August 2016 coming quickly....

I am not looking forward to it either. But where the truck probably takes me 2 hours to do, the RV only takes me 2.5-3.5 hours depending on how many black streaks I need to get rid of first. The large flat surfaces make it really easy to apply and remove the wax compared to the truck which has a lot of seams and curves. Plus its coming up at 18 months since the last one....

But with Disney as the ultimate goal I think it will help lend me the motivation to get all the stuff done.

Had a great weekend at the races! Not too many issues but some drivers are very happy they did not skimp on their safety equipment. All in all though the races where fun to watch and a blast for the drivers. Lots of people finding their way to the podium that have been trying to find their way up there all season.

Sunday races wrapped up at 4, took me about an hour and a half to be ready to roll on home. We got all the racing response equipment put away, next race is Labor Day weekend. After that I finished securing everything in the trailer to bring the rolling condo home. She is now in her home berth and waiting for some general maintinence and some cleaning to be done over the next few weeks as we prepare for the trip. One thing I am going to work on with the summer nights is to get her washed and a fresh coat of wax. It is a big job but I found if i break it into multiple evenings it is not that bad as long as you have the time. Caren will help me by taking care of the interior cleaning and packing during the same course of time. I can't wait.

Sounds like you're getting close. If you want to swing by StL some of your evenings, my trailer could sure use a bath... I was going to was it after our Branson trip, but it was supposed to rain for 2 or 3 days and I gave up and put her back on the storage lot.

Had a great weekend at the races! Not too many issues but some drivers are very happy they did not skimp on their safety equipment.
Did they have some safety checks in impound or some incidents? Every weekend, they checked something at impound. I only had to do an emergency evacuation once and that was in my old Fox body with doors that didn't open. It gave me 20 seconds instead of 15 for the guys with doors, but still not easy with 6 point harnesses, a cool shirt, Hans and helmet on.

NASA is serious about infractions. $50 for each thing. No Nomex socks? $100.

j

All drivers must present all their gear plus cars log book with a valid 12 month annual and no write ups to get a tech sticker allowing them on track. SCCA is very structured about that. But this weekend went to show how a well built cage and not going cheap on your seat selection can save you a lot of pain.

We had a double emergency during the Saturday SM race. For the non racing folks, an emergency declaration on the radio net is that a wreck was bad enough that the station declaring is insisting on radio silence other then control and those responding to the incident. This ensures clear and concise information can be passed back and forth without undue or unneeded interruption. First station two called an emergency after one car had a high speed roll after getting tagged when they where still side by side at the start of lap 2. It was a violent roll with the car coming to rest upside down, due to the damage the driver could not exit the vehicle without our teams assistance. But he was able to exit on his own once we stabilized the vehicle and pried the door open. As soon as that emergency was declared and the net was clear station 4 also had to declare an emergency as separate car get together with another hit a tire wall and rolled came to rest on its roof as well. This was less violent roll, but still equating to an emergency declaration. This car had much less damage and the driver was able to exit by the time the second emergency crew arrived.

Good news is both drivers where OK. The station 2 driver was transported due to bruised ribs and a possible punctured lung. He was released the next day after observation. Driver from station 4 incident spent the required time in medical at the track and was allowed back on track the next day once they fixed his car.

This is the car from the turn 2 incident.
13645092_10153169776757465_6314594811190652412_n.jpg

We are posting this picture as a serious reminder of why we DO NOT SKIMP ON SAFETY EQUIPMENT. Our driver walked away from this car after rolling it multiple times at Summit Point Motorsports Park today. He will be sore tomorrow but he is fine thanks to all the safety equipment. If you want to go racing and you do not have the money for a well built roll cage and a good seat, seatbelts, helmet, HANS, suit, etc., you do not have the money to race a car. Period, no exceptions, we don’t care how talented or careful you are. Thank you to Piper Motorsport, Safecraft Racing, HANS Performance Products, Sparco Official, and Mazda/ Mazda Motorsports for making products that keep our drivers safe and allow them to do what they love. #SafetyFirst #SpecMiata

— at Summit Point Motorsports Park.

But back to the trip preparations. Last night was just unwinding from the race weekend, getting the house back in order and laundry started. Tonight is Caren and my 2 year anniversary, we are going to dinner and enjoying our evening together. Tomorrow I can start to fret a little about preparing the trailer for the trip and at the same time for our trip out of town this weekend. Not going far, just a weekend at a convention, this one happens to be star trek related (racing is my thing, this is her thing.) After that it will be full on prep for the trip in my book.

PS. Sorry I wont have time to wash or wax anyone elses trailer. I have enough to deal with at home.

This pic was shared yesterday on FB among my racing friends. A lot of unkind remarks about Summit Point. After I heard the driver was ok, my first thought was, hey, that hard top looks like it's ok! (For non race readers, Miata hardtops are required in Spec Miata and are hard to find. They also go for $$$ if you manage to find one.

PS. Sorry I wont have time to wash or wax anyone else's trailer.
If you were a little closer, I'd rent out DS. He still has challenges understanding the value of hard work some days, but what teenager doesn't?

Take it easy getting ready for the trip. If the camper was usable at the track, it will work at the Fort.

j

I don't know why there are unkind words on SPR. Seriously, I have worked and watched less able "EV crews" just do the most horrible or unsafe jobs out there. But then most of the "pros" out in the amateur racing world is used to newer tracks surrounded 100% by k rail or barriers so when you hit it hurts the car even more then berms on a straight area launch cars. The old tracks that don't have that are now deemed unsafe and blah blah blah. I hear it all the time and laugh because I been to so many tracks and last time I checked they where ALL dangerous. But not to digress, yes SM requires tops and they are getting harder to come by for the first gen.

Back on topic!!!! Today Caren and I worked on the plans while we are there. She managed to snag a fast pass for frozen ever after (fan or not, its new with a long wait and that alone is worth it.) I then picked my dinner by picking the new dinner package for Tiffins followed by Jungle Book reserved seating!!! So not only try a new resteraunt, but get reserved seating for the new show!!! We are working on some more fast passes and plans for the trip and working in time for at least me to get back and take care of the pups. Right now we are still on the plan of early out to the parks, back during the afternoon heat and head out for dinner/stuff come evening. For August I think that is a good way to go for us, we shall see how that works out in reality.

Back on topic!!!! Today Caren and I worked on the plans while we are there. She managed to snag a fast pass for frozen ever after (fan or not, its new with a long wait and that alone is worth it.) I then picked my dinner by picking the new dinner package for Tiffins followed by Jungle Book reserved seating!!! So not only try a new resteraunt, but get reserved seating for the new show!!! We are working on some more fast passes and plans for the trip and working in time for at least me to get back and take care of the pups. Right now we are still on the plan of early out to the parks, back during the afternoon heat and head out for dinner/stuff come evening. For August I think that is a good way to go for us, we shall see how that works out in reality.

It's is funny to read this post of yours because that is almost our exact plan. I have two boys and frankly we have grown some distaste for Frozen because it's jammed down your throat every ten feet. Also, we LOVED Maelstrom so were disappointed. But, we took a FP+ because of the same reasons you stated. Also took the Jungle book FP+. We have been in August before and will be there next week. Our plan as in the past is being there for rope drop and staying until we can't bear it (usually noonish) and then returning after the inevitable rain that cools it off (around 4-5pm). Has worked well so far. I bring one of those "As seen on TV" blue towels that you dampen and drape over your neck. Looks silly but REALLY works to keep you cool. Have fun!

I have several cooling towels that Caren bought me for my birthday our first year together. With working the track from March through November I get to spend many summer days out in the heat wearing long pants and boots. Thankfully short sleeve shirt and carry a fire resistant coat just in case, but the cooling towels are awesome and definitely help me manage the heat of the day. We are ordering a couple more for the trip to help keep us cool.

I am actually not over frozened personally, but I think Disney is trying to ride that pony for a little too long. However, Maelstrom needed a serious refurbishment or update and I think this one may be it. And its new, so like the mine train which is not my favorite as I prefer Big Thunder over it, I still went. I went on little mermaid too when it first opened. I been really excited about going to see Jungle Book and Animal Kingdom even having evening hours!!! But to get Reserved seating (similar to FP+) AND try a meal at Tiffins their newest restaurant in one shot, I am so in on that deal. It is my dinner out pick for the trip and at this point we have Chef Mickeys, California Grill (during the fireworks of course), Biergarten and Tiffins lined up for the trip. Caren still has not made her dinner pick yet, but once that is done plus two other nights we agree on something we are set for dinner. Our food costs will be controlled by lunch and breakfast at the RV which is fine by me (most of the time at least.)

Since the dogs will be down with me and the summer heat, I think it will work well for us to go back around noon-1 timeframe to relax, cool off, take care of pups, hit the pool, etc.

I just got a table at Tuskers for the breakfast deal to get us into the Jungle book show. Saved that FP+!!

I'm really sweating (pun intended) that our dog will be cool while we are gone too so we usually come back at same times. What tracks do you work and what kind of events? I'm a huge NASCAR fan myself.

I don't know why there are unkind words on SPR. Seriously, I have worked and watched less able "EV crews" just do the most horrible or unsafe jobs out there.
Nothing but kudos to the emergency crews and the car constructor, but lots of digs about the track condition and overall facility. I've never raced there, so I can't speak to it. The Miata cage looked like it did it's job considering a hard rollover.

Right now we are still on the plan of early out to the parks, back during the afternoon heat and head out for dinner/stuff come evening. For August I think that is a good way to go for us, we shall see how that works out in reality.
For July/August heat, it's a great plan. Or finding some place with A/C inside the parks for regular breaks.

j

... I then picked my dinner by picking the new dinner package for Tiffins followed by Jungle Book reserved seating!!! ...

I just got a table at Tuskers for the breakfast deal to get us into the Jungle book show. Saved that FP+!! ...
FWIW, I think the dining package seating was quite a bit better than the FP+ seating. ...bummer for me but great for you. Congrats on your ressies & enjoy the show!

Wow! It's amazing how much I just read that sounds similar to our plans. Early out to Parks.... back by about lunch (or FP+'s with AC) to cool down during the height of the days heat... then back in the evening.

I like the cooling towel Idea and I am going to investigate it and perhaps purchase a couple.

We don't have ressies at DAK to get reserved seating for the Jungle book show, but we do have FP+ for it. Kind of excited to see it.

We check in 1 month from today.... So excited. I was hoping to get/build a Mickey Lamp, but time just gets away from me. Maybe have it for our November trip.

Peg, a Mickey lamp was on our list as well. But, like so many things, it slipped away. We did get to make a pretty big rope light Mickey that we'll hang from the front of the RV. I just hope the heavy duty suction cups I bought for it work as planned!

It is the best way to deal with the heat, we do plan the same way of finding indoor AC when we do not plan to be back at the campground for long. The cooling towels also are nice for me as they block the sun. I would suggest going to a store to check them out first, there are several types and I prefer the microfiber ones that stay soft even when dry. They do a good job and any sink or water fountain can recharge them.

We built a few mickey lamps already and of course I have one, the only change in the last year was an easier to use base that doesn't require me to drag a 55# bucket of cement around with me. It will be set up once we get there! The meal packages are a nice way to get people to come sit and eat. We where already talking about Tiffins when I saw that in my ADR searches so I decided we had to do that and try a new place. Getting really excited for the trip and doing lots of planning. Caren and I have been bouncing ideas around and she is working her magical planning for the whole trip. I told her she is better at that so I will provide input but she excels at it compared to me. So I know her plan will work and will leave me time to go take care of the pups through the days.

We are 29 days to departure (28 really as we plan to leave Thursday after work just to get south of the DC metro area and stop in Ashland, VA or just south of Richmond (depending on traffic of course.) Friday the game plan is to be on the road by 8am and shooting for Savannah KOA or if we can make it down to exit 1 (and if they have a pull through open) we will. While everyone would love to get to FW early, I told them I do not want to get there too early. I will have the dogs and while they can go up to the pool while I wait for our campsite to be ready, I would be stuck waiting in the truck with the pups. So I am just looking to get there no later then 2pm.

On both of our previous trips we stopped at Ashland, VA. First time we had the intent of going to the Wal-mart to stay, but there is an awesome truck stop right off the exit. We try to find an off to the side spot there so as not to really upset the truckers. The DW doesn't sleep well there though, the idling of the trucks keeps here restless... Me, I love it, it's like white noise. Since I am the driver, I get to decide!

Our next trip down (leaving the day after you on Friday after work) we are probably going to take the longer (distance-wise but equal/shorter time-wise) I81 to I77 to I95 route. We are going to try and get as close to NC as we can on the first night, but I personally have no issues boondocking for a night (I know others do) as I hate having to either pull over early when you reached a destination (i.e. a campground along the way) or trying to push through when you are behind (or worse yet, tired) to make it to a planned destination.

Not taking our Yellow lab with us. I'd like to but it's a lot of work. He gets very excited when traveling, but now he has RA. In his mind, he still has the energy, but his body just won't comply... It's sad, but he can go to Grandma's where his girlfriend is (Cocka-poo) and the yard is all fenced in so he has lots of running room too. So no "boarding" needed. (Yea!)

I just booked Bonnet Creek for our August Trip. Have not cancelled the Fort ressies yet, but found a seller willing to get me two nights in a one bedroom for 225 total... Only 10.00 more and better pools :) And not the work in August heat.

I do have all either morning or late evening FPs booked no dinners booked yet, but do have BOG lunch Saturday (11 am - 8/13)... Thinking Animal Kingdom Saturday night to see the new show. Sounds like we all have the same plans morning in and out by afternoon. Then back by evening. One thing that also made me make the switch is the lack of options on EMH. Really nothing was there and if so ones I could care less about. Other than maybe HS Friday night, if they are showing Star Wars Fireworks. But in all honestly evening MH there really kinda sucks, not like MK.

We really don't boondock, but in Ashland the campground there is not all that expensive. Personally I like having power and AC and its better then having windows open because idling trucks would be more then I want to deal with either. I just work on planning my drive time and finding options for stopping. That way I can run my trip and if I chose to push a little I will, if not I will stop earlier. But I always look for a few campgrounds and I have never had issues finding a spot to stop for the night. Our main drive day is Friday with arrival on Saturday and first day in the parks are Sunday. I thought about I81 to I77, Caren just had to deal with 2.5 hours of traffic on that route coming from Charlotte the Saturday July 9th. If we where leaving Friday morning I was going to take that route to avoid DC traffic. But if I can hit the road about 7-8pm on Thursday night then I have no issues heading to Ashland or south of Richmond before stopping for the evening.

We plan to take advantage of some EMH through the visit and the setup in the summer is no biggie for me. I am a pro at mixing indoor and outdoor activities to avoid becoming a ball of sweaty flesh once we get to our site at FW.

More progress yesterday. While shopping for the weekend I took the time to pick up the list of resupply items I needed for the RV for this trip. We also have our ADRs sorted, we where able to switch Tiffins on Thursday instead of Wednesday due to a schedule conflict. I started looking at my Good Sam's Club trip planner to plan out my stops south and back north. Right now we all agreed to hit the road on Thursday after work, my plan now is to head to Petersburg for the night. From there is 8 hours to Savannah or 10 hours to St. Mary's KOA. We will stop at one of the two for the night Friday depending on traffic and how I feel driving (and site availability.) From there it is only a few hours to FW and we expect to arrive around 1-2pm Saturday for check in!!!!

Our plan is simple for arrival, get the cart unloaded and get parked in the site and setup. Caren had a great idea (specially with the kids older and more familiar with the camper) to give everyone jobs to get us setup for the week there. I love that idea as it will help give me less to do!! Once we are setup I told her I need an hour or two to unwind from the drive. Then we are going to head off to Downtown for Dinner at Earl of Sandwich and do some checking out of all the changes there. After that it will be an early night for us and off to MK Sunday morning!!!

I still have lots of prep to do on the trailer, first and foremost is starting to wash it. Supposed to have some great weather early next week which that and the natural shade I get around where the RV is parked should have no issues getting her all washed up and waxed for the trip. I really wish Disney allowed the detailers on site, I would gladly pay them to do it. But I can't bring the trailer down to overflow due to the lack of AC for the dogs and spending extra to board them for a few hours is just not worth it. I know there are good reasons they no longer allow it, but man it was awesome to pay 250 and have the entire outside and roof washed and then the entire RV buffed. Its like 3x that cost up this way.

4 weeks today.... We depart. We will be leaving after work. I'd like to think it would be closer to 5PM but realistically, if we can get on the road by 7PM I will be ecstatic. (I can be off of work by 2 PM but my DW can't get out before about 4:30PM).

The plan is to pretty much have EVERYTHING packed the night before so all we need to do is come home, clean up:laundy:, maybe grab a bite to eat:cake:, hook up, load up and get on the road :car: (not necessarily in that order). So excited..... :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter