• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Aulani Grand Villa Question

DisneyCruisin'

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide whether or not we want an Grand Villa at Aulani with Ocean View or if Standard View would be ok.

Is there a chance of a Standard View being a view of the parking deck or convention center? I really don't want to spend 7 days looking at the parking deck. The balcony is going to be my get away from the SIL area. :) I'm a balcony girl - a cup of tea and my Nook and I can stay out there all day!

Trying to decide whether or not we want an Grand Villa at Aulani with Ocean View or if Standard View would be ok.

Is there a chance of a Standard View being a view of the parking deck or convention center? I really don't want to spend 7 days looking at the parking deck. The balcony is going to be my get away from the SIL area. :) I'm a balcony girl - a cup of tea and my Nook and I can stay out there all day!

Yes, there is a chance you will have a view of the convention center or parking deck but you should request a higher floor. My room included a view of the convention center but I requested a higher floor (7th floor) and although I can see the convention center I also had a view of the hillside.

Obviously the Grand Villa is beautiful but more importantly is do you need all that space? You should also consider that although the Grand Villa has a great view the one I took a tour of also included a view and noise of the construction below.

Have a wonderful trip.

Yes, we do need the space based on those family members going. We all get along, but we all need space too. I had thought at one point to get a 2 bed room and a studio but we wanted to make sure we were all together also.

We think this will be our one and only trip (at least for a long time) and want to do it right. I just don't want to look at a parking deck all week or a convention center.

Yes, there is a chance you will have a view of the convention center or parking deck but you should request a higher floor. My room included a view of the convention center but I requested a higher floor (7th floor) and although I can see the convention center I also had a view of the hillside.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the question or ludari's response. However, if you book a Grand Villa there is no way you will see the convention center or a parking lot even if you book a Standard View Grand Villa.

All Grand Villas at Aulani are located on the endcaps of the Waianae or Ewa Buildings and face the ocean. The Ewa Building has 10 Grand Villas on floors 2 through 11. The GVs on floors 2 and 3 were classified as Standard View and the GVs on floors 4-11 are Ocean View. The Ama Ama Restaurant is in front of the Ewa Building endcap and the roofline of the Ama Ama Restaurant could obstruct some of the view from the balconies of the Grand Villas on floors 2 and 3. That is why GV #289 and #389 are classified as Standard View.

Here is a photo taken from the lagoon looking back at the endcap of the Ewa Building. The top floor is the 11th floor and if you count down you'll notice that floors 2 and 3 are out of view from this camera angle:

file-64.jpg

The Waianae Building had one Standard View Grand Villa and 10 Ocean View Grand Villas. However, that one Standard View GV is being converted into a cafe and is no longer available for booking. I suspect that Aulani may have reclassified the GV on the 2nd floor from Ocean View to Standard View, but I have not been able to confirm that change.

Here is a photo taken from the lagoon looking back at the endcap of the Waianae Building.

file-63.jpg

Finally, here is a photo taken from the far end of the lagoon looking back at Aulani. The Ewa Building is on the right side, the Waianae Building is on the left side.

file_zps5c6e114e.jpg

If I am understanding correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong) - All Grand Villas are located in the same place on each floor with NO chance of them being any other place.

I called DVC this morning to verify and was told we could possible have a parking lot or Convention Center view in a Grand Villa. I was hoping they were wrong based on the number of points needed for a week but was told that not all Grand Villas had a good view.

If I am understanding correctly (and please correct me if I am wrong) - All Grand Villas are located in the same place on each floor with NO chance of them being any other place.

I called DVC this morning to verify and was told we could possible have a parking lot or Convention Center view in a Grand Villa. I was hoping they were wrong based on the number of points needed for a week but was told that not all Grand Villas had a good view.

My experience with Member Services (unless you luck out and get an exceptionally informed CM) is that they tend to give you a party line response without much thought or interpretation. The MS CM you were speaking with probably just referenced the notes for what constitutes a standard view, which is: "Standard View includes either a view of the conference center, parking lot or parking garage from the room or balcony." This is clearly a "one-size-fits-all" description that Disney chose to use for all rooms in the standard category... If all of the grand villas are in the end caps to the two buildings (and I believe that is the case), there is no possibility to have a view of the parking lot.

I agree with floribr1: The CM was giving you the standard (no pun intended) answer about what constitutes a Standard View Grand Villa. If you look at the thread on Aulani Villas and Views, you'll see a couple maps of the resort. The Grand Villas only exist on the endcaps of two buildings facing the ocean. The convention center and parking lots are at the other end of the resort.

If I have enough points for a Grand Villa, I'd go for an Ocean View. Here is the view from Ocean View Grand Villa #1001, which is on the 10th floor of the Waianae Building:

file_zps9015b1a9.jpg

The photo above was taken in September 2012 before most of the construction projects started at Aulani. The green lawn in the lower right of the photo is becoming the home for the new infinity pool and misty grotto and the new kids' water splash zone. These projects are scheduled to be completed by September 2013.

Here is a photo of what use to be Standard View GV #101 on the 1st floor of the Waianae Building. By the way, the Aulani Grand Villas go the entire length of the end cap. GV #101 is becoming a quick serve cafe and should be operational by September 2013, if not sooner. When we were at Aulani last year #101 was a Standard View, but #201 and #301, right above #101, were classified as Ocean Views. Given that DVC tweaked the Aulani point charts for the Grand Villas in 2014 compared to 2013, I think some of the Grand Villas have been reclassified.

file-99.jpg

Thanks for all the info! We added-on Aulani points but haven't been and I've not really researched the resort like I know WDW resorts!

We have enough points to definitely do an Ocean View and you all have talked me into it! :) Fingers crossed and toes crossed that it is available in the morning! :)

Thank you all for your help!!!

Thanks for all the info! We added-on Aulani points but haven't been and I've not really researched the resort like I know WDW resorts!

We have enough points to definitely do an Ocean View and you all have talked me into it! :) Fingers crossed and toes crossed that it is available in the morning! :)

Thank you all for your help!!!

Good luck. Having been to Aulani also and seeing the building maps, all the grand villas are at the end caps.. Only drawback is that it's a long walk from the elevators, but I'm sure that's easily overlooked based on your views. Have Fun!

Awesome news! We got the Ocean View Grand Villa for our trip in January with no problems this morning! Our hotel reservations are complete (Grand Californian and Aulani). Now on to flight plans and figure out a plan for meals! WooHoo!!! Going to Hawaii! We're going to Hawaii! We're going to Hawaii!!

Awesome news! We got the Ocean View Grand Villa for our trip in January with no problems this morning! Our hotel reservations are complete (Grand Californian and Aulani). Now on to flight plans and figure out a plan for meals! WooHoo!!! Going to Hawaii! We're going to Hawaii! We're going to Hawaii!!

Congratulations! Aulani is a great resort and you'll be there after all the construction is completed. Please post some photos of your Grand Villa.

Here is another photo to keep you in the mood:

file-94.jpg

By the way, that is the endcap of the Waianae Building.

We are headed to Oahu with the extended family July 29. We are going to be up at Turtle Bay for 3 nights and then 3 nights in a Grand Villa at Aulani, followed by 2 nights in a 1BR after my parents and my brother and his family head back. A little more moving around than I normally like, but I could not do a Grand Villa for a full week on points basis. I have always wanted to stay in a DVC Grand Villa and what better place than Aulani.

This thread is a good reminder to call and put in a request for a high floor to get some distance from the construction.

When we purchased our original DVC points, we did it with the thought of using them to get the whole family together for vacations on DH's side. As the years have passed, we have added on more and more points and his side of the family has become more and more separated and distant due to hurt feelings when their mom passed away. I have a brother who hates to travel and two parents who one physically cannot travel and the other won't leave the other one at home.

We've done larger vacations (cruises, ABD, larger accommodations, etc) with our points as time has gone on. This trip will use a whole year of points (plus a few extra) but with school and jobs we aren't traveling as much anymore (we are also doing three nights at Disneyland before flying to Hawaii).

We made the decision to do Hawaii right. Right now, it's only five of us in the Grand Villa and we are all tickled pink! There will be more added before we go - but the group going would be happy for it to be just the five of us as the two singles could get a room to them selves as well.

One thing we LOVE about DVC is that we are not locked into the same type of accommodations for the same week every year. If we want to save points, we can go some where off season and get a studio. If we want to splurge and spoil ourselves, we can go somewhere for a shorter length of time and get a Grand Villa. Next year, we are doing a family vacation at a beach in our state and the following year we will either be doing an ABD trip or a cruise. We have a trip planned to WDW with the Honors Chorus at my son's school in between. They are performing at the Magic Kingdom and I'm playing the piano for them (and we are extending our trip a couple of extra days). We just love the flexibility!

Congrats! I want to be in your family! Ha!

Great information in this thread! Thanks!!! I'm looking ahead a couple of years and we're planning to take my parents to Aulani for their 50th anniversary with my brother's family. There are 12 of us in all I wasn't sure if there would be any chance at getting a GV 7 months out or if we would need to get 2 smaller villas. This thread really helped!

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter