning, the metabolic process called lipolysis and the secondary process of ketosis. So long as you have extra body fat, ketosis is safe and natural—and it’s the secret weapon of weight loss. A person in ketosis is getting energy from burning ketones, which are carbon fragments that are created by the burning of the body’s fat stores.

There is nothing harmful, abnormal or dangerous about ketosis. Some of the confusion comes from the word ketoacidosis, which is completely different from ketosis. Ketoacidosis is a potentially dangerous condition seen in Type I diabetics—people who cannot produce insulin, when their blood sugar levels are out of control—alcoholics and people in a severe state of starvation. Research shows that ketosis does not cause adverse effects to the heart, kidneys, liver or blood cell functions. Nor is bone health compromised.

There's also a misconception that a low-carb diet creates a continuous state of ketosis. Not so. If people are following a low-carb diet to lose weight, they will strive to be in ketosis, but it usually only lasts while they're actively trying to lose weight. Most people follow a low-carb diet for the health benefits, rather than weight loss (which is actually just a nice side effect of the diet... low-carb tends to get the body to, and keep the body at, a healthy, optimal weight for that particular body). As a lifestyle diet, most low-carbers are not going to see ketosis.

If you are not taking in carbohydrates (which, in fact, people following the Atkins plan ARE consuming carbs... just complex, healthy carbs in lower quantities than the average American diet), the body WILL turn to it's fat stores for energy. This isn't dangerous, it's how the body works. As long as you're taking in adequate protein, you will NOT be burning muscle mass (as you would if you were eating extremely low fat, and not getting adequate protein). A common occurance of a low-carb diet is that the body will actually BUILD muscle as fat is burned off... the adequate protein helps with this.

Doesn't ketosis lead to loss of muscle mass?
The notion that the Atkins Nutritional Approach—high in protein, which builds muscle, and fat, which is used for energy—will force your body to break down muscle is incorrect. Only individuals on very low-calorie diets can lose muscle mass, because they have an inadequate protein intake. Atkins, however, is not calorie restricted (this isn't an invitation for gorging, but a recommendation to eat until you are no longer hungry) and the high protein intake required offsets any possible loss of body mass.

As far as an absence of glucose in the body being dangerous... low-carb dieters do not have an absence of glucose. We have normal, MAINTAINED blood sugar levels. High blood sugar levels are not healthy for ANYONE... and spikes in blood sugar levels wreck havoc on any system. Non-diabetics are fortunate that their systems work properly, and can release enough insulin to combat the crap they put in their mouths everyday that raises their blood sugar... but it puts a toll on even a healthy person's body. You know that sugar-high you get after eating a candy bar or a sports drink? What happens after you "come down"? You feel sluggish, tired, drained. We don't hit the sugar highs and lows, so we don't get that tired, drained, sluggish feeling. Our bodies are working properly, and aren't being strained.

If people even bothered to learn what consitutes a low-carb diet, there wouldn't be so much misinformation floating around. Low-carb diets do NOT consist solely of meats and fats. Low-carb diets are well-rounded, and include protein, vegetables, fruits, WHOLE grains, and fats. The only things a low-carber has eliminated from their diet are refined white flour and refined sugars. Refined flours and sugars are not necessary in any diet, and have ABSOLUTELY NO health benefits. They're junk food, plain and simple. Surely no one can argue with the fact that a Twinkie is not a healthy food, can they?

I would wager a bet that someone following a low-carb diet eats healthier than your average Joe on the street... consuming more vegetables, fiber and even fruits, probably even fewer calories, and certainly nowhere near the amount of sugar, the average person consumes on a daily basis. AND, that the low-carbers blood sugar levels are more even, their cholesterol is probably lower, and they don't have those sugar highs and lows that "Joe" experiences every day.

I would also recommend that ANYONE on either "side" of the low-carb issue inform themselves as to what is actually happening to/in the body while a low-carb diet is being followed... rather than going on heresay, rumor, myth or otherwise. There are many good resources available - it's up to us to educate ourselves, whether we agree with it or not.

You can look at some of these for more information about low-carb eating, and maintaining normal blood sugar levels:

www.atkinscenter.com

www.diabetes-normalsugars.com

www.low-carb-diet-safety.com

www.wilstar.net/lowcarb/research/

Interesting article... www.redflagsweekly.com/Thursday_report/2002_sept05.html

The story that started the last wave of low-carb hype... www.musc.edu/psychiatry/slater/Taubes1.html

(Note: quotes above are from www.atkinscenter.com)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter