August 2017 vs November 2017 - please help me decide.

abh413

Earning My Ears
I'm torn with when to book our trip for 2017. Our last trip (& only family trip) was in Nov 2014. And it was fabulous! The decorations, the weather & crowds (mostly) were wonderful!

We are looking at August 2017 (first or second week for 6 days) OR Nov 2017 (between the 5th & the 18th for 6 days only). Our schedules fit with August best but we are concerned about storms/hurricanes & the heat. We definitely enjoyed Nov especially the free dining that we got last time. I'm not sure if they will offer that again or not.

We are a Family of 4 with a 7 year old & a 5 year old. We don't nap & we are generally pretty hardcore in theme parks for a family with these ages. Of course, our pace is something our family enjoys.

What would you recommend? Pros/Cons?

I would do November if school isn't an issue and you don't mind Christmas decor.

August will have longer hours but it will be very hot. Crowd level is hard to predict but historically the first few weeks in Nov. see less crowds.

It will still be warm enough to swim in the day.

Last edited:

I would not go in August unless I had no other choice. Not sure if you're from a humid and hot climate, but it's extremely draining on even the most energetic people.

If I had a choice I would choose November - cooler temps and the decorations are great! Late August mostly just offers hot temps and crowds (in my opinion).

If you are worried about the heat, and aren't used to it, I would go for November. I went in August this past year, and again in December. While I made the best of August, I really felt like I could enjoy the parks and experience so much better with cooler weather. Not everyone is bothered by the heat to the same extent, but I have no idea how people can bake in that sun for an afternoon parade. We couldn't handle the parks at all from about 12-5.

I thought I was prepared for the heat, because we had had a hot summer in the Midwest, but it was still just so different there. Every day was totally sunny, and there was almost no rain (which was apparently unusual). There were upsides to going then, like the price, and visiting the water parks, but it really sucked the life out of us. Also, I had no appetite at all. It was too hot to eat! I guess that was an upside, that we spent way less than we were expecting on food!

We rushed through World Showcase because it was too hot for us to take time to enjoy the entertainment... which was a shame. There were lots of things we just didn't do because we just wanted to cool off.

It was fun in the evenings, with the parks open late, but it was still humid. Animal Kingdom was open until 11 p.m. when we were there, and that was super fun riding Kali River Rapids over and over because it felt good to be soaked. You don't dry off with the humidity, though!

We still had fun in August, but December was just a better overall experience for these weather wimps!

We go at the end of August every year and love it. The heat really doesn't bother me much and I actually really love that I know that I will never need anything other thank shorts/skirts and t's whether it's middle of the day or middle of the night. That being said, the crowds at end of August are quite moderate. I'm not sure heat + big crowds of early August would be as enjoyable, so for that reason, I would probably opt for November.

I'm torn with when to book our trip for 2017. Our last trip (& only family trip) was in Nov 2014. And it was fabulous! The decorations, the weather & crowds (mostly) were wonderful!

We are looking at August 2017 (first or second week for 6 days) OR Nov 2017 (between the 5th & the 18th for 6 days only). Our schedules fit with August best but we are concerned about storms/hurricanes & the heat. We definitely enjoyed Nov especially the free dining that we got last time. I'm not sure if they will offer that again or not.

We are a Family of 4 with a 7 year old & a 5 year old. We don't nap & we are generally pretty hardcore in theme parks for a family with these ages. Of course, our pace is something our family enjoys.

What would you recommend? Pros/Cons?

November easily.

Better weather, lower crowds

November for all the reasons cited by Nov. recommenders plus Food&Wine. Wifey can't hack the heat, no biggie to me but we both agree on Nov., we'll be at BW from 11-2 - 11-11.

Bill From PA

I personally like seeing the different seasons so if you've never seen summer that might be a nice change for the next trip but it'll be what I call sterile/pure disney as it's not really decorated at all. November will be mostly what you remember as far as look. both should have pandora opened so that'll be new at AK for you..

The heat and humidity is a very valid concern here. I've done it a lot (and now live in it) but you do change what you do, how fast you can do it and generally need to cut the day short (usually with a longer mid day rest from it). I have described august as soul sucking.. It just drains you and to a certain degree the excitement of what your doing is lower. Of course when the only disney trips you know are in this, it impacts you differently and you know what november is like so that will be a negative vs your previous trip if you do pick it.

Is going a tiny bit earlier possible? I love halloween around disney and that will be a change you havent' experienced. I think MNSSHP is a much better ticketed party than MVMCP and you'll never forget trick or treating in magic kingdom and walking out with bags of candy.

I would have to agree with everybody on here about the HEAT not the time to go through...I think by some of the posts that I have been watching Aug is slowing down for crowds. Yeah in Nov the temps would be about 10 degrees cooler but the hours are much shorter, plus your now in with the holiday things so the MK will be closing earlier due to the holidays, but if you want to experience that, then there is also that. Then again not everything will be totally turned over to Christmas either and you might hit the spot where the decorations are not fully up either. But for me the extra hours are worth a few buckets of sweat. You can plan for that in the clothes you take too.

We are going that week - if it wasn't for the heat in August, that would be my choice. Longer park hours, crowds have usually dispersed (many many schools start back the first week of August), rides running to capacity. That darn heat always gets me - I used to go in July/August as a kid and I'm a cold-weather gal, so I just can't take it.

The main thing about November - it's Jersey week during that particular time. There will also be Christmas parties, which is something I want to experience, but that means MK will be closing early three or four nights out of the week we're there.

It seems with younger kids November might be the better option. I think going in august is ok if you can plan rope drop at the parks and go back for later in the evening until closing. The evening might be tough with little ones who are probably used to being in bed by 8:30. Older kids i think can be more tolerant of the heat so my vote with your family make up it November.

Easily November.

Better weather, less crowded for the most part, Pandora will be open by then

November. Perfect weather, less crowds. Went November this past year and loved it!!! Only reason I would choose August is if you enjoy a lot of good pool time in the summer sun.

Another vote for November! We've done 2 August trips and 2 Nov trips, and Nov wins because of much better weather and the holiday decorations are up. We can't go in Nov now because we choose not to miss school for it.

In the minority.. Aug all the way... Low crowds trump everything else for us.. Also we can stand the heat

As a teacher, August (second half) is the time I usually pick to go for lower crowds, better rates (than July) and longer hours (than off seasons). But if I can visit at other times ... it will not be August!

I'm from Houston where triple-digit-temps are the norm. And my family still won't go to WDW in the Summer. It's not so much the we can't handle the heat (because we are used to it) but it leaves us feeling so much more tired than we want to be on vacation. We stay in the parks all day and so the heat, even by mid-May, wrecks havoc on our touring style.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter