• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attn "mature" adults-need help convincing MIL

mommystieg

<font color=green>Now understands that the one stu
We are trying to plan a family trip for next June. Last night, FIL told me he was definitely going but "Mom doesn't want to go if it is just a bunch of rides":rolleyes: Kinda makes me wonder if they ever listen to us talk about our trips:confused: Although I think she will enjoy seeing the grandkids having fun, I need ya'll to help me convince her that WDW is A LOT more than rides. What are some of your favorite things to do while in the World?

How old is MIL (if I may ask)? I'm figuring she must be somewhere near my age. Even though I love "rides" (TOT is my fav), I spend quite a bit of time just enjoying the sights. I can spend hours wandering around World Showcase at Epcot, people-watching and just plain relaxing. Viewing Illuminations is an awesome way to end the day there. Does she enjoy shows? The Festival of the Lion King in the AK and Fantasmic at the Studio are spectacular. WDW dining can also be a fabulous experience (depending on the budget). I hope you get a lot more suggestions here to help you convince her.

What about Cirque du Soleil, Downtown Disney, the more educational-type shows (like Indiana Jones and Flights of Wonder) and rides which are slightly less frenetic like Small World (my 70 year old Mom would come all the way from the UK just to ride this :p). Then there's the architecture, the landscaping (the Animal Kingdom is an excellent example of this), hidden Mickeys and the food of course! We had a meal in the Brown Derby which was truly divine, particularly the cheesecake topped with a blue chocolate sorcerer Mickey hat. Does your Mom like swimming because you can't get much better than Typhoon Lagoon can you? It's like a tropical island and Castaway Creek is sooooooo relaxing it's untrue.

Why don't you get her one of the travel guides with plenty of pictures in like the Birnbaum's official guide which has some nice ones. Then of course there's also the planning video/DVD which should give her a better idea of what's available. Or you could get some travel brochures.

My Mom and I are lucky enough to be visiting the World again this summer for 3 weeks :Pinkbounc and we both agreed that we could visit Disney World, not go on even one ride and still have a fabulous time.

I hope you persuade your Mom to go - I'm sure she'll love it.

Edie

My in-laws are in their mid 60's and are very active. I ordered her the video for people traveling with grandkids;) I have a couple of guide books and we always show them all of our pictures. I told FIL that we had been to Epcot nearly 10 times in our 2 visits and have yet to make it through every country. I think she is afraid to commit to going in case the rest of DH's siblings can't afford to go. We talked about this last July after we joined DVC in the hopes they would starting saving but they are not that "fiscally responsible":rolleyes: I have been over there every night with my SIL's though, talking it up and showing how they really can afford to go so keep the great suggestions coming and wish us luck.

I hope she decides to go because I think she would have a lot of fun.

Don't forget about the tours at each park. I love the Universe of Energy at EPCOT, I know that's a ride but it's fun and it's airconditioned. I could spend hours in the World Showcase..as a matter of fact, I spend hours in the WS every trip :)

AK has lots of walking and watching opportunities, Festival of the Lion King is wonderful.

The shows at MGM are fun, I think. Backlot tour is also very entertaining. Fantasmic is great. (My favorite is Illuminations bur Fantasmic is wonderful).

Magic Kingdom has plenty of slower rides that I'll bet she would enjoy.

I am almost 54 and I have a ball at WDW. I usually travel solo, too. I can't imagine that your MIL wouldn't have a blast if she was there with her grandchildren. Will there be children traveling with you?

I just wish I had some grandchildren to take to WDW. How wonderful it must be to see all the magic with children :)

Let us know what happens. Fingers crossed that your MIL goes with you.

Katholyn

Hi I am in my fifty - mother is her 80's and we both love WDW - it is a fun place no matter what you age.

If we don't feel like visiting the parks - we go visit the WDW resorts - the architecture, theme, design, landscaping - are so different - that can be fun.

Maybe she knows that she won't be able to kept up with your kids and doesn't want to slow you down.

tell them that WDW resorts have free wheelchairs that can be used all over not just the theme parks.

Maybe she is afraid that DVC is like some of those other timeshares - where you are bullied and corner into buying - nothing will calm that fear - so be patient - assurance her that she will not have to visit with any salesperson less she want too.

DW and I have just convinced my dad and his wife to join us in December. DS is there doing the WDW College program and of course we will be there for that time of year.

In talking with my dad, (they are in early 70's) his concern I thought was unigue. It seems they get up around 5:30 each morning. They do not like to sit around once they are up. He wants to know what he can do and where can he go at 6:30 in the morning!!!!

Walk - the WDW resorts are beautiful then - i love my early morning walk around whatever DVC resorts I am staying at - then by 7:00 am catch the bus to whatever park you are going to see - the surprise park will open at 7:30 am - so he can one of the first inside.

where would you be staying?

each WDW resorts have different things happening at different times.

We will be staying at the BCV. I dropped lots of hints this weekend and picked up some of our pictures and showed her. One of my SILs has pretty much committed to going(with or without her stick in the mud spouse). I keep talking about all the amazing stuff there is at WDW but I am hoping if she hears it from a bunch of other people she will finally believe me;)

are they interested in gardening - BC/YC/BCV have a landscaping tour that is free (or was) - that covers both resorts.

hey you can walk easily to Epcot that is worth something -

at night or early morning - walk around the BW - it is very beautiful when the sun is rising or setting and at night - when it is all lite up - very pretty.

also tell them that when you do the Illiuiniations at Epcot - that by the time you are savely in your room - that most people aren't even to the buses or their cars - but less their resorts or homes....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter