August 2020 Reservations-still going?

We have reservations for mid August. I'm actually more nervous with driving through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia to get to Florida (and Disney.) We would stay in South Carolina overnight (both ways.) South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida are still states that don't have a mask mandate. I know in Florida there are counties that do require it. For those who have done this drive recently, how was it? If you stayed overnight, did you feel safe? What about the restaurants? We would get drive thru takeout the whole way. Not looking to debate masks, just advice.
We are also going down mid August and will be staying in Georgia (down) and South Carolina (back). We’re staying in Hilton branded hotels both ways since they have digital keys. If you have the Hilton app you can check in and open your door with your phone no need to stop at the front desk. Aside from the hotel and stopping to get gas and bathroom breaks we don’t plan on getting out of the car until we reach Disney.

I hear people traveling from NY and NJ saying they don’t have a problem going but I haven’t heard too many people comment on if they plan to quarantine when they get back from Florida.

Does no one plan to quarantine or does everyone have employers who are cool with 3 week vacations?

I hear people traveling from NY and NJ saying they don’t have a problem going but I haven’t heard too many people comment on if they plan to quarantine when they get back from Florida.

Does no one plan to quarantine or does everyone have employers who are cool with 3 week vacations?

My guess is that a lot of people are still/continuing to work from home so it won't be an issue.

My husband has been working from home since March with no end in sight. I'm not employed at the moment so no problem with quarantining here. I like to think it goes without saying that people are quarantining upon return.

We are both still WFH for the indefinite future, so we won't have an issue with work and the kids start school (if they go back in person) 3 weeks after our return. I plan to do a big grocery run when I get back at an off peak time and be very careful but otherwise we should be able to do the quarantine with relative ease. Our quarantine is only recommended but not required in PA.

Interestingly, my oldest son needs to get a physical for fall sports and when I called to set up the appointment they offered me one 12 days post trip. I let the dr office know that we were travelling to WDW and that date would be at the tail end of our quarantine period and she said it wouldn't be a problem to make that appointment and to just call to reschedule if he would have any symptoms once we get back. This is with one of the leading pediatrician groups in our county that is attached to the multi-county health system in our area. I just found that interesting that they weren't concerned about him coming in for that appointment.

Looks like I'm out. Was still going to come down from MA for 8/22-8/30 got moved to Poly (my daughter's dream hotel) but the news today pretty much ends it for us.

Wishing all the best to everyone who is going!

Now I move on to the battle of getting AP refunds...

I don't feel comfortable going into work yet where they aren't mandating masks or temp checks, so we canceled our trip for Aug 28th.
We did extend for a couple days in Nov to make up for it. Even though Disney seems to have a great handle on it, I just felt better canceling.

We are one week away from our WDW/Sarasota/UO trip (rescheduled from an April trip) and I can't wait. I live in SC (specifically Charleston which is the hottest hot spot in the state), so I'm used to having to take my own precautions, recognize unsafe situations, etc. At this point, we just need a break. We got engaged in February and never really got to enjoy it before the COVID hit the fan. My fiancee is a personal trainer and was nearly out of work for quite a while. Meanwhile in the midst of all this my dog has had to have two major surgeries (she's doing better now at least)! Our mental bandwidth is maxed out. I know it won't be the same but it'll still be better than nothing ha. I'm a former CM and long time Disney lover and for me, Disney is like eating comfort food or slipping on a warm blanket, and man do we need that right now.

We have reservations for mid August. I'm actually more nervous with driving through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia to get to Florida (and Disney.) We would stay in South Carolina overnight (both ways.) South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida are still states that don't have a mask mandate. I know in Florida there are counties that do require it. For those who have done this drive recently, how was it? If you stayed overnight, did you feel safe? What about the restaurants? We would get drive thru takeout the whole way. Not looking to debate masks, just advice.
We are also going down mid August and will be staying in Georgia (down) and South Carolina (back). We’re staying in Hilton branded hotels both ways since they have digital keys. If you have the Hilton app you can check in and open your door with your phone no need to stop at the front desk. Aside from the hotel and stopping to get gas and bathroom breaks we don’t plan on getting out of the car until we reach Disney.

As a regular Hilton-brand customer, myself, I was going to suggest this exact thing. Book a Hampton Inn right off the interstate. Do the online check-in the day before -- you can even select your room on your computer or the app -- and then when the room is ready you can just pull up the digital key on your phone and go right to your room. If you're just looking for a place to crash for the night (which is obviously your situation), this will work out fine. The digital key even opens the locked outside doors, so you can go in a side or back door with it, too, if you want to avoid the main entrance altogether. That being said, most hotels are fairly empty nowadays so I suspect you won't have an issue, but it doesn't hurt to know what you're getting into, take every precaution available, and keep your options open.

If we get to go we will be quarantining when we get back. I work from home and will have groceries delivered for the 2 weeks after we get back.

Looks like I'm out. Was still going to come down from MA for 8/22-8/30 got moved to Poly (my daughter's dream hotel) but the news today pretty much ends it for us.

Wishing all the best to everyone who is going!

Now I move on to the battle of getting AP refunds...

What news if I may ask?

Welp my admission is invalid no matter how hard I tried to link my AP, EVEN if it's expired on Sept 7th. They can take their reservation system and their ROTR BG and shove them down the Death Star Exhaust port.

Welp my admission is invalid no matter how hard I tried to link my AP, EVEN if it's expired on Sept 7th. They can take their reservation system and their ROTR BG and shove them down the Death Star Exhaust port.

That's a little off topic here but call the passholder support and see if they can fix it for you. 407-929-7277

I’m so on the fence. I really would love to go but I’m still nervous about the numbers in Florida. I was hoping they would be starting to go down by now.

Do you think the travel ban will be lifted by Desantis by then or are you from upstate NY? We have a trip about those same dates but are in the tri-state area.
Hi! We are from Western NY, near Buffalo...I doubt the ban is lifted by the time we leave. I have a great uncle in Sarasota we can stay with first if need be. It's confusing b/c tri state area by definition isn't Western NY but we are always lumped in with it.

I work from home anyway and my kids don't start school until after Labor Day so it's not an issue for us.

We are coming from western ny and do the drive in 2.5 days since it's just me and 3 kids this trip and not my husband to help with the driving. We are stopping in Morgantown, WV and Port Wentworth, GA. We are also planning on drive thru food and just gas/bathroom stops. I think we should be fine!

One thing I’ve learned after a few road trips this summer - rest stops and packing our own food/drink have been the way to go for us. Gas stations, truck stops, food places, etc are often small, crowded and pretty much no mask zones in our travels, so we’ve been avoiding them. Most rest stops have relatively open/airy bathrooms and it’s a quick in/out, so even if it is mixed with masks it’s less time in an enclosed space. When we stop for gas it has almost always been gas only and we’ll hit a restroom at the next rest stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter