• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2017 Trip Notes

rmkfan1

Earning My Ears
A few notes from our August trip:

1. 7-year old's shooter wasn't working well on TSMM. Ride workers were very understanding and let him have another ride after a few minutes of waiting. Much appreciated since he was a little upset about the whole thing.

2. Got stuck twice in the waiting area (once post-design and once pre-design) for Test Track after the ride went down. Communication was not great either time. It happens, but still was disappointing (especially with once being just after the park opened).

3. Booked a Boardwalk garden/pool room and was given a room with a big tree blocking the view. I hit the front desk button on the phone and had a very not helpful lady tell me that it's a garden/pool view if that's the room they gave me. I asked to be routed to the actual room assignment person at the hotel and she was extremely helpful and found me a new room (she had room-by-room notes on views, and very clearly the room I was given originally was shown as "blocked" view). They should do better about calling those standard rooms if they know the view is blocked, but other than the short inconvenience I was happy with how it was resolved.

4. 'Ohana was good as always, but they were even stingier than I remember. Only had 4 wings (for 3 people) on the noodle course and never offered to bring more. Then for main course they brought out the hot towels after one serving of each meat...I asked for more and was given more, but I think it's a little sketchy to try to push people along without offering more first (certainly it's not as easy/generous as a place like Fogo de Chao). Not a big deal and still very much enjoyed it, but not a fan of the clear rush job they tried to pull and don't remember it being quite that way in the past.

5. As noted on a standalone post I did, FOP was a motion sickness disaster for me. Similar to Mission Space: Orange. Cool ride though, and my 9-year old loved it a lot.

6. Rode Everest in a rainstorm and loved it. So fun.

7. I see what people mean now about the side seats on Soarin'. Now I know what a bendy Eiffel Tower looks like! And curvy pyramids!

8. Other hits: Frontera Cocina, new family raft ride at Typhoon Lagoon, Boma, HEA fireworks, Disney technology (app worked great, magic bands worked great, self check-in worked great), the entertainers out on the Boardwalk and the lifeguards at the Boardwalk pool (extremely pleasant during a short-term shutdown to clean the pool...apparently someone had an accident). Also worth noting that everyone at the parks/pools seemed in good spirits...no notable issues of people cutting lines or acting like jerks...everyone just trying to have a good time and generally being respectful of others (lots of people leave towels on more pool chairs than they really need, but we were always able to find one for our stuff).

9. Other misses: Boat horns from the room at Poly, new Mission Space: Green (boring for us), long wait at AK for bus service, parking at Boardwalk (entire front lot was designated for valet even though only maybe 20% of it was being used when we were there), express monorail was either down or delayed when we tried to use it (twice).

Thanks for posting!

Question on Mission Space: Green. I see you mentioned it was boring, just wondering if it gave you any feeling of motion sickness? I've never done either side of this ride, but was considering the green for my trip in the fall. I know it's supposed to still have some feeling of movement, just wondering what kind of movement you feel.

Thanks!

parking at Boardwalk (entire front lot was designated for valet even though only maybe 20% of it was being used when we were there)

We went to the Boardwalk for lunch on August 14th and had to park in self-parking [no problem] but the valet lot had about 20 cars! So I feel your pain.

It's always interesting to read the perspective of those who were there at the same time as you! Some of our experiences were the same - like Test Track being down at opening the day we planned to rope drop it, and being seated on the side at Soarin' (I didn't know the Taj Mahal could *bend*?!) - but our experiences with 'Ohana and FoP were vastly different. 'Ohana gave us SO much food everyone was trying to pawn it off on each other - and then when one party member remarked at the waste they brought her a to-go box (?!). We were a mixed-generation party of 13, so maybe that's why. Almost the entire group rode FoP - even those with neck/back problems and motion sickness - and loved it. Including several who rode it despite our expressing concern. Incidentally, one party member and I got up early on our first day (after a late flight and before everyone else had arrived) and went right at rope drop - we had not eaten breakfast and had some mild queasiness. Time 2, evening with everyone else, no issues.

3. Booked a Boardwalk garden/pool room and was given a room with a big tree blocking the view. I hit the front desk button on the phone and had a very not helpful lady tell me that it's a garden/pool view if that's the room they gave me. I asked to be routed to the actual room assignment person at the hotel and she was extremely helpful and found me a new room (she had room-by-room notes on views, and very clearly the room I was given originally was shown as "blocked" view). They should do better about calling those standard rooms if they know the view is blocked, but other than the short inconvenience I was happy with how it was resolved.

What was your view if the tree wasn't there? What was your view of after they moved you? To be honest, I'd rather have a tree than look at the pool/hear the noise from it. Did you have a balcony? Sitting out on the balcony at BC, with nothing to see but trees, was one of my favorite parts of staying at BC. It's hard to find peace and quiet at WDW!

Boat horn at Poly? But I thought you stayed at Boardwalk? BTW, I'd expect to hear boat horns there - but I've grown up hearing boat horns my whole life, so they don't bother me. Also, sound travels quite nicely over water, so you'd hear horns all the way around the lake, any lake.

Thanks for posting!

Question on Mission Space: Green. I see you mentioned it was boring, just wondering if it gave you any feeling of motion sickness? I've never done either side of this ride, but was considering the green for my trip in the fall. I know it's supposed to still have some feeling of movement, just wondering what kind of movement you feel.

Thanks!
No motion sickness issues at all. It's smooth and easy. I suppose I'd compare the movement/smoothness to Soarin'...some gentle movement. I can see why they are allowing 40" kids to ride now.

It's always interesting to read the perspective of those who were there at the same time as you! Some of our experiences were the same - like Test Track being down at opening the day we planned to rope drop it, and being seated on the side at Soarin' (I didn't know the Taj Mahal could *bend*?!) - but our experiences with 'Ohana and FoP were vastly different. 'Ohana gave us SO much food everyone was trying to pawn it off on each other - and then when one party member remarked at the waste they brought her a to-go box (?!). We were a mixed-generation party of 13, so maybe that's why. Almost the entire group rode FoP - even those with neck/back problems and motion sickness - and loved it. Including several who rode it despite our expressing concern. Incidentally, one party member and I got up early on our first day (after a late flight and before everyone else had arrived) and went right at rope drop - we had not eaten breakfast and had some mild queasiness. Time 2, evening with everyone else, no issues.
That's encouraging about 'Ohana. Maybe just our server trying to turn the table since it was just me and two kids.

What was your view if the tree wasn't there? What was your view of after they moved you? To be honest, I'd rather have a tree than look at the pool/hear the noise from it. Did you have a balcony? Sitting out on the balcony at BC, with nothing to see but trees, was one of my favorite parts of staying at BC. It's hard to find peace and quiet at WDW!

Boat horn at Poly? But I thought you stayed at Boardwalk? BTW, I'd expect to hear boat horns there - but I've grown up hearing boat horns my whole life, so they don't bother me. Also, sound travels quite nicely over water, so you'd hear horns all the way around the lake, any lake.

After they moved us we had open lawn and the "river" and swan and dolphin. From the balcony we could see tower of terror. I think that would have been our view if the trees hadn't been there from the first room. Second room was at very end of hall which I know some would not prefer but it was fine with us. Very nice and quiet...and easy walk to main pool after going down the steps from fifth floor.

We actually stayed at four resorts (kids love to spend at least one night at the places with their favorite pools at Poly, BW and BC, and we also stayed at SS for a couple of nights). Our Poly room was in Moorea...lake facing (great fireworks views), but all the way at the end past bungalow 20, so the horns were closer (and therefore louder) than in our past stays. Didn't keep us from sleeping or anything, but light sleepers would hate it. I think I would not spend the points for a bungalow for risk of being over in 19 or 20.

That's encouraging about 'Ohana. Maybe just our server trying to turn the table since it was just me and two kids.

Maybe - we were 13 people spread over 3 tables, 2 were kids, 4 had allergies (one of whom was vegetarian) plus we had an additional vegetarian. It's possible they just knew we were there for the long haul :p

The funniest thing is that I apologized to the chef for being high maintenance (in addition to the numbers, one of our allergies is tricky) - his reply was something along the lines of, "Some parties are high maintenance. This doesn't even come close." I said to my companions that I'd hate to see those other parties! LOL!

A few notes from our August trip:

1. 7-year old's shooter wasn't working well on TSMM. Ride workers were very understanding and let him have another ride after a few minutes of waiting. Much appreciated since he was a little upset about the whole thing.

2. Got stuck twice in the waiting area (once post-design and once pre-design) for Test Track after the ride went down. Communication was not great either time. It happens, but still was disappointing (especially with once being just after the park opened).

4. 'Ohana was good as always, but they were even stingier than I remember. Only had 4 wings (for 3 people) on the noodle course and never offered to bring more. Then for main course they brought out the hot towels after one serving of each meat...I asked for more and was given more, but I think it's a little sketchy to try to push people along without offering more first (certainly it's not as easy/generous as a place like Fogo de Chao). Not a big deal and still very much enjoyed it, but not a fan of the clear rush job they tried to pull and don't remember it being quite that way in the past.

5. As noted on a standalone post I did, FOP was a motion sickness disaster for me. Similar to Mission Space: Orange. Cool ride though, and my 9-year old loved it a lot.

6. Rode Everest in a rainstorm and loved it. So fun.

7. I see what people mean now about the side seats on Soarin'. Now I know what a bendy Eiffel Tower looks like! And curvy pyramids!

8. Other hits: Frontera Cocina, new family raft ride at Typhoon Lagoon, Boma, HEA fireworks, Disney technology (app worked great, magic bands worked great, self check-in worked great), the entertainers out on the Boardwalk and the lifeguards at the Boardwalk pool (extremely pleasant during a short-term shutdown to clean the pool...apparently someone had an accident). Also worth noting that everyone at the parks/pools seemed in good spirits...no notable issues of people cutting lines or acting like jerks...everyone just trying to have a good time and generally being respectful of others (lots of people leave towels on more pool chairs than they really need, but we were always able to find one for our stuff).

9. Other misses: Boat horns from the room at Poly, new Mission Space: Green (boring for us), long wait at AK for bus service, parking at Boardwalk (entire front lot was designated for valet even though only maybe 20% of it was being used when we were there), express monorail was either down or delayed when we tried to use it (twice).

We just got back from the BWI/Poly stay. I am glad they moved your room at the BWI - a blocked view would bother us too - especially if you are paying for the extra view.

I see what you meant at Ohana - as they gave us the salad - they immediately brought the wings and noodles and the meats started. I was shocked at how fast they were moving. We were given a small amount of food at first then when we asked for more food and when they replaced it we were given a normal amount. The food was delicious as usual.

We had a long wait for all buses so we started using the MinnieVan service and we loved it.

Thanks for the mini review.

After they moved us we had open lawn and the "river" and swan and dolphin. From the balcony we could see tower of terror. I think that would have been our view if the trees hadn't been there from the first room. Second room was at very end of hall which I know some would not prefer but it was fine with us. Very nice and quiet...and easy walk to main pool after going down the steps from fifth floor.

We actually stayed at four resorts (kids love to spend at least one night at the places with their favorite pools at Poly, BW and BC, and we also stayed at SS for a couple of nights). Our Poly room was in Moorea...lake facing (great fireworks views), but all the way at the end past bungalow 20, so the horns were closer (and therefore louder) than in our past stays. Didn't keep us from sleeping or anything, but light sleepers would hate it. I think I would not spend the points for a bungalow for risk of being over in 19 or 20.

That was worth the move then! :)

Four resorts? That sounds exhausting! Or do you have bell services move your stuff? Do you unpack? Do the horns go on into the night,how early in the morning do they start up?

That was worth the move then! :)

Four resorts? That sounds exhausting! Or do you have bell services move your stuff? Do you unpack? Do the horns go on into the night,how early in the morning do they start up?
Yes - four is a little much in six nights. I like at least two nights per resort. But we pack light and just throw our stuff into the car the morning of check out. Text when room is ready is nice.

I think the horns went about an hour after MK closed and maybe an hour before MK opened (maybe around 7 or a little earlier).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter