August Solo Trip - Food and Wine and Heat

GreatGoofini

Earning My Ears
I have the possibility of a first time solo trip but the dates must be early August. My plan would be to go to each park in the morning, head back to the hotel (Pop) as needed and go to Epcot in the evenings. Maybe a day for Disney Springs and resort touring.

I was at Disney last year with the full family and did the go go go thing hitting every ride, activity, etc. This solo trip would be to leisurely wander around, soak up the atmosphere, relive memories and maybe stop for a drink at every lounge, kiosk or bar I can find. I’ve been wanting to go to the Food and Wine festival forever so the early start this year also let’s me take in this event.

So, my question or hesitation in pulling the trigger is the heat and crowds. Is it realistic to think I will be able to find indoor seating for a drink at places like Nomad lounge, Cava Tequila, etc during the August heat or do the air conditioned places get lineups like rides? Is touring the Food and Wine festival in August a miserable disaster?

I don’t have any particular issue with heat myself, no medical issue or anything but am wondering if the heat makes indoor things as competitive as rides are.

Any advice or experiences with August touring would be welcome, thanks.

You should be able to find some indoor seating - maybe not at Cava de Tequila as that place is quite popular. Still, there should be some options. You could always hop over to a resort bar too on your afternoon breaks. A nice thing about Pop is that you have the Skyliner. Go stop at the Riveria for a drink, or hit one of the Crescent Lake resorts on you way back to Epcot.

Do note that it will be busy, though F&W will be more manageable on weekdays (a little anyway). If you go, definitely enjoy it!

The competition for indoor spaces is not just about heat in August. It's about RAIN! Torrential rains most every day. (It's sort of like musical chairs...thousands of people scrambling for any covered spaces...it can be very unpleasant).

The competition for indoor spaces is not just about heat in August. It's about RAIN! Torrential rains most every day. (It's sort of like musical chairs...thousands of people scrambling for any covered spaces...it can be very unpleasant).
It has always reminded me of cockroaches scattering for cover when the lights come one. LOL OP, I go for the F&WF every year and what I do to escape the sun when needed is to just go into the gift shops and look around. The land pavilion usually has empty tables during off times that you sit for a bit. The show in France is a nice break also.

I’m here now(solo)and as far as crowds are concerned(and heat pretty much) late May and early August are somewhat similar. I think your plan to hit Epcot at night is a good one -at 91 yesterday it was just too hot to enjoy eating much of anything. The other day, Nomad had about 1-hr wait for one bar seat at noon, and they aren’t nearly filling the place yet. I noticed the La Cava line was quite long outside to the right of the building but didn’t go inside to check that out. All in all, I wouldn’t expect to easily find cool lounge space to sit and relax …I spent some time in Rose & Crown but that is primarily stand- up. It was 91 yesterday but I felt fairly comfortable most of the day walking around World Showcase, just don’t expect too many seats in the A/C.

I go to F&W ever year (except the year between the before times and the after times) and most of the time I go solo. I tend to go in Sept. but Sept/Aug. just about the same climate wise. I'm actually going solo the last week in August this year because my AP expires Sept. 5. I was there in April (solo) and was able to get a table at LaCava around 2:30 in the afternoon on Easter Sunday. It was about a 30 min. wait but I just shopped around the inside while I was waiting. I got a table at Nomad (outside but I prefer that) around 3:30 one afternoon. I got on the app. as I entered the park and booked it and it was ready before I got over there. The early afternoons seem to be the easier times. Most of the resorts have lounges so if you are at Epcot it would be easy enough to go out the IG and go to one of those and AKL is a short bus ride away from AK, the monorail resorts are easy. I also tend to do every evening at Epcot, most of my meals during F&W come from the booths. There will be afternoon showers that will come out of nowhere, rain like heck then go away so just make sure you have some sort of rain gear with you at all times. Some of the booths will close down if it gets too bad but they usually open back up after the storm passes. Also make sure you have some cash on you, I've found sometimes after a storm the card readers at the booths go down. Enjoy yourself, I love my slow easy solo trips. Be warned, the sky liner can and will go down in severe weather and there will be no warning that it is down until you get to it. They do provide buses but that could be a real pain if you've walked over to it and it's down then you have to go back through Epcot to get to the buses.

I go to F&W ever year (except the year between the before times and the after times) and most of the time I go solo. I tend to go in Sept. but Sept/Aug. just about the same climate wise. I'm actually going solo the last week in August this year because my AP expires Sept. 5. I was there in April (solo) and was able to get a table at LaCava around 2:30 in the afternoon on Easter Sunday. It was about a 30 min. wait but I just shopped around the inside while I was waiting. I got a table at Nomad (outside but I prefer that) around 3:30 one afternoon. I got on the app. as I entered the park and booked it and it was ready before I got over there. The early afternoons seem to be the easier times. Most of the resorts have lounges so if you are at Epcot it would be easy enough to go out the IG and go to one of those and AKL is a short bus ride away from AK, the monorail resorts are easy. I also tend to do every evening at Epcot, most of my meals during F&W come from the booths. There will be afternoon showers that will come out of nowhere, rain like heck then go away so just make sure you have some sort of rain gear with you at all times. Some of the booths will close down if it gets too bad but they usually open back up after the storm passes. Also make sure you have some cash on you, I've found sometimes after a storm the card readers at the booths go down. Enjoy yourself, I love my slow easy solo trips. Be warned, the sky liner can and will go down in severe weather and there will be no warning that it is down until you get to it. They do provide buses but that could be a real pain if you've walked over to it and it's down then you have to go back through Epcot to get to the buses.
Do you recommend doing other parks in the morning and Epcot in the evening then? I was just reading other tips that say to go to the booths when they open and over lunch time as they get busier at night. Thanks for all the info.

Do you recommend doing other parks in the morning and Epcot in the evening then? I was just reading other tips that say to go to the booths when they open and over lunch time as they get busier at night. Thanks for all the info.
I don't usually go when they open because I rarely have a park reservation for Epcot, I usually hop in later in the day. It's a balancing act, the later in the evening the more crowded it can get but it's also cooler and a better chance the rain will have come and gone. I'm not usually there later than say 7 or 7:30 for the booths and if I do them that late it's usually the ones closer to the front of park instead of WS.

I have the possibility of a first time solo trip but the dates must be early August. My plan would be to go to each park in the morning, head back to the hotel (Pop) as needed and go to Epcot in the evenings. Maybe a day for Disney Springs and resort touring.

I was at Disney last year with the full family and did the go go go thing hitting every ride, activity, etc. This solo trip would be to leisurely wander around, soak up the atmosphere, relive memories and maybe stop for a drink at every lounge, kiosk or bar I can find. I’ve been wanting to go to the Food and Wine festival forever so the early start this year also let’s me take in this event.

So, my question or hesitation in pulling the trigger is the heat and crowds. Is it realistic to think I will be able to find indoor seating for a drink at places like Nomad lounge, Cava Tequila, etc during the August heat or do the air conditioned places get lineups like rides? Is touring the Food and Wine festival in August a miserable disaster?

I don’t have any particular issue with heat myself, no medical issue or anything but am wondering if the heat makes indoor things as competitive as rides are.

Do it! You can eat at many bars at the resorts and just walk up and there are lots of air conditioned quick service. Early morning is bearable heat and after 5 pm. In between the pool will be perfect. You will love it. I went to cava del tequila at opening time. Geyser point at wilderness lodge in early afternoon on my solo trip and enchanted rose at night at gfv and dalias at the top of gran destino tower at Coronado springs when my husband was along with me. Disney springs has boathouse outdoor bar and the bar at rainforest cafe is good to for a drink and bite to eat. So many options for you.

I don't usually go when they open because I rarely have a park reservation for Epcot, I usually hop in later in the day. It's a balancing act, the later in the evening the more crowded it can get but it's also cooler and a better chance the rain will have come and gone. I'm not usually there later than say 7 or 7:30 for the booths and if I do them that late it's usually the ones closer to the front of park instead of W

it might thunderstorm in afternoon so keep in mind if you definitely want pool time another option is pool in morning then go to the parks with poncho and umbrella and just plan on getting wet

I lucked out that an existing solo trip is overlapping with the start of Food & Wine, and I have a similar plan. As others have mentioned, I generally do a leisurely stroll through the various shops. Also, any of the pavilions that have a movie are a great opportunity to get some air conditioning. My personal favorite for an afternoon escape from the heat is American Adventure, that's 30 minutes of a/c and theater seats, although I usually run the risk of a nap!

I’ve generally picked Epcot area resorts during F&W, particularly the Swan/Dolphin given my Marriott status. During the first half of the day, accept that you’re going to get wet and hot… to the point where you almost embrace it as a part of your vacation experience in a tropical climate. I’m just glad I’m not wearing my work clothes in Florida!

Then before dinner, I usually head back to my room to cool off, wash away all of the sunscreen with a nice shower, and then change into my “evening” casual clothes (still shorts, t-shirt, or polo).

F&W is great solo. The only downside is that there never seems to be enough surface area to set down your drink and food. I have found myself dining on a trash can more often than I care to admit (don’t judge me!) But there are nice people who have also invited me to share their table.

So I did decide to take this trip, Sunday through Saturday starting next weekend (July 31). It still seems a bit unreal, I haven’t had a vacation without family in 16 years. In case you’re wondering, my wife and kids are heading off to Europe for a month to visit relatives so this is my consolation prize for not being able to go too (due to work).

My plan is to go Epcot for two full days (with a break in the afternoon) and each other park once. I’m not concerned with rides so I don’t need to worry about rope drops, etc or need full days to get everything in. I’m planning one afternoon and evening in Hollywood Studios and Magic Kingdom and one morning and afternoon in Animal Kingdom.

For ADRs I grabbed Steakhouse 71 on arrival day, Tiffins and Boma on AK day, Brown Derby on HS day and the La Cava experience on one Epcot day.

I went around and around in circular logic trying to pick a hotel but decided on Pop.

So its now just hoping the flight goes ok (lots of cancellations and delays here) and the weathers not too bad.

You won't regret POP - very nice for a solo trip. I love having the table - makes the room feel so much bigger.

And, for me, the Skyliner is wonderful. Easy back and forth for afternoon breaks.

I’ll be there this coming next weekend from Thursday night to Sunday 8/4-8/7 if anyone wants to meet up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter