Attenedance Down at 13 out of 14 Disney Parks

dpic

DIS Veteran
"LOS ANGELES — In a rare slowdown in one of the hottest areas of the entertainment business, attendance declined at 13 of 14 Disney theme parks around the world in 2016 compared with 2015, according to an independent report released on Thursday. Higher prices, intended in part to ease crowding at certain parks, were a major contributor, analysts said."

New York Times Link

Edit--Sorry about the typo in the title...

Last edited:
Yep, not really a surprise though. Disney has reported in their quarterly earnings that attendance has been down.

Competition is heating up with Six Flags, Cedar Fair, and others. Not to mention Zika and the host of terror incidents. Makes sense why free dining and discounted rooms are still rearing their heads.

Did Universal go down too? Is this affecting all theme parks?

Also from this side of the pond I assume that Brexit and the pound situation has something to do with it.

Which is making a not cheap holiday already more expensive.

Most of the people I know are putting off trips till everything is open (Toy Story and Star Wars) as they now can't afford the cost of multiple trips so saving up for one big trip.

So I'm warning you now 2019 is shaping up to be very Brit heavy; well in my group of pals anyway lol

Last edited:
Looking forward to an influx of Brits, so long as y'all don't start chants and cheers in line.

Can't promise that as it will be a Rugby world cup year and you all know how much we love the ruggers!!

Although us brits do love a queue so the summer periods should be fine, just lots of British people waiting patiently in long lines.. ahh bliss.. :teeth:

"LOS ANGELES — In a rare slowdown in one of the hottest areas of the entertainment business, attendance declined at 13 of 14 Disney theme parks around the world in 2016 compared with 2015, according to an independent report released on Thursday. Higher prices, intended in part to ease crowding at certain parks, were a major contributor, analysts said."

New York Times Link

Edit--Sorry about the typo in the title...
The article said that the Magic Kingdom at WDW was only down by 0.5%, and Disneyland was down by 2%. Not very significant drops, especially at MK. The big drops were at overseas parks, especially at Disneyland Paris (14%), due largely to concerns about terrorism in Europe.

So I wouldn't be quick to read too much into this. I would welcome shrinking attendance, to ease crowding & eventually prices, but don't see a massive trend in that directon in the American parks.

Glad at least the numbers aren't still rising.

The Canadian exchange rate is a factor too. Canadian travel to the US is down 11% in the past year. That's why they had the special Canadian ticket sale, and I'm sure more to come.,

Interesting. I wonder if some folks hit their breaking point. I did last year, and wouldn't have bought a AP if the Dis didn't have their 20th.

Epcot is my favorite park and it feels gutted. I enjoyed FEA but would have preferred that be an additional attraction instead taking something else away. WS needs a headliner.

The article said that the Magic Kingdom at WDW was only down by 0.5%, and Disneyland was down by 2%. Not very significant drops, especially at MK. The big drops were at overseas parks, especially at Disneyland Paris (14%), due largely to concerns about terrorism in Europe.

So I wouldn't be quick to read too much into this. I would welcome shrinking attendance, to ease crowding & eventually prices, but don't see a massive trend in that directon in the American parks.

Glad at least the numbers aren't still rising.

Exactly. And honestly, DL might be just due to construction. It turned me off last year and makes it a "maybe" this year- I'm not going until the rivers are for sure open. It's small as it is- I don't want to imagine the crowds if you can't ride the train or roam around Tom Sawyer.

Disneyland Paris is due to terrorism but honestly probably also due to the fact it isn't a major attraction. It was fun, but it feels like a lame duck. I did everything I wanted to do in both parks in 1 day. Sure, lines were short, but not THAT short.

For Florida anyway I think it can be attributed to a couple of things. They have been resting on laurels for far to long and have been kicked into action because of Universal. Now they are building everywhere! The price of going to Disney and staying there is getting to much when you factor in everything. Eg I was planning on staying at Disney at a moderate resort and upgrading the free dining to the dining plan was working out £2000 dearer than staying at Cabana Bay in Universal. So as a result what was going to be a more pure Disney holiday is now a more a Universal holiday now for the second year in a row. Just generally getting over to Orlando now is more expensive. I also think not demographics per se but people bringing there kids now grew up on more exciting rides and Disney rides don't look as exciting as Universal now. Going back to resting on the laurels it feels like every year now Universal has something to go back for. This year Fallon and Volcano Bay, next year Fast and the Furious. The crowding of the parks I think is an issue to. Going to Disney you pay premium prices but now imo it does not feel as premium now. I do expect park numbers to explode for Star Wars land. I also think opening a 5th gate would change a lot of perception and think there are a number of signs pointing towards it. The biggie is to combat Nintendo Land from universal, then we have a possible big legacy item for Iger, Star Wars Land will boost attendance numbers that much there will be demand for a new park due to the number of visitors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter