• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Attractions in most need of complete Re-Imagineering

hookedonears

Louisianan
For us, these are easy choices.

1) Kali River Rapids
2) Primeval Whirl
3) Stitch
4) Tom Sawyer Island
5) Carousel of Progress
6) The USA Pavilion at EPCOT
7) Journey Into Imagination
8) Captain Weirdo
9) The Great Movie Ride
10) American Idol
11) Sounds Dangerous
12) Indiana Jones
13) Back Lot Tour

I'd add Dinosaur to the list... it pales in comparison to its sister ride at Disneyland.

I don't know what you'd do with Carousel of Progress, other than keep the final scene more up to date with present times.

The Great Movie Ride is what it is. :) How would you change it?

Being a coaster fan, I've always been disappointed with Primeval Whirl. A mouse coaster that you can find at any carnival, and then TWO of them next to each other? I wish they would create one custom double-sized mouse coaster and maybe enclose parts of it. Have sections of free spinning and then sections of no-spin where you are looking at something specific, like a dinosaur.

Attractions in most need of complete Re-Imagineering -

1. Stitch
2. Stitch
3. Journey into Imagination
4. Stitch
5. Sounds Dangerous

Is it wrong to say Space Mountain? I know this coaster is uber-popular, but when I went on it last week, I came out with nothing but a soar neck. They need to smooth out the track instead of having it jostle you around.

What a great question! Don't beat me up too bad over some of my suggestions. ;)

MK:
Country Bears - they need a complete overhaul
Pooh - I'm sorry I love Pooh but this feels like an attraction from a carnival
Stitch - Nuff said
Tomorrowland Speedway - They could drop skins on the vehicles to look like the characters from Cars and make the elements in the surroundings look like Radiator Springs.

EP:
Captain EO - It was fine in the 1980s but not now. And if MJ hadn't died they would have never brought that back. It was opportunistic.
Circle of Life - Have you ever done this? In this day and age there is a better way to get the green message out.
France film - the best part of this is the statues in the waiting area. This is the France of long ago and not today.
Maelstrom - I don't know why so many people make this a must see.

DHS:
Sounds Dangerous
Lights Motor Action - It feels like this attraction doesn't live up to the potential.

AK:
Kali River Rapids - Short, preachy and not what a raft ride should be

Is it wrong to say Space Mountain? I know this coaster is uber-popular, but when I went on it last week, I came out with nothing but a soar neck. They need to smooth out the track instead of having it jostle you around.

It's not wrong at all. Space Mountain at Disneyland is a much better experience than the one at WDW, and they were both re-done at the same time. Sometimes Disney can make the worst decisions.

Totally agree, although it's one of the most popular Disney rides of all time. I absolutely love roller coasters, Hulk, Dragon Duel, Kumba, Manta, Rockin' Roller Coaster, but Space Mountain just doesn't do it for me. First time I went on it the lights were on so could see all frame work, and kept having to lower/duck my head as I kept think I was gonna hit some of the bars. Was allowed to ride it again right away because of the lights being on. This time, lights off, all effects working and didn't enjoy it as kept thinking my head was going to come off. Maybe the first experience is what made me not like this much, but when I went back on it earlier this month, didn't enjoy it again. Was in the front cart and my balls got crushed/banged around so much I couldn't wait for it to finish.

I know a lot of people hold this ride close to their heart so please don't hate on me, just my opinion:)

Love the idea of the speedway getting a re-design with Cars theme

It's not wrong at all. Space Mountain at Disneyland is a much better experience than the one at WDW, and they were both re-done at the same time. Sometimes Disney can make the worst decisions.

Not sure but a think the refurb at DL occurred quite a bit earlier than at WDW. The problem is that when they did the WDW refurb they didn't go far enough and fix the track for a better ride.

The Great Movie ride comes to mind first- the animatronics are outdated, and sadly, a lot of today's generation haven't seen many of the movies represented in it, so it could benefit from more current scenes. Maybe even Disney movies, but then again not everything has to be about their properties.

My list:

1. Kali River Rapids (only time I got off a WDW ride thinking the Six Flags counterpart was better.)

2. Ellen's Energy Adventure (has to be the most boring ride at WDW. And I don't like Ellen. Double whammy.)

There are a few others that could be updated and made more interesting. But those are the 2 I really don't bother with and no one in my family cares about them, either.

Love the idea of updating the Indy Speedway to a CARS themed ride. My DS's would ride that all day.

Carousel of Progress....hands down
Stitch...we won't go back because my son was so scared....yeah no thanks

Attractions needing complete re-imagineering:

Stitch - Obviously.

Journey into Imagination - I watched a YouTube of the old version, and was struck that the original version focuses on genres of creativity (art, literature, science); while the current version is much more childish in its focus on senses. Needs a complete rewrite to return to the spirit of the old version.

DHS Backlot Tour - Such a pathetic shadow of what it used to be, and out of place at a park that's no longer a working studio. Tear it out and replace it with an expanded Pixar Place with E-tickets (Monsters Inc. coaster, Cars ride, Incredibles motion simulator...)

Sounds Dangerous - I wrote this on a different "needed rides" thread, but return to something like the old Monster Sound Show, where audience members help make a short by adding effects, but modernize it. Have audience members do a green sceen acting scene, a motion capture, electronic SFX additions, and a computer modulated voiceover.

Attractions needing significant re-imagineering:

Carousel of Progress - the big problem is the huge jump from the 50s to the 2010s; it doesn't need just one new scene, it needs 2. Keep the 1910s first scene and the 1950s 3rd; then do a 1980s third scene and a 2020s fourth scene. The second to last scene should be something adults taking their kids are familiar with; as it is, the third scene almost predates my 59 year old mom.

Tomorrowland Speedway - Give it a Cars reskin, or better, a "Cars of Disney" reskin using multiple movies - Cars, Herbie, Benny (from Roger Rabbit), and I'm sure there are others.

Ellen's Energy Adventure - Do people still remember who Bill Nye is? At least Ellen's stayed moderately popular. Also needs a scientific update to deal with new energy developments like shale oil. Not sure how to make it more than "movie with dinosaurs," and I don't that's an automatically failing concept, but it would be worthwhile to rewrite and tighten up the movie part.

Country Bears - It's supposed to be corny and silly, but the sound quality was atrocious last time as I was there. Can be kept, but rewrite and rerecord the show.

Great Movie Ride - It's supposed to be the history of movies, but the lack of update in 20 years is glaring. Doesn't need a complete overhaul, but does need scenes from "classics" of the last 2 decades. Particularly comic book movies; with Disney's acquisition of Marvel, they should be able to include scenes from the Spiderman and X-Men franchises.

Mission Space - Just one nitpick: you'd think Disney would be creative enough to actually make the interactive controls work a little bit! It's supposed to be a simulation in the story, so if the rider screws up, you can have autopilot take over without breaking immersion.

1. The entire HS park please please please it's awful so much potential so little to show for it:sad2::sad2::sad2:
2.Dinoland USA does not fit the park:sad1:
3.Swiss Family Treehouse-come on people
4.Stitch-seriously were the imagineers drunk when they thought of that one:drinking1
5.Hall of Presidents-the only time I go in here is when I need a nap
6.Country Bear Jamboree-this show makes me sick:furious:
7.Tomorrowland Speedway-Seriously it's pointless:confused3
8.Journey into Imagination-got on youtube old one's much better
9.Carosuel of Progress-what a snore
10.Splash Mountain-Note to Disney:you will not be flamed if you replace the animatronics with newer ones:thumbsup2
Could be more but i can't think of any right now

I agree with what most have said in this thread, and would like to add Winnie the Pooh to the list. Not that it's a bad ride here, but if you've ever been to Tokyo Disneyland, WDW's just pales in comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter