Atlantic Dance - Another Disney Best Kept Secret

alright I went and checked out Atlantic Dance club tonight. First I talked to the door host and my friend gave me some history on the club and why it's there. I did find out that it's contracted with the swan/dolphin until 2014 so the good news is it's not gonna close anytime soon. Disney of course does not promote it much, which is a shame because it's a really nice club.

The crowd wasn't too bad, lots of women and gay guys with some straight guys who navigated towards the dance floor as they got liquored up. The DJ played a wide variety from 80s to 90s to modern. He even played a 70s set as well. I don't generally tolerate some of the hip hop modern music, but he varied things enough that I had a good time.

I talked to the manager(who also gave us a ride to our car) about PI and he said there are a lot of people who have been coming and mentioning PI or who were regulars at PI.

All in all, it was a good variety and they took requests, which I don't always like, but coming form a DJ who is very picky, I thought they did a pretty good job. If you're looking for a place to dance, this is the only place, so get in and give them the business.

It's got great potential and given that it's on Disney property, they could (and should) be making a killing there. Great information....thanks!

BobK/Orlando

I checked out AD again tonight because A) I had nothing better to do and B) it was free.

The bartender knew what I wanted to drink(long beach) which is always a plus in my book.

I entered at 10am and there were 50 people(I literally counted) By the time I left at about 12:30 there were closer to 100 and the dance floor was getting a little busier. Sad, but it's a Tuesday so it wasn't too bad.,

I did some more research with the DJ and confirmed it is a company contracted by Disney to DJ at the club. Most of his songs, however, were the exact same as Friday. There was some variance, but not much. My future roomie and I had fun, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

If they really wanted this place hoppin they would be doing theme nights and getting people that way. I did talk to a manager who knew the manager I worked under at 8-trax. She told me they have an opening on Tuesday night for people to pick up hours and it might not be on the extra hours hotline, so she took my contact info and said she'd call me to let me know what's going on with it and keep me in the loop for shifts!

Just goes to show ya...it's not about what you know, it's about who you know! She knew Jeremy when he was a manager at 8-trax so I know I'll get a good recommendation from him!

Atlantic Dance Hall is by no means a replacement for the Adventurers Club, but it's definitely an alternative. While they don't exactly play a ton of music from the 70's, I believe it appeals to a large demographic, most notably 20-40's. They play a great deal of 80's and 90's which is a lot of fun for the late 20's and 30's set. I love the place because like the AC, people can come as they are without being judged. It's a great place to unwind and have a great time dancing. It is by NO MEANS a hip hop club. Most of the music is fun and nostaligic. Think Prince, Madonna, INXS, MC Hammer, etc. They'll throw in an occasional Beyonce tune, but you'd be hard pressed to hear the new Jay-Z song. There is also NO SMOKING. I implore those of you (PI'ers) looking for something to do at night, to go there. There is no cover, and the more people, the more likely they are to really mix things up. Who knows, they might start a big band or other theme nights.

alright I went and checked out Atlantic Dance club tonight. First I talked to the door host and my friend gave me some history on the club and why it's there. I did find out that it's contracted with the swan/dolphin until 2014

That's so weird seeing that a lot of the conventions
at the Swan/Dolphin rent out Jellyrolls. You would think
that Disney would want the conventions to give them
the money because of the contract.

I'd love it to be the Adventurers Club new home :thumbsup2

I checked out AD again tonight because A) I had nothing better to do and B) it was free.

Well you could go back to Wisconsin and take this horribly cold air you BROUGHT with you BACK with you, lol!! Thanks for the continued information; very interesting. Yes, my understanding is that all the DJ's at AD are outsourced. I'm hoping that my connection to a different DJ company can get me and my boys in there for the PI Reunion.

You would think that Disney would want the conventions to give them the money because of the contract.

Yeah, you would think. But who would have guessed that Disney would have given up on the entire adult evening market.

BobK/Orlando

jarrdisney: Thanks for the music rundown. For me, even the 70's is much too recent!!
Now--play 40's Big band, lots of 50's and maybe some very early 60's stuff (before the Beatles came and ruined it all:) ) and I'm in!!

Of course this won't happen so thank goodness I have Satellite radio for my music. But it does sound like it will appeal to the 20-40 group, so let's hope business will pick up.

My wife and I went to Atlantic Dance one night about ten years ago when there was a swing band playing there, and what an atmosphere! The place was just incredible. It was packed with people, and about half of them were younger kids, maybe even under drinking age, because, if I remember correctly, they were allowed in, at least at that time. Regardless, there were a lot of younger people in there, and they were all dressed in 30's - 40's period costume -- zoot suits, fedoras, flapper dresses, etc. -- and all certainly knew what they were doing as far as swing dancing went. Of course there were plenty of older folks (like my wife and I) there as well, taking a slightly more "casual" (i.e. street clothes, etc.) approach to the dancing, but all in all It was just incredible -- a lot of fun.

After the swing dancing craze of the late '90's waned a bit and those colorful crowds at AD thinned, my wife and I often thought of that night and how sad it was that this beautiful period dance hall was now pretty much empty most of the time. She had a great idea that Disney should create a dinner show to play in that hall, along the lines of Hoop-de-doo or the Poly Luau, but big-band themed, with performers all dressed up like those dancers were that night. Wouldn't that be a great use for that hall? Even if it were only a few nights a week, like Mondays through Wednesdays or something, when there isn't as much of a clubbing crowd. You could have actors interact with guests at the bar a-la Adventurer's Club -- I think it could really be something.

My wife and I went to Atlantic Dance one night about ten years ago when there was a swing band playing there, and what an atmosphere! The place was just incredible. It was packed with people, and about half of them were younger kids, maybe even under drinking age, because, if I remember correctly, they were allowed in, at least at that time. Regardless, there were a lot of younger people in there, and they were all dressed in 30's - 40's period costume -- zoot suits, fedoras, flapper dresses, etc. -- and all certainly knew what they were doing as far as swing dancing went. Of course there were plenty of older folks (like my wife and I) there as well, taking a slightly more "casual" (i.e. street clothes, etc.) approach to the dancing, but all in all It was just incredible -- a lot of fun.

After the swing dancing craze of the late '90's waned a bit and those colorful crowds at AD thinned, my wife and I often thought of that night and how sad it was that this beautiful period dance hall was now pretty much empty most of the time. She had a great idea that Disney should create a dinner show to play in that hall, along the lines of Hoop-de-doo or the Poly Luau, but big-band themed, with performers all dressed up like those dancers were that night. Wouldn't that be a great use for that hall? Even if it were only a few nights a week, like Mondays through Wednesdays or something, when there isn't as much of a clubbing crowd. You could have actors interact with guests at the bar a-la Adventurer's Club -- I think it could really be something.

I totally agree and I would love to attend something like that! I loved going to ADH when it was Big Band themed.

my wife and I often thought of that night and how sad it was that this beautiful period dance hall was now pretty much empty most of the time. She had a great idea that Disney should create a dinner show to play in that hall, along the lines of Hoop-de-doo or the Poly Luau, but big-band themed, with performers all dressed up like those dancers were that night. Wouldn't that be a great use for that hall? Even if it were only a few nights a week, like Mondays through Wednesdays or something, when there isn't as much of a clubbing crowd. You could have actors interact with guests at the bar a-la Adventurer's Club -- I think it could really be something.

FANTASTIC idea!!! That would really leverage the facility in the true fashion it was designed for and would work so well with the theming of the Boardwalk resort. What I absolutely hate to see is AD taken over and dominated by the crowd that is just looking for an immediately available replacement for Traxx/Motion/Mannequins (those spots and that type of nightlife at WDW are gone, get over it already, you'll survive, there's always Citywalk ;) ). To use AD as just another generic contemporary disco is a sad, huge waste of great themed space.

FANTASTIC idea!!! That would really leverage the facility in the true fashion it was designed for and would work so well with the theming of the Boardwalk resort. What I absolutely hate to see is AD taken over and dominated by the crowd that is just looking for an immediately available replacement for Traxx/Motion/Mannequins (those spots and that type of nightlife at WDW are gone, get over it already, you'll survive, there's always Citywalk ;) ). To use AD as just another generic contemporary disco is a sad, huge waste of great themed space.

Motion was just another top 40s club and using it in the same light as 8-trax and mannequins is a sin of the dance world. 8-trax and Mannequins(especially mannequins) were unique environments. No one else can compare and citywalk doesn't even play techno, so no, it's not an alternative.

I have been vigorously club hopping TRYING to find a replacement for mannequins and 8-trax. There are some options that come close, but none will ever compare.

Remember there are a lot of convention travelers, single people, and college program participants who enjoy dancing. You might not, but we do. Not everyone can get to or is willing to pay to get to citywalk and the options downtown face the same obstacles.

Maybe people are flocking to AD because it's the only place LEFT to dance. Disney is just too damn blind to see the demand!

What I absolutely hate to see is AD taken over and dominated by the crowd that is just looking for an immediately available replacement for Traxx/Motion/Mannequins (those spots and that type of nightlife at WDW are gone, get over it already

Well, I'm not ready to get over it.
And AD has already been taken over by the Motion crowd. If you look at the marquee, it reads VIDEO DANCE PARTY TONIGHT.

BobK/Orlando

Well, I'm not ready to get over it.
And AD has already been taken over by the Motion crowd. If you look at the marquee, it reads VIDEO DANCE PARTY TONIGHT.

BobK/Orlando

That's just the promo du jour and it given history it will change yet again.

For the only constant of Atlantic Dance is continual re-direction of the theme, as Disney (endlessly) searches for a successful format to draw not just club-hopping locals and CMs but the real deep-wallet target of resort guests.

When it opened with the Boardwalk in 1996, Atlantic was an "upscale" nightclub with a pure 1930'-40's styled format (swing bands and cocktails). That didn't draw enough, so within a few years Disney changed it to (guess what) a club playing contemporary music videos. That didn't draw well either, so it briefly went through a phase of being a Latin Dance Club (circa 2001-2002). When that failed, it fell in to a long, painful period of mish-mosh formats (all sorts of variations of recorded contemporary pop during the week with some live music appearing on the weekends).

And while it stagnated, the club next door (Jellyrools) thrived. Why? A sit-down cabaret worked well with the theming of the Boardwalk and attracted a broad adult audience, not just a local party crowd.

And Disney is still searching for a similar outcome for Atlantic Dance. Yes, for the moment it's being "appropriated" by the disco types solely because of the evaporation of their old hangouts (they had absolutely no interest in AD when PI was around). But if they think Disney's plan is to permanently change the northern end of a key family resort area into "PI II," I fear they're strongly mistaken.

That's just the promo du jour and it given history it will change yet again.

CandyMandy, thanks for the history information about AD as I know very little about it. You're certainly right that Disney won't let the place become a PI II because of it's location immediately adjacent an expensive hotel (Boardwalk) where they don't want a lot of revelers coming and going until 2am or more. Or so I've been told. And that's why I titled this thread Another Disney Best Kept Secret.

But I'm not so sure they really are looking for any success out there. I've been told that they provide the place for the Swan and Dolphin under contract but that they have little interest in advertising the place. Fact it, there is no advertising unless the two hotels are doing so directly to guests only. The only time I've seen Disney mention the place was this past New Year's Eve when they offered it for an extremely competitive (for that night) $25 entry fee. And it was a total sell out! They could do that all the time if they wanted to. But Zulemara reports some crowded nights at AD when hotel guests attending conventions or meetings come over.

Thanks again!
BobK/Orlando

I have been told the AD was originally built to be an addition to PI even though it was across the way. The reason is that PI in it's peak was selling out every thurs, fri, and saturday nights and they wanted something to offer to guests as an alternative. Then they were afraid it would compete with PI so they scaled it back a bit. If you look at the main entrance you'll notice to the left there is a large covered area. That was built because they expected long lines like mannequins. Once they discovered it wasn't going to be an alternative to or even compete with PI, I assume that's when they went through all those changes looking for an identity. They did not want to totally theme it out a la PI because of the competition fear.

I absolutely believe Disney has NO intention what so ever of promoting this club. They took away the PI fireworks at midnight because of the boardwalk DVC guests.

It would do much better I think if it offered theme nights. Techno one night, 8-trax, the next, top 40 the other 3, and of course they are closed sunday and monday.

Either way attendence has been up. I've been there twice and once was a Tuesday night and it ended up getting fairly busy(for it, not in comparison to PI of course)

I absolutely believe Disney has NO intention what so ever of promoting this club. They took away the PI fireworks at midnight because of the boardwalk DVC guests.
PI fireworks were removed because of Saratoga Springs DVC guests, as SS was across Village Lake from PI. But I agree that the lack of promoting the place has to be deliberate.

It would do much better I think if it offered theme nights. Techno one night, 8-trax, the next, top 40 the other 3, and of course they are closed sunday and monday.
I agree. But this would only work if they were trying to increase business. It would be interesting to know who profits if sales increased, Disney or the two hotels?

Either way attendence has been up. I've been there twice and once was a Tuesday night and it ended up getting fairly busy(for it, not in comparison to PI of course)
Apparently when the hotels are full, the place does pretty well in its current format, from what you've discovered.

BobK/Orlando

You wanna make Atlantic Dance thrive?

Slap a "Dancing with the Stars" dinner show in there!

I swear, that place would be packed every night! :thumbsup2

You wanna make Atlantic Dance thrive?

Slap a "Dancing with the Stars" dinner show in there!

I swear, that place would be packed every night! :thumbsup2

haha so true! I am door host tonight so I'll give a full report tomorrow!

ok so here is my report for the night:

It was a pretty slow night tonight, but I had quite a few good conversations with the managers and a couple regulars who visit AD multiple times a week. Pretty much everything we have said was confirmed to me. Disney won't advertise because of the hotel, and their main clients are the convention crowd. Thus, it can be really busy or really slow on any given night.

As for the music - I was really impressed tonight. There were several 8-trax sets along with 2 techno sets and some modern mixed in with it all. I don't remember the DJ's name, but either he was a different one, or had different requests tonight, I don't really know.

If you're looking for anything other than the really hard hip hop stuff they played at motion, it's really best to come early. They didn't start playing anything like that until after midnight.

As for theme nights, it's safe to say it's not something that's going to happen. While it would be fun and predictable(something I like), it's not practical for the crowd they primarily target(convention)

The basis of the club is they play requests. After seeing them play two techno sets, I'm confident that if I asked for a main stream remix of a popular song, they would play it. Given the large age range they get, it really seems the request format works well for them.

So with all that said, the fact still remains that until PI is reopened, this is still the one and only place for dancing on property and I truly believe it's also Disney's best kept secret. Perhaps I'll add AD to my list of clubs I visit at least once a week

FYI - the girl working the light board tonight worked the light wall at mannequins, so we chatted about how much we miss it.

There were several 8-trax sets along with 2 techno sets and some modern mixed in with it all.

It seems that it might be cheaper to slip the DJ a few large notes and get him to play 8TRAX and Mannequins music all night than it would be to rent a PI venue.

And if that's the Mannequins lighting girl, she sure won't mind! Hmmmm.

BobK/Orlando

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter