• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2021: Florida has more new Covid cases than ever before

I am likely to cancel my trip scheduled for September 4-12 (rescheduled from the same week last year). I've held off for as long as I can and was hopeful in July that we'd be able to go but now with the numbers the way they are, I'm not just confident anymore and am super stressed out about the whole thing (worried about testing positive on the way back and not being able to get on the plane).

I guess I would reschedule for September 2022 but its certainly annoying me that I'll have to pay for the price difference in my tickets (they expire as of September 26, 2021) and while I can get an Air Canada voucher for my flights, I assume I'll have to pay more for the flights as well.

My main concern right now is convincing my travel partner (sister lol) that it's best to reschedule. She's been looking forward to this for so long. She's been counting down the days. :(

I am likely to cancel my trip scheduled for September 4-12 (rescheduled from the same week last year). I've held off for as long as I can and was hopeful in July that we'd be able to go but now with the numbers the way they are, I'm not just confident anymore and am super stressed out about the whole thing (worried about testing positive on the way back and not being able to get on the plane).

I guess I would reschedule for September 2022 but its certainly annoying me that I'll have to pay for the price difference in my tickets (they expire as of September 26, 2021) and while I can get an Air Canada voucher for my flights, I assume I'll have to pay more for the flights as well.

My main concern right now is convincing my travel partner (sister lol) that it's best to reschedule. She's been looking forward to this for so long. She's been counting down the days. :(
This is definitely a personal decision. Each and everyone on this board will have their views as to what things will be like in early September. The optimist in me would likely wait another week... just to be certain that things are not somehow improving - but there is no point in going down to the most magical place on earth if this is going to result in a stressful "what if" kind of trip. One thing is that the parks themselves might be less crowded than what you are seeing right now with most kids in North America being back to school as of the 7th.

We have a trip planned for Oct 2-12 so I've been looking at the modelling in Florida for the current wave. It looks like the peak is expected to come in mid September and they should expect to reach herd immunity by mid October with infections+vaccinations.
I don't understand why Florida doesn't see the connection to India. The delta variant is spreading and it will overwhelm the health system unless aid is provided by surrounding areas. They need to do more to get people vaccinated although at this point it is probably too late.
I haven't made a decision yet but, if the pattern follows into September, we will likely cancel our trip. We are young and vaccinated but even if I trip and break my ankle I would be nervous of the care I would get. Disney isn't going anywhere and we would rather not travel into the middle of a disaster zone.

We were supposed to leave next weekend and kind of felt the same way, and to my surprise it was actually our 12 yo that came to me and said (he didn’t know we booked for sure just knew we were looking at it) that he’d rather not go to Florida right now. I didn’t tell him anything but they keep making the news :(
He’s a Disney world fanatic, has been begging us to go for months.
From that point on I just lost any remaining hope for this trip to happen.
I briefly looked at going to Mexico or somewhere AI but on a whim checked Disneyland.
The price was ok, we managed to get non stop flights from Toronto and so now we leave for California on the 17th! Assuming nothing changes, but so far California is not climbing like Florida, Texas and several other states. Of course nothing is without risk but I feel a lot better.
Maybe you can look into Disneyland too?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter