Aulani Dining - Found what I was missing!

sipnride

Mouseketeer
Edited after dining at Ama Ama. Fantastic experience.

First time visiting my home resort, and it has been a very nice trip thus far, with one big exception: the dining has been underwhelming, specifically on the resort. We've only eaten at Ulu, Off the Hook and Olelo but the food has been uninspired, bland, and not particularly well portioned. They don't even seem to offer a lot of the signature Hawaiian dishes or the traditional touches that make Hawaiian cuisine such scrumptious comfort food. The service has been good but the management makes a lot of questionable decisions. If I'm ordering a $24 omelet and sitting in your restaurant why am I getting food in a box? If we're paying $30 a plate why am I getting water in a plastic cup?

I'm contrast, we had dinner on Friday at Halekulani's House Without a Key, and it was fabulous. We had eaten lunch earlier at the Maui Airport during a layover at Sammy's, and the Loco Moco was delicious. Breakfast at Pagoda was a real treat, where I had tasty Portuguese sausage served with fried rice and warm delicious taro rolls. Happy Hour at Monkey Pod was divine. They varied in how expensive they were, but they all delivered in terms of value, which is how I tend to feel when dining at WDW resorts as well.

But Aulani is just frustrating me to no end. I just don't want to eat here any more, so we're going to grill tomorrow night, eat at Mekiko the following night, and then try to figure out where to eat at the Marriott and Four Seasons. I do have a reservation for Ama Ama on Thursday, but to be honest I'm thinking of canceling because the idea of spending $500 on dinner only to be disappointed yet again is giving me anxiety. I'm thinking I'll be better off spending that money at Mina's.

Open to any advice folks can give me on enjoying the food here. I really want that aspect of my home resort to be a positive, but I'm struggling to see it that way. There had been a lot of rave reviews for the food here, with some in the Disney media calling it tops among DVC resorts, but right now I've got it ranked last with SSR, and given how big a factor dining has been for my dvc experience, it makes me a little sad that my home resort is bringing up the rear.

Last edited:
We travel to Aulani once a year and have learned to only eat a few things there. We'll eat from the poolside/beachside menu (the onion rings are my favorite and husband really likes the impossible burger), Off The Hook (which is almost the same menu), and appetizers from the Olelo Room. Everything else we find generally to be too expensive for the quality. The food elsewhere on the island is just so much better and more affordable. Our favorites include Island Vintage Coffee (there used to be one in walking distance of Aulani but sadly, they've moved), Roy's Beach House on the North Shore at Turtle Bay, Monkey Pod which you've already mentioned, and Seven Brothers Burgers on the North Shore. We also typically have ramen somewhere on the island while we're there, but haven't had a bad one anywhere. CoCo Curry is another great one. Most of these you do have to drive to, but we generally rent a car and get out of the hotel every other day.

I do wish the food was a little better so we could have a nice meal inside the Disney bubble, but that just hasn't been our experience. I don't think it's *bad*, it's just not as good as the price tag would lead you to believe.

I agree that Ulu is just a QS really no different than BC market place etc. Off the Hook is a slight step up but nothing special similar to Olivia's. We did like the Shrimp flat bead at OTH. I do think these places are for the masses so they only have a nod to Hawaiian inspiration. However, we loved the Olelo room and ate there a few times. We also loved AMA AMA and thought it was one of the best meals. Monkey Pod and Roy's at the Ko Olina golf course across the street were also favorites for us. I hope your meals get better.

Yes Aulani isnt really a resort for dining we get a 1 bedroom and cook mostly and go out to Roy’s and to the 4 seasons next door

Yes Aulani isnt really a resort for dining we get a 1 bedroom and cook mostly and go out to Roy’s and to the 4 seasons next door

That said we did not love House without a Key

I agree that Ulu is just a QS really no different than BC market place etc. Off the Hook is a slight step up but nothing special similar to Olivia's. We did like the Shrimp flat bead at OTH. I do think these places are for the masses so they only have a nod to Hawaiian inspiration. However, we loved the Olelo room and ate there a few times. We also loved AMA AMA and thought it was one of the best meals. Monkey Pod and Roy's at the Ko Olina golf course across the street were also favorites for us. I hope your meals get better.
Is there a WDW restaurant you would compare Ama Ama too? I was hoping for something at least as good as California Grill, but we also love Bluezoo, and at this point I've checked my expectations to the point where I'd be satisfied if the food were on that level.

I only know of Mina's. What else stood out for you?
Noe was outstanding! The food, ambience, and service were excellent.

For a casual lunch or breakfast, La Hiki is an excellent option.

For bar and small bites, Manalo lounge outshines the Olelo room.

Roy’s (not at four seasons) is also excellent but the four seasons is just so much more convenient.

Other people have mentioned Monkey Pod - solid choice. In that same strip mall area, Eggs n Things does a great breakfast and Mekiko Cantina has good Mexican (and margarita flights).

Edited to add: the other nice thing about the four seasons is it is really easy to get a last minute dining reservation. Also if it were me, I’d cancel AMA AMA and go to Noe instead.

Last edited:
My son works at Mekiko’s as a cook. It’s probably one of the best Mexican places on island. Another favorite of ours is Monkey Pod. We live in Kapolei and coming from a food centric city (Seattle), we find a lot of restaurants underwhelming here. Sadly, we tend to not eat out much as a result.

This will be an unpopular viewpoint here, but Aulani is not built to challenge people. It is meant to be a Disney experience, which means a very specific, manicured sort of approach. The whole of Ko'Olina is a groomed and manicured resort area. The resorts there do not build the dining to be destinations, but to support people coming on resort and staying there.

There are many fine restaurants on O'ahu. Most of them are towards Honolulu, with a couple I can think of in Haleiwa and along the windward coast.

My son works at Mekiko’s as a cook. It’s probably one of the best Mexican places on island. Another favorite of ours is Monkey Pod. We live in Kapolei and coming from a food centric city (Seattle), we find a lot of restaurants underwhelming here. Sadly, we tend to not eat out much as a result.
We're definitely going to Mekiko. It's also just helpful to understand that the options are just limited in general.

Right now at least I think we've decided that, in the future, we're going to book 1+ bedrooms AND rent a car, or split stay (visiting the active volcanoes on big island is a bucket list item).

This will be an unpopular viewpoint here, but Aulani is not built to challenge people. It is meant to be a Disney experience, which means a very specific, manicured sort of approach. The whole of Ko'Olina is a groomed and manicured resort area. The resorts there do not build the dining to be destinations, but to support people coming on resort and staying there.

There are many fine restaurants on O'ahu. Most of them are towards Honolulu, with a couple I can think of in Haleiwa and along the windward coast.
I would be a little surprised if people disagreed with your statement. Seems pretty straightforward to me. My day to day life is challenging enough, so I often vacation through Disney to get a break from the stresses of life. If I want a more adventurous trip I usually travel independently, most often in Mexico and most recently in Turkey.

But I don't think interesting/delicious food and the Disney curated experience are mutually exclusive. In fact, I have found a lot of overlap, in Orlando at least. And I would go a step further and say that WDW resorts definitely lean on the atmosphere and culinary creativity of their restaurants to attract people to their Orlando resorts. It seems like Four Seasons O'ahu may be doing so as well. Right now this seems more like an Aulani problem not a Disney or Ko'Olina problem.

I generally hold that most WDW culinary experiences are not especially high end, especially for people who come from urban areas. Only a limited few eateries offer challenge, and the novelty is typically a character rather than the cuisine.

I generally hold that most WDW culinary experiences are not especially high end, especially for people who come from urban areas. Only a limited few eateries offer challenge, and the novelty is typically a character rather than the cuisine.
I guess "challenge" is not necessarily the word for it. But creative, well prepared, well presented, in an inviting and imaginative atmosphere - theres a lot of restaurants in WDW that fit the bill. Jiko, Jose Andres, Morimoto, California Grill, Bluezoo - those are good restaurants. Grew up in San Francisco, lived in NYC and Miami, spent the past 17 years working in Washington DC and living in NOVA. Been exposed to some decent food and yeah I think some WDW restaurants hold up to a lot of what those cities have to offer. No doubt there are over a hundred restaurants in the four cities I've spent the most time in that I'd rather eat at, but I also have yet to eat at Takumi Tei, Victoria and Albert's, or Citrocos - all highly acclaimed dining experiences, so it's not like I'm even pointing to the finest dining WDW had to offer.

If it's still there, try the coconut fried shrimp near the snow cone stand. Nice big portions with fries and tables to sit on.

If it's still there, try the coconut fried shrimp near the snow cone stand. Nice big portions with fries and tables to sit on.
We happened to land there today. Didn't even realize it was a food stand at first. I saw the shaved ice next to it and had walked right past it. Wound up getting fish and chips because my wife doesn't like shrimp but it hit the spot. Plenty of food from the one order. Grabbed a table by the reef. Celebrated later at Minas bar with a few "small" plates: beets, lobster mash potatoes, and his staple tuna tartare. My kid got a really impressive grilled fish meal off the keiki menu. Everything was so good, the portions were so big we brought food back to the room, and for roughly the same price as dinner last night at off the hook.

The Snack Shack and the Four Seasons saved the day. Thanks all!

Is there a WDW restaurant you would compare Ama Ama too? I was hoping for something at least as good as California Grill, but we also love Bluezoo, and at this point I've checked my expectations to the point where I'd be satisfied if the food were on that level.
AMA AMA is hard to compare to other Disney restaurants. I'm not a huge fan of Cali grill so I would say it's better than that. It's no Victoria and Albert's but it's slower paced like that. So more of an experience. The sunset is spectacular. We thought the plating was well done and picture worthy and taste was better than any of the other restaurants we dined at in the Ko Olina area. I would really look hard at the menu and see if it is truly to your liking. If you think it's just OK then you may be disappointed. HTH-Good luck with with whatever you choose

I’m curious, what did you order that was uninspired without Hawaiian touches?

Ulus is quick service. Some hits some misses but we don’t eat there looking for high cuisine (although the Portuguese flat bread is really good for breakfast)

We found the food at Makahiki breakfast really good and huge portions, the loco moco, Kalua pork omlet, sweet bread French toast. The Malasadas are good but not great, want great drive down the highway to the Leonard’s truck by Home Depot. (breakfast is better than dinner at makaheiki). Off the hook and poolside good as well. Enjoyed the small plates at Oleos too. My wife is local, she’s definitely found the food well done with Hawaiian inspiration. She has dreams about the Ahi Poke Nachos poolside (they’re amazing) and several other dishes. The huli huli chicken with coconut rice at off the hook is really good too.

Want local food the locals eat? Go to Foodland over by Costco or the one at the mall and hit up the food bar. The Korean chicken is amazing. Zippys is always a family favorite as well. Hit up Liliha bakery too.

Last edited:
I guess "challenge" is not necessarily the word for it. But creative, well prepared, well presented, in an inviting and imaginative atmosphere - theres a lot of restaurants in WDW that fit the bill. Jiko, Jose Andres, Morimoto, California Grill, Bluezoo - those are good restaurants. Grew up in San Francisco, lived in NYC and Miami, spent the past 17 years working in Washington DC and living in NOVA. Been exposed to some decent food and yeah I think some WDW restaurants hold up to a lot of what those cities have to offer. No doubt there are over a hundred restaurants in the four cities I've spent the most time in that I'd rather eat at, but I also have yet to eat at Takumi Tei, Victoria and Albert's, or Citrocos - all highly acclaimed dining experiences, so it's not like I'm even pointing to the finest dining WDW had to offer.
At Disney World, there are lots of restaurants. For every one of those you list out, there is a Chef Mickey or a boring QS, or an over-hyped themed place like 'Ohana (using low grade, often girstly meats in bulk and charging premium). So most people's WDW experience is likely to skew to that rather than Jiko.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter