Attending MVMCP with a disability/medical considerations

Zombie

Mouseketeer
Hello:

We are looking to attend our first MVMCP this year -- and it will also be our only Disney park "day" during this trip.

We are trying to figure out how to best manage this for our family. I was hoping that some people in here might have experience with attending the special ticketed evening "parties", and might be able to give us some insight on what to expect and how to operate to make the best use of our time and money spent while operating within our abilities and constraints.

The short version of our family needs is basically that there will need to be the option to sit down at certain points during the event. Standing for long periods of time (and in one place without moving) has the potential to create unpleasant/medical dangerous situations for us, as well as just creating a pain and fatigue aftermath.

I've contacted Disney but didn't get the most helpful response in clarifications so I'm hoping someone here might have experience with this.

Basically, do you need to get/be granted the DAS pass when we go in to be able to access the wheelchair viewing area for the parade and fireworks? Or if we rent/bring a wheelchair or have our seated walker with us will that be enough to grant us access?

And, if we are allowed access, will just the individual (and/or the individual and 1 attendant) be allowed into the viewing area or will our whole family be allowed to stay with them?

What is the viewing like from that particular area? Is it very good (particularly for the individual in the seated position)?

If we aren't granted a DAS pass or having the seated walker with us isn't enough, would we be allowed to bring a little folding camp stool (about 12 inches long and easily folded like an umbrella to be carried in a standard backpack when not in use) into the park and just use it on Main Street curb "seating"/viewing? We've never tried this before but this is something we're seriously considering for this trip even for just in lines, but we aren't sure how it will go over with security check and ride attendants. It's really not obstructive and small, though.

Also, because having the option to sit (and the potential need to sit down quickly or get out of a crowd and do somewhere to sit quickly) is a priority for us, we are expecting that we'll likely just have to stake out a spot on Main Street and spend most of the night/party there (if we want to be able to sit on the curb and to have an unobstructed view if seated). Does that seem accurate?

We've been looking at the schedule and it does seem there are some gaps between shows. And we aren't entirely sure how soon we should go stake a seat and where. We also know from previous years just as Wishes that everyone just crowds into a tight mound for the fireworks. That might not really be an option for us this time at all. So we are wondering where we might be able to position ourselves to still have a good view of the fireworks and castle projections but to still have some room to move (and get out of there if there's a problem) and hopefully to sit as well.

We have considered the Dessert Party to see the fireworks. But our two problems with it are that it really is just so expensive when the party itself is already pricey. And again, with the medical issue there are also dietary/food restrictions and allergies, and though we do know (and love) Disney for the accommodations they make for our situation. We still just aren't sure in terms of the dessert party even with their best intentions and efforts that it'd really be worth it when it came to the value of the food/treats. And paying that much extra for a place to just sit down is a little much. It'd be quite the whack to our trip budget.

Our second issue with it is the movement/timing to get to it? It might make getting a spot for the parade that allows seating on a curb/unobstructed viewing from a seated position (while also not wanting to obstruct too many other people and families by our needs). And with the timing of how they move you and check in and what not, we get the sense we'd probably have to do the second parade, which really isn't a situation we want to plan for as we don't anticipate we'll make it that late.

We are sort of expecting that after our few rides and dinner we're likely -- unfortunately -- going to have to go and park ourselves on Main Street by about 7:30 to get a decent spot for our needs and just sort of stay put (beyond bathroom runs). But if we're over-estimating the length of the shows and how crowded and pushy people get about getting spots to see things in the Main Street area, please let us know.

Or if anyone with disability and medical needs have attended the party and just doesn't feel the crowds and long standing periods to see the entertainment makes it a feasible or reasonable expense for a family with health considerations, that insight would be appreciated too.

I think our party will still mostly be happy if we get to see the decorations and the park lit up with the holiday feel, gets to do about 3-4 rides, have a favourite Disney treat or two, seeing the castle get lit up as the ice castle, and seeing the parade.

We do certainly want to see the fireworks but we do know the last two times we attempted Wishes it wasn't the best experiences (1. The street was just so jammed packed with so many people having their children up on their shoulders. 2. We sat over in some of the chairs/patio near the ice cream shop and between the umbrellas and trees the view was very obstructed, which didn't really make use going over that night specifically and sticking around for it worth it.). Though, I suspect if we don't at least try to see the fireworks, there's going to be some disappointment (and possibly tears). But, I'm sort of expecting that part of the night to go poorly for our family -- or at least not be very enjoyable. It's why we're trying to figure out so far in advance how/where we might position ourselves to make it less of a disaster.

What we'd like to see on the Main Street are the Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration, Frozen Holiday Wish, Holiday Wishes Fireworks and the parade. We are leaning toward seeing the earlier parade because we aren't sure we'll make it all the way until 11 (and midnight) with the medical challenges and the busy/late/long day/night we're facing.

Any thoughts or insights is appreciated.

I haven’t attended a party but will answer some questions that are standard:

there will need to be the option to sit down at certain points during the event.

The primary accommodation is to us a mobility device with a seat. That may be a rollator, wheelchair or ECV. I recommend bringing your own as WDW may run out of rentals, plus you’ll have it to/from transportation.

do you need to get/be granted the DAS pass when we go in to be able to access the wheelchair viewing area

No. A wheelchair or ECV does not need a DAS.

will just the individual (and/or the individual and 1 attendant) be allowed into the viewing area

Possibly. Especially if it’s busy. You don’t mention the size of your party, but plan on just 2 in the HA viewing areas; the rest of your party should plan to be elsewhere. There is no requirement that a wheelchair/ECV watch from those areas.

would we be allowed to bring a little folding camp stool

No. Folding chairs or stools of any kind are not allowed for any reason. They create a safety hazard in the busy parks.

Enjoy the party!

Hello:

The short version of our family needs is basically that there will need to be the option to sit down at certain points during the event. Standing for long periods of time (and in one place without moving) has the potential to create unpleasant/medical dangerous situations for us, as well as just creating a pain and fatigue aftermath. the only option is a Personal Mobility device. that is what Disney will tell you. rent from off site.

Basically, do you need to get/be granted the DAS pass when we go in to be able to access the wheelchair viewing area for the parade and fireworks? Or if we rent/bring a wheelchair or have our seated walker with us will that be enough to grant us access? two completely different things. having a DAS does NOT mean you have access to a the wheelchair viewing. only wheelchairs and ECVs have access and it can be limited to the person in the PMD and one caregiver

And, if we are allowed access, will just the individual (and/or the individual and 1 attendant) be allowed into the viewing area or will our whole family be allowed to stay with them? see above answer

What is the viewing like from that particular area? Is it very good (particularly for the individual in the seated position)? no way to tell. IIRC there are a coupleof different places , depending on which event you are talking about.

If we aren't granted a DAS pass or having the seated walker with us isn't enough, would we be allowed to bring a little folding camp stool (about 12 inches long and easily folded like an umbrella to be carried in a standard backpack when not in use) into the park and just use it on Main Street curb "seating"/viewing? We've never tried this before but this is something we're seriously considering for this trip even for just in lines, but we aren't sure how it will go over with security check and ride attendants. It's really not obstructive and small, though. as a general rule, no.

Also, because having the option to sit (and the potential need to sit down quickly or get out of a crowd and do somewhere to sit quickly) is a priority for us, we are expecting that we'll likely just have to stake out a spot on Main Street and spend most of the night/party there (if we want to be able to sit on the curb and to have an unobstructed view if seated). Does that seem accurate? you always run th erisk of being moved by a Cast member or being crowded up by people who show up last minute.

We've been looking at the schedule and it does seem there are some gaps between shows. And we aren't entirely sure how soon we should go stake a seat and where. We also know from previous years just as Wishes that everyone just crowds into a tight mound for the fireworks. That might not really be an option for us this time at all. So we are wondering where we might be able to position ourselves to still have a good view of the fireworks and castle projections but to still have some room to move (and get out of there if there's a problem) and hopefully to sit as well. other more knowledgeable people would be able to offer options like paying extra for VIP seating

[...]

my issues are not nearly as severe// my WC is all the accommodation I need. that being said I would never pay extra to attend any of the after hours parties and I would never do fireworks ( I just cannot hold my neck in that position to actually see or enjoy them.)

the only reasonable solution is to have a WC or ECV. theres comes a time when only being able to spend x amount of time in the parks becomes a deal breaker from going at all.

Hello:

We are looking to attend our first MVMCP this year -- and it will also be our only Disney park "day" during this trip.

We are trying to figure out how to best manage this for our family. I was hoping that some people in here might have experience with attending the special ticketed evening "parties", and might be able to give us some insight on what to expect and how to operate to make the best use of our time and money spent while operating within our abilities and constraints.

The short version of our family needs is basically that there will need to be the option to sit down at certain points during the event. Standing for long periods of time (and in one place without moving) has the potential to create unpleasant/medical dangerous situations for us, as well as just creating a pain and fatigue aftermath.

I've contacted Disney but didn't get the most helpful response in clarifications so I'm hoping someone here might have experience with this.

Basically, do you need to get/be granted the DAS pass when we go in to be able to access the wheelchair viewing area for the parade and fireworks? Or if we rent/bring a wheelchair or have our seated walker with us will that be enough to grant us access?

And, if we are allowed access, will just the individual (and/or the individual and 1 attendant) be allowed into the viewing area or will our whole family be allowed to stay with them?

What is the viewing like from that particular area? Is it very good (particularly for the individual in the seated position)?

If we aren't granted a DAS pass or having the seated walker with us isn't enough, would we be allowed to bring a little folding camp stool (about 12 inches long and easily folded like an umbrella to be carried in a standard backpack when not in use) into the park and just use it on Main Street curb "seating"/viewing? We've never tried this before but this is something we're seriously considering for this trip even for just in lines, but we aren't sure how it will go over with security check and ride attendants. It's really not obstructive and small, though.

Also, because having the option to sit (and the potential need to sit down quickly or get out of a crowd and do somewhere to sit quickly) is a priority for us, we are expecting that we'll likely just have to stake out a spot on Main Street and spend most of the night/party there (if we want to be able to sit on the curb and to have an unobstructed view if seated). Does that seem accurate?

We've been looking at the schedule and it does seem there are some gaps between shows. And we aren't entirely sure how soon we should go stake a seat and where. We also know from previous years just as Wishes that everyone just crowds into a tight mound for the fireworks. That might not really be an option for us this time at all. So we are wondering where we might be able to position ourselves to still have a good view of the fireworks and castle projections but to still have some room to move (and get out of there if there's a problem) and hopefully to sit as well.

We have considered the Dessert Party to see the fireworks. But our two problems with it are that it really is just so expensive when the party itself is already pricey. And again, with the medical issue there are also dietary/food restrictions and allergies, and though we do know (and love) Disney for the accommodations they make for our situation. We still just aren't sure in terms of the dessert party even with their best intentions and efforts that it'd really be worth it when it came to the value of the food/treats. And paying that much extra for a place to just sit down is a little much. It'd be quite the whack to our trip budget.

Our second issue with it is the movement/timing to get to it? It might make getting a spot for the parade that allows seating on a curb/unobstructed viewing from a seated position (while also not wanting to obstruct too many other people and families by our needs). And with the timing of how they move you and check in and what not, we get the sense we'd probably have to do the second parade, which really isn't a situation we want to plan for as we don't anticipate we'll make it that late.

We are sort of expecting that after our few rides and dinner we're likely -- unfortunately -- going to have to go and park ourselves on Main Street by about 7:30 to get a decent spot for our needs and just sort of stay put (beyond bathroom runs). But if we're over-estimating the length of the shows and how crowded and pushy people get about getting spots to see things in the Main Street area, please let us know.

Or if anyone with disability and medical needs have attended the party and just doesn't feel the crowds and long standing periods to see the entertainment makes it a feasible or reasonable expense for a family with health considerations, that insight would be appreciated too.

I think our party will still mostly be happy if we get to see the decorations and the park lit up with the holiday feel, gets to do about 3-4 rides, have a favourite Disney treat or two, seeing the castle get lit up as the ice castle, and seeing the parade.

We do certainly want to see the fireworks but we do know the last two times we attempted Wishes it wasn't the best experiences (1. The street was just so jammed packed with so many people having their children up on their shoulders. 2. We sat over in some of the chairs/patio near the ice cream shop and between the umbrellas and trees the view was very obstructed, which didn't really make use going over that night specifically and sticking around for it worth it.). Though, I suspect if we don't at least try to see the fireworks, there's going to be some disappointment (and possibly tears). But, I'm sort of expecting that part of the night to go poorly for our family -- or at least not be very enjoyable. It's why we're trying to figure out so far in advance how/where we might position ourselves to make it less of a disaster.

What we'd like to see on the Main Street are the Mickey's Most Merriest Celebration, Frozen Holiday Wish, Holiday Wishes Fireworks and the parade. We are leaning toward seeing the earlier parade because we aren't sure we'll make it all the way until 11 (and midnight) with the medical challenges and the busy/late/long day/night we're facing.

I have done the MNSSHP and MVMCP I love them both for the fireworks you can normally find a spot on main street 15-20 minutes before time with a good view. for the parade if you can do the second one this is much less crowded, but if you have to try and show up a little early main street fills up first. I have medical needs that are affected by walking and exercise sometimes not knowing what you are it sounds like having a wheelchair will be a big help also prioritize what you want to do in case you can not do everything.

The night I attended MVMCP, I had walking pneumonia and the other person in my group was using an ECV (rheumatoid arthritis and old spinal injuries). We didn't get a lot done as far as rides or greeting the rare characters, but I still don't regret buying the tickets.

The parade was absolutely beautiful. At first we weren't going to to watch; I was so sick that I was dying to get back to the hotel and crawl into bed, but we literally couldn't get through the crowd on Main Street to get to the exit, and none of the CM's we talked to would help. So, I basically collapsed on the sidewalk where I was, and luckily there was room next to me for the ECV. But I've got to say, once I was at least sitting down, the parade and the whole party atmosphere was so magical it did make me feel better.

The night I attended MVMCP, I had walking pneumonia and the other person in my group was using an ECV (rheumatoid arthritis and old spinal injuries). We didn't get a lot done as far as rides or greeting the rare characters, but I still don't regret buying the tickets.

The parade was absolutely beautiful. At first we weren't going to to watch; I was so sick that I was dying to get back to the hotel and crawl into bed, but we literally couldn't get through the crowd on Main Street to get to the exit, and none of the CM's we talked to would help. So, I basically collapsed on the sidewalk where I was, and luckily there was room next to me for the ECV. But I've got to say, once I was at least sitting down, the parade and the whole party atmosphere was so magical it did make me feel better.

My gosh - was this last Friday? Are you feeling better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter