August 2022 W.I.S.H. - Accountable August

Summer2018

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the August 2022 W.I.S.H. (We are inspired To Stay Healthy) thread: Let’s be more accountable to each other in August and make some real progress!

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY
TOPIC TUESDAY
WOOHOO WEDNESDAY
THANKFUL THURSDAY
FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY
SOCIAL SATURDAY
SELF-CARE SUNDAY

8/1/22 - 8/7/22: ShannyMcB 🦩
8/8/22 - 8/14/22: Summer 🦩
8/15/22 - 8/21/22: Oneanne 🦩
8/22/22 - 8/28/22:

8/29/22 - 9/4/22:

3A8A1FAB-A806-4617-9461-E9BBF473C07C.jpeg

Last edited:
What is motivating  YOU this week?

Me? It's getting ready for vaca! With all that's been going on (gestures vaguely) I am looking forward to some downtime and bubble living. And I intend on keeping moving during our time so I am getting moving now so I don't get too winded and tired...OK I'm sure I will get tired but hopefully not too winded.

In some good news we got some rain over the last 48 hours. Not a ton but every little bit helps right now.

I’m motivated to change my focus from vacationing to becoming more accountable in my weight loss efforts. I was very active on vacation, but I definitely overindulged. It was fun and I regret nothing, but now I need to get back to concentrating on my health and well-being.

I found it hard the two weeks before vacation to focus on weight loss because I have been living in chaos due to the renovation. I struggle to sleep on the couch; constant interruptions have kept me out of the pool and off the treadmill; troubleshooting problems and living amongst construction clutter has stressed me out; and no routine because I must be available to contractor has driven me nuts. Fortunately they are supposed to finish this week. I plan on getting organized again and getting back into my summer routine and eventually into my school routine by week 3 of August.

My favorite time of year is slipping away, and I must make the most of it now.

Welcome to the August 2022 W.I.S.H. (We are inspired To Stay Healthy) thread: Let’s be more accountable to each other in August and make some real progress!

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers. So, hop aboard and post your personal goals.

We have weekly volunteer hosts and typically follow a Monday-Sunday format:

MOTIVATION MONDAY
TOPIC TUESDAY
WOOHOO WEDNESDAY
THANKFUL THURSDAY
FREE FOR ALL FRIDAY
SOCIAL SATURDAY
SELF-CARE SUNDAY

8/1/22 - 8/7/22: ShannyMcB 🦩
8/8/22 - 8/14/22: Summer 🦩
8/15/22 - 8/21/22:
8/22/22 - 8/28/22:

8/29/22 - 9/4/22:

View attachment 689894
I can take the week of 8.15.

I'm also feeling like summer is slipping away from me and need to make the most out of August. Thankfully the temps have broken and we are going back to the mid-70s, which is perfection, so no excuse to not get out side.

I kicked off the week/month by finally mowing the dandelions in the front yard down, it looks so much better now and I'm sure my neighbors are happy about it. And I got all my chores done and am almost ready to head out to Port Townsend in the morning, for my over-night.

My primary goal for August is to be serious about doing my best at getting healthy. I'm going to sign up in the other thread for exercise minutes again, because that really helped in July. And the sugar has got to go.

topic Tuesday
We all know how important sleep is. But what happens when you can't get back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night? How do you get your much needed shut eye when your brain (or the outside world) says nah

I like to put a book on Audible and be read to sleep like a little kid. 😴

It has a sleep timer, and I choose a familiar book, so it doesn't matter that I will fall asleep before it shuts off.

My extra tip is: Did you know you can slow down the reading speed in the app?

3081427D-9012-4CE1-8B75-390DCCE86DD2.jpeg
Click ⬆️ here. Then this screen pops up:

3F60B581-ACDF-4935-BCE0-0B4B9F78D8FE.jpeg

So far, I find I like it at .8 to fall asleep. But experiment with your own preferences. (You can speed it up too - I've thought about trying that for walking.)

topic Tuesday
We all know how important sleep is. But what happens when you can't get back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night? How do you get your much needed shut eye when your brain (or the outside world) says nah
This is such a great topic since sleep is so integral to our well-being. I've struggled with the inability to sleep through the night for the last 25 years since I was pregnant. Having a hysterectomy in my 40's and going through menopause without the assistance of estrogen or any natural supplements due to health risks made sleep an almost impossible thing for me. I have since adapted and wake up multiple times a night to use the bathroom and usually am able to fall back to sleep. Amazingly I have continued that while sleeping on the couch since the renovations began and have only had a handful of difficult nights sleeping, one of which was during vacation in our non-air conditioned rooms that rely heavily on ocean breezes to cool the rooms. Cape Cod was a part of the heatwave we have been experiencing in Connecticut and our first day there temps got as high as 93 degrees which is unheard of.

Warning: Rant...
My biggest concern is gearing up to go back to school. I always experience a great deal of anxiety the night before teachers start and then again the night before kids start. The first days/weeks are such a challenge and my mind is swimming in concerns about EVERYTHING I HAVE TO DO AND ALL OF THE OBSTACLES TO GETTING THOSE THINGS DONE. Nothing ever goes smoothly. Copy machines don't work. The air conditioner doesn't work and my classroom is usually between 75-80 degrees. Teachers get thrown all of these last minute curve balls. Everyone needs something from the teachers. The list of priorities gets longer and longer. Student behaviors can be outrageous in the beginning until they learn that I am a "warm demander" who will be fun and loving but also won't stand for nonsense, so don't push me. Administration will say things like, "We know that your mind is on setting up your classroom and getting organized, but we will give you an hour at the end of the day if you focus right now," as if one hour is enough to do anything. Sitting through these mostly useless workshops that waste precious time is THE MOST ANNOYING THING. Not being able to get in our classrooms the week before school starts because "our building is used for so many things over the summer, cleaning got started late, so sorry...but we will give you an hour at the end of the day." AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

So, yeah, I have trouble sleeping before school starts...

I'm up for suggestions.

My biggest challenge with sleep is slowing down my brain. It will loop all night long, replaying the same things over and over. At least this happens at night, I have no problem with day time naps when I can sleep out of body heavy.

I’ve taken different things over the years. For quite a while I used 5HTP to good result, then it stopped helping. Same with melatonin. Right now I taking one CBD gummie and that is effective enough. When I do wake up during the night I can usually go right back to sleep but if not I focus on my breathing.

So, my vacation within a vacation is starting off with a rip roaring thud. They are down to one ferry and the guy at the booth said it’ll probably be a two hour wait… after already waiting 45 min. Being as it’s vacation I really don’t care, I’ve got a book and my knitting and I’m down by the water. And it is nice and cool this morning.

I'm back from vacation and the motivation is to return to my normal schedule. I go back to work tomorrow :-)sad:). Today will be laundry and grocery shopping.

I had planned my normal work breakfast today, but due to not getting home until 3:30 AM (thank you late plane and massive Orlando thunderstorm) I am having a bagel and some tea. Going on under five hours of sleep means I need some caffeine!

When I can't sleep it's usually pain related. I get up, pop some ibuprofen and either watch something stupid on TV or play solitaire on the ipad. When it's not pain related, I try really hard to practice some mindfulness--yup, that's a thought, let's push it aside and take a few breaths. I have a girlfriend with major sleep problems--she eventually wound up working with a sleep psychologist (apparently they exist!) and that helped her tremendously.

topic Tuesday
I don’t know why but if I lay on my back with my left hand on my belly and my right hand on my heart and tell myself-you don’t need to sleep just relax and rest-I fall right asleep!!

I learned that pose from yoga and I think if I take the pressure off myself for falling asleep it just relaxes me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter