Aulani for couples only trip?

winnieofpooh

DIS Veteran
I'm doing some major advance planning/speculating, but my husband graduates from dental school in three years. We want to take a nice celebratory trip once he locks down his first job after 8 (!!) years of school. We're both huge Disney fans, but wanted to do something different than WDW since we've been multiple times. I've been to Oahu and Kauai before and LOVED it. He's never been and I'd love to go together and experience that. That being said, is Aulani good for a couples only trip? We also aren't crazy adventurous, so most of our time would likely be spent at the resort (probably one day exploring offsite). Is there enough to do? Or are we better off going to a non-Disney resort. We're fairly used to kids running around everywhere, so that won't be a huge deterrent as long as there's things for adults to do as well.

DH and I spent 6 days of our 16 day Hawaiian honeymoon at Aulani. We are Disney fanatics and thought it would be sacrilege to not visit Aulani on our first (and maybe only) trip to Hawaii :)

How long are you thinking of going? Will you be island hopping or doing a split stay with another resort? Aulani is located in Ko Olina which is a planned gated tourist community. Its in an isolated part of Oahu, and there is nothing in walking distance except for a couple of high priced tourist restaurants (albeit, they are good!) and a handful of stores, also at tourist prices. Everything in Ko Olina, including the lagoons, are man-made. IMO, its a waste to not explore the rest of Oahu while there because you don't get to experience the true beauty and culture of Hawaii unless you leave that area. I highly recommend renting a car, but if that's not in the cards, there are tours you can book through Aulani.

The resort itself is on the smaller side compared to a few others we have stayed at. We had 3 full resort days during our stay and we saw and did everything we wanted to, including dining and spa treatments. We felt it was enough resort time for us. We also spent 3 nights in Waikiki during our trip, which I thought was a nice way to offset Aulani - its a very different vibe, tons in walking distance, and there are tons of bus tours to different sights from there as well.

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but if I wanted a good beach vacation, I would go to the Gulf or Caribbean. The draw for Hawaii is really the unique beauty and culture. Beaches are secondary. This is why I stress how valuable getting out and seeing the island is. We are not adventurous at all, but found lots of great things to do that gave us a good taste!

We'd probably do 8 or 9 days, and no island hopping. That was one of the bigger reasons I was on the fence about Aulani. I LOVED Kauai and felt there was much more to do around the hotel than on Oahu. Sounds like we might be better off at a different resort or even different island.

We just spent two weeks in Hawaii earlier this month...we were at Aulani, then Kauai, then Maui (I'll be posting my trip report soon). It was DH and I plus our 3 kids. I loved Aulani and could see staying there, just DH and I, but if I had 8 or 9 days to get away with him and we weren't going to island hop, I'd pick Kauai. This was my first visit to Kauai and like you I just LOVED it! We visited the Grand Hyatt in Poipu and said that we (DH and I) would love to stay there one day. It is a gorgeous resort!

We'd probably do 8 or 9 days, and no island hopping. That was one of the bigger reasons I was on the fence about Aulani. I LOVED Kauai and felt there was much more to do around the hotel than on Oahu. Sounds like we might be better off at a different resort or even different island.

I think 8 or 9 days on Oahu is good, but I wouldn't spend 8 or 9 days at Aulani if you don't plan on leaving the resort much. Perhaps doing a split stay with a Waikiki hotel might be better because you'd have more access to sightseeing from Waikiki, and then can do a couple days of relaxing at the resort during the Aulani part of your stay.

We were two couples, no children when we went. We alternated each day between resort-only and going out to see something (including one very early morning flight to the Big Island and back that night). We had a 2-bedroom suite so the resort days were getting up late, taking half the morning to make breakfast and eat it on the balcony where we would people watch and just generally enjoy the weather and atmosphere. Then down to the lazy river for a couple of turns, pool and/or hot tub for a bit, beach and ocean for a bit, lunch, maybe another couple of turns around the river, do some of the activities, dinner, some evening activities. We probably could have done more things but didn't have time. It all depends on what you like to do and how relaxed versus busy you want to be. I would, however, recommend renting a car while there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter