August 2020 Reservations-still going?

I feel the same about regret. I’m usually a very “carpe diem” type, but if I did go and get sick, it would be a nightmare. My greater fear is catching the virus, being asymptomatic, and unknowingly infecting people. If I had to then explain where I’d contracted it, I don’t want to think about the judgement from others I’d receive. If I have to be that secretive about our plans, then maybe it’s not worth it. I still haven’t cancelled and have 5 days to make a final decision.
I have been thinking about this today.
I watch all the YouTube videos of the low crowds and no wait times. I want to go so bad! What a great opportunity to be there with crowds that low! We will never get that chance again.
Then I watch the news and see all the people in the hospital and some crying because they lost their loved ones to this evil virus.
I keep thinking what if one of us get it and die or we pass it on to our loved ones. My mom is 86, she is not going but what if we passed it onto her 😩 I would never forgive myself if our Disney trip was what caused the death of a family member or friend.
I just made reservations for November, but have not cancelled our August trip yet🙄
As you can tell I’m so undecided.

Oh my gosh! Exactly!! Imagine having to say you got Covid because you went to Disney World.
You would get ZERO empathy and a lot of muttering under their breath about how you deserve it.
Besides being upset I got it (or worse, got someone else sick and holy heck, what if they die???) I would be so humiliated.

I didn't even think of that aspect.
Probably makes a difference whether you are in a hot spot or not and/or if you are able to isolate at home or working. I've already gotten sick and recovered from it. So hoping I have immunity and if not, I don't exactly feel any safer staying where I live. If I hadn't gotten sick and was living somewhere remote where the virus isn't spreading rapidly, then yeah, it'd be a different risk calculus.

I have been thinking about this today.
I watch all the YouTube videos of the low crowds and no wait times. I want to go so bad! What a great opportunity to be there with crowds that low! We will never get that chance again.
Then I watch the news and see all the people in the hospital and some crying because they lost their loved ones to this evil virus.
I keep thinking what if one of us get it and die or we pass it on to our loved ones. My mom is 86, she is not going but what if we passed it onto her 😩 I would never forgive myself if our Disney trip was what caused the death of a family member or friend.
I just made reservations for November, but have not cancelled our August trip yet🙄
As you can tell I’m so undecided.

The lines at Hollywood didn’t look short today. Some rides were 90 min wait.

I canceled my trip in August. We waited until the last minute but I knew weeks ago that I wasn’t going to go.

The risk is still there and Disney Magic can’t erase that risk. They are working really hard to keep it low but you basically have to trust the thousands of people in the parks/resorts to all stick to the same measures. I have already seen reports of people not keeping the distance, snacking in line, not wearing the mask when walking around the restaurant to get to the bathroom and taking the mask down during the dark rides.
But then again I can understand the families that say Disney is at least safer than sending my kids to school and they will have to in a few weeks with probably 1/8 of those same safety measures.

It is a shame what is happening... if everyone just used a mask in ALL public spaces and they were strict on large gatherings then we wouldn’t be in such a dire situation

We're canceling our August trip. Way too much on the line to visit right now. We'll look forward to a big trip in 2022.

Did you get everything booked? I hope so and have a magical trip. We had 2 trips cancelled as well.

I do also hope you are able to reschedule your trip and make the memories with your family that you were hoping to make this fall. I think that we all are under tremendous stress and want things to go back to “normal”.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping to do our annual August trip but decided to postpone. However our school district decided on virtual learning until late fall. If things start looking better between Oct and Nov we made come down during school week and let her do school work during day and go out to parks afterwards. But who knows at this point, it's a day by day situation.

This thread is to share if you are still coming in August
NOT
to judge, give out numbers, statistics on the virus. All those posts will be deleted and warning points given to repeat offenders
There are covid threads in the community board
And if posters that don't want threads closed because of them getting off topic could just report the off topic post and NOT reply to them that would be great. Cause all of the replies on an off topic post have to be deleted as well

Finally pulled the trigger and cancelled our trip in August. I just realized if I’m spending the money, I’d rather it be without worry or regret (or blazing heat). We also cancelled our APs since we won’t be able to make it back before they expire. It was certainly bittersweet, but I’m at peace with my decision. We may try for a holiday Disney trip this year if things have calmed down a little bit by then.

This thread is to share if you are still coming in August
NOT
to judge, give out numbers, statistics on the virus. All those posts will be deleted and warning points given to repeat offenders
There are covid threads in the community board
And if posters that don't want threads closed because of them getting off topic could just report the off topic post and NOT reply to them that would be great. Cause all of the replies on an off topic post have to be deleted as well

Thank you. Navigating through the endless, judgmental BS (often from the same posters) can be a challenge when trying to get useful info from these threads.

For some reason, I'm still holding out hopes that we can go. I am a bit nervous, but we would use caution, but I really don't want to be judged by anyone if we do get to go. I have flights, hotel, APs with park passes for all our days and everything is all paid for. If we cancel, I lose APs and would be no hope rescheduling. I really wish things would get better down there with the numbers.

We canceled our July 11-16 trip, but it was a little easier to do emotionally because we also had an August 15-20 trip booked! We have not canceled August yet, we want a chance to see how park operations are going and will continue to watch how the COVID numbers trend in FL. Our original resort, BWI, is and will be closed, so we moved to the Poly at a great rate thanks to the "rate protection" or whatever they were calling it a few weeks ago. That deal alone is motivating us to go ahead. It will be a last-hour decision for us because we will drive and don't have to worry about canceling a plane ticket.

I waited until after the reopening so we could watch streamers video their day at the parks. After watching 4 different videos, we decided to cancel our trip. We had a couple of major issues with some of the stuff we saw. Where unlike US, Disney does not make customers use sanitizer right before going on the rides, they leave it up to the customer:( Also, I saw many times where they rides did not get wiped down consistently in between riders, Avatar etc. Yes, like others, we were looking at the lack of crowds and lines and almost talked ourselves into not cancelling, but in the end we decided a vacation is not worth even a 1% chance that one of us could get infected, so we decided to cancel our trip:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter