• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

August 2021! Will the US let us in???

Mdktf

You gotta love Mickey waffles!
My predicament is this. I’ve booked a 4 day Disney UK cruise, which needs paying in full in the next couple of days. I have also booked a 3 week dvc stay (which also coincides with the cruise dates) as need to use our points. I’ve had 2 flights cancelled in July so moved the stay to August. BA are still allowing bookings of flights in August. I booked the cruise as a back up for a Disney fix knowing I could cancel closer to the time. My prediction months ago that Disney would drop masks by the summer was correct so I was hopeful they’re would rip the travel ban.

So do I book the flights and cancel the cruise? If the US don’t allow us in Ive lost the cruise (which is approx same cost as flights for 3?!).

The amber list doesn’t bother me as we have time to isolate if need be after. I just want a crystal ball to say if the US will open up to the UK for August!

Hi, Although I would love to go back to the US, I think August is highly unlikely at this time unfortunately. The US appears in no hurry to open up its borders ( maybe to try to get to 70% vaccination rate but seems to be stalling) and with the UK rate increasing. September is more likely IMHO.

Highly unlikely, I've been watching the situation very closely, as soon as we are allowed I'm on a plane to California and Disneyland. I would say stick with the UK staycation cruise, as I very much doubt that travel to USA will be allowed in August. Just a bit of other info. I fly Aer Lingus Dublin to LAX every year. Aer Lingus have cancelled all LAX and Orlando flights until October. Im hoping to travel to California in November, but at this stage my expectations are low.

Hi, Although I would love to go back to the US, I think August is highly unlikely at this time unfortunately. The US appears in no hurry to open up its borders ( maybe to try to get to 70% vaccination rate but seems to be stalling) and with the UK rate increasing. September is more likely IMHO.
I hesitantly agree, gutted.

Highly unlikely, I've been watching the situation very closely, as soon as we are allowed I'm on a plane to California and Disneyland. I would say stick with the UK staycation cruise, as I very much doubt that travel to USA will be allowed in August. Just a bit of other info. I fly Aer Lingus Dublin to LAX every year. Aer Lingus have cancelled all LAX and Orlando flights until October. Im hoping to travel to California in November, but at this stage my expectations are low.
I had Aer Lingus and Virgin cancelled but BA are still selling?!

I had Aer Lingus and Virgin cancelled but BA are still selling?!

Apparently so - at least when our neighbors recently checked. The lady across the road from us flew out to the UK last week. She had one heck of a time trying to find flights and couldn't fly out of Orlando as there were no flights available when she tried to book them. They eventually had to book a flight from Miami and drive down there and then she couldn't get anything into a London airport so she had to fly to Manchester. And then do the quarantine required (not sure how long that is for at this time).

There are definitely flights going transatlantic but the routes and airports seem to be slim pickings at the moment.

Apparently so - at least when our neighbors recently checked. The lady across the road from us flew out to the UK last week. She had one heck of a time trying to find flights and couldn't fly out of Orlando as there were no flights available when she tried to book them. They eventually had to book a flight from Miami and drive down there and then she couldn't get anything into a London airport so she had to fly to Manchester. And then do the quarantine required (not sure how long that is for at this time).

There are definitely flights going transatlantic but the routes and airports seem to be slim pickings at the moment.

the problem is from UK to US. The UK isn’t bothered, anyone can get in. The issue is us getting to the US, I don’t think we would be allowed out of the airport even if we get there!

the problem is from UK to US. The UK isn’t bothered, anyone can get in. The issue is us getting to the US, I don’t think we would be allowed out of the airport even if we get there!

Thanks. We hadn't really looked at the option of going that side until now because like all you guys, we've been waiting for the borders to open on this side to UK/EU travel. There's still the quarantine issue though and that's difficult for us as my husband can't afford to just close up shop with his business for an extra 2 weeks or whatever the current quarantine time is. I know that they are insisting on that over there. Sigh. Just a frustrating thing all round I guess.

At the moment, with the proclamation, you wont even get to check in. We need an ESTA for tourist travel to USA. If you have a valid ESTA and attempt to check in for a USA flight, your ESTA will be cancelled. The ESTA system and the airline check in systems are linked. Without a valid ESTA you can not enter USA as a tourist.

Thanks. We hadn't really looked at the option of going that side until now because like all you guys, we've been waiting for the borders to open on this side to UK/EU travel. There's still the quarantine issue though and that's difficult for us as my husband can't afford to just close up shop with his business for an extra 2 weeks or whatever the current quarantine time is. I know that they are insisting on that over there. Sigh. Just a frustrating thing all round I guess.
I can’t see how they would police the quarantine 🤷‍♂️

There's still the quarantine issue though
I know that they are insisting on that over there. Sigh.
They are talking about removing the (re)entering the UK quarantine requirement for people who are fully vaccinated. It's being worked on apparently and I've no idea if it would apply to foreign nationals ... but watch this space as they say :)

The current state of our infections doubling every few days, im going to say no.

These are the reasons we have cancelled our Aug 2021 trip to Aug 2022

1. Uncertainties on entry requirements
2. Risk of testing positive or isolating close to travel
3. Cost of good insurance is insane
4. US still arguing whether AZ vaccine can be recognised
5. WDW capacity is low and unlikely to increase significantly until 1st Oct, meaning park hopping limited
6. No fastpasses, queues long and many outside in heat
7. Many favourite restaurants shut (Jiko/Flying Fish etc...)
8. Flights been cancelled twice, we could still book but what is the point?
9. Son just had first vaccine this week
10. Tickets and accommodation are easy to move to 2022

i think I could on and on but you get the picture....
😞

Yes but hospitalisation and deaths low

In the UK yes however there is little reason for the USA to risk letting such a high proportion of infections in when such a large proportion of their country remains unvaccinated especially after they've seen what the delta variant has done to the UK in terms of delaying our own ending of restrictions - I would love so much to be wrong I just dont see this situation changing for a little while longer yet 😢

Yes but hospitalisation and deaths low

They wont care. No way would they let in a high risk country with a growing number of infections. The risk vs reward of allowing a bunch of us in right now is a no brainer. There is even talk they wont allow Astra vaccinated in...... Unless we see a sudden drop in our rates which considering we are going to ditch every restriction in a months time is highly unlikely we are still going to be banned for a while yet.

I hate to say it but I'm not even convinced 2022 is a given at this stage
I agree. If they haven't opened (or announced a date) by the time I have to cancel my October trip I will forgo my £50 deposit and look for anywhere (warm and sunny) to get a holiday this year.
I'll then likely try to do some of the other Disneys around the world that I haven't yet and WDW will have to wait till 23/24 if I'm still alive. (At least the Magic Kingdom railroad might have reopened by then :) )

At the moment, with the proclamation, you wont even get to check in. We need an ESTA for tourist travel to USA. If you have a valid ESTA and attempt to check in for a USA flight, your ESTA will be cancelled. The ESTA system and the airline check in systems are linked. Without a valid ESTA you can not enter USA as a tourist.

Where did you get this info from? There are people who still can travel to the USA under the proclamation (certain family members of citizens) who would need an ESTA. So if checking in cancels the ESTA, how would these people travel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter