• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2020 Trip Reports

I'm hoping that's only because they are going to bring in NEW resort specific merchandise. I'm not into the generic Disney Resorts or Parks. I really like being able to get something that you can only buy AT the location. Like the old days.....

like-button_zpsqwskppeg.jpg

Just remembered something else I wanted to share. If you are paying at sit down restaurants with you magic band, they won’t scan your magic band. You’ll have to read them the code off the back of it. Might be good to keep that number as a note in your phone. For places where you tap your hand to pay, some places have you enter your PIN and some don’t.

And one more thing, I went to Home Depot today. I felt much safer at Disney World than Home Depot.

Just remembered something else I wanted to share. If you are paying at sit down restaurants with you magic band, they won’t scan your magic band. You’ll have to read them the code off the back of it. Might be good to keep that number as a note in your phone. For places where you tap your hand to pay, some places have you enter your PIN and some don’t.
Our experience was different? Our bands were scanned at Kidani Pool Bar; Sanaa; Wine Bar George; and Raglan Road...

I just remembered something else too.

During the 8 days we were at the Fort, we saw 1 squirrel and it was crossing the road near the dog park. I didn't see a single squirrel in the 500 loop. There was also a thread on one of the Facebook groups where someone else also mentioned the absence of squirrels. It was really odd, not sure if the absence of people caused them to move to other areas where food was more readily available or if something else is responsible for their absence.

During the 8 days we were at the Fort, we saw 1 squirrel and it was crossing the road near the dog park. I didn't see a single squirrel in the 500 loop. There was also a thread on one of the Facebook groups where someone else also mentioned the absence of squirrels. It was really odd, not sure if the absence of people caused them to move to other areas where food was more readily available or if something else is responsible for their absence.

So I am actually a biologist - and this is really interesting, there are a TON of studies going on about changes in wildlife behaviors during the lockdown. I'm sending this observation to a friend of mine at UCF- maybe they can do a WDW study since it was truly on lockdown. My guess is that the animals are habituated to getting food from humans and have moved on to a location where they can get more. We know that some animals are so habituated to this that they can actually die if they lack human food- hopefully that is not what is happening!

During the 8 days we were at the Fort, we saw 1 squirrel and it was crossing the road near the dog park. I didn't see a single squirrel in the 500 loop.
I saw this on The Hub right after the shutdown. Apparently half were furloughed (they are still waiting for their CARES checks). 40% were reassigned to trees outside the Fort for additional training. Tiggerdad has been busy with this. That only leaves about 10% to man the Fort.

:lmao:

j

So I am actually a biologist - and this is really interesting, there are a TON of studies going on about changes in wildlife behaviors during the lockdown. I'm sending this observation to a friend of mine at UCF- maybe they can do a WDW study since it was truly on lockdown. My guess is that the animals are habituated to getting food from humans and have moved on to a location where they can get more. We know that some animals are so habituated to this that they can actually die if they lack human food- hopefully that is not what is happening!

I really hope they didn't die, but that thought did cross my mind.

The deer and turkeys were there in abundance, saw cardinals too. One morning I saw a deer standing in site 1439, it just watched me and the dogs until we got up to the entrance of the site and then it turned and went off into the woods behind the site. There were some deer who had no problem hanging out right beside the dog park too, even when people and dogs were present.
I also saw reports of a juvenile owl spotted in 300 loop, sometimes hunting, other times just sitting on a site marker.

nY98xDg.gif

Tough times on the boys. Had to relocate several colonies to neighboring residential areas. The pine trees and oaks couldn't supply enough.

A few groups resorted to trapping gators which has caused much uproar, especially among the other predators. Namely the hawks.

In process of working out contract negotiations right now. They are hard to deal with. Difficult to keep them focused for very long.

415508462993105.gif

That's the sound of summer to me. :music:
Boy, do we have differing views on what summer sounds like...I'm more of a pop-top opening on my beer can, outboard motors pulling the kids water skiing, and the Umpire screaming "play ball" after standing for the National Anthem kind a' guy... ⚾

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter