Aulani Grocery Delivery Service?

Drewferin

DIS Veteran
I'll be visit Aulani in June for 9 days. With a family of 5 we will be staying in a 1 bedroom Villa on DVC points. We would like to cook 1-2 meals a day in the villa since it has a full kitchen. Se will NOT be renting a car. Has anybody used a grocery delivery service to Aulani? If so what company and how were their grocery prices, produce, meat/cheese selections, and did they allow alcohol to be delivered?

Options that I can think of include:
(1) DVC grocery stocking through Aulani seems to have a small selection and some steep prices.
(2) Costco and some other grocery stores seem to be down in Kapolei so maybe one of these deliver? Or take a taxi to the store.
(3) The Island Country Market (ABC) seems to be within walking distance. Does this store have a good selection and how are its prices?

Please let me know your grocery tricks and tips!!

The ABC store is in very short walking distance. You can absolutely get what you need there if you’re not too picky on brands, but I did find the prices pretty high. To be fair, I found almost all groceries in Hawaii to be highly priced compared to where I live in Atlanta.

My grocery hack: We actually checked a suitcase that had a lot of frozen food and dry goods in it and just supplemented from the local stores in Hawaii. We packed everything from salsa to pancake mix to frozen lasagna, tamales, meatballs, and beyond.

How are you getting from the airport to Aulani? Could your transfer plans include a stop? Have you priced a one way rental car for just the leg from HNL to Aulani?

Costco membership includes Instacart delivery in some participating locations. I put in aulani’s address and it said they will deliver there. Prices are a bit higher than in store (in my area at least) but it could be a good option for things you’d need a lot of.

I don't know about delivery options, so can't offer any advice there. Same as pepperandchips, on both our trips we have checked a suitcase of food - pantry items and things like aluminum foil, ziploc bags, mugs and water bottles, knife, reusable shopping bags, etc. We rented a car one way from Alamo at the airport and shopped on our check-in day, then turned the car in at Aulani that evening. I got most things at Costco and found their prices overall to be comparable to here in WA. Milk was more expensive and alcohol was actually cheaper. I went to Safeway for a few things we didn't need in bulk and it was more expensive. If we had stayed longer, I think I would have just gotten everything at Costco.

We're a family of 4 and my kids are not big eaters, but we spent a little over $200 for 6 nights (including alcohol) and had food left over that we brought back home. We ate out a few times but otherwise fixed everything in the villa - simple stuff like salads, rice bowls, burritos, sandwiches, mac and cheese.

I think the most important thing is to plan out your meals and shopping list in advance so you're sure to have everything you need. I'm a regular Costco and Safeway shopper so I made a list for each store and was able to knock it out in a couple of hours while DH took the kids to swim.

I cannot speak to the grocery delivery aspect of your question but I am another one who brings supplies to Hawaii, stuff like granola bars, spices, and as @Caracoles said-foil, ziplocs, my own sharp knife and cutting board.
I know it is wasteful but I also bring paper plates and cups, just in case.
I also bring my pineapple corer which I picked up a few years back LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Pi...eapple+corer&qid=1549719848&s=gateway&sr=8-17

upload_2019-2-9_8-45-58.png

Then I buy my fresh stuff there but I always check out the flyers online first.
Just put the Kapolei zip code in and you should be able to get a feel for prices and what is on sale.
I use the one for the Kapolei Target so I can see their flyer
96707-1878

I have read on yelp that the hot counter at the ABC island Country Market across the street is pretty good (I have not had anything for there so I cannot speak from experience) but I have always thought it might be an option if you were bbq-ing at the resort to pick up sides there to supplement the meal.
I also find that the pantry prices at the ABc store are high but if you just need a few things I dont know if it would be worth a delivery charge (ie-you run out of someting half way through your stay and need to restock it)

Just wanted to mention something that I haven't see on this thread that really surprised us when we were there last month. Hawaii charges .15 for each plastic bag needed to haul your groceries when checking out. We had no idea this was a thing and were surprised by this at a $300+ checkout. Man, I learned to cram our groceries into those bags lol. It wasn't a big deal ( I think we ended up with 11 bags) but if you have a few reusable bags, you might want to take them to get groceries. And the bags they sold us were not the flimsy plastic ones we get locally here. They were very roomy and sturdy and definitely reusable.

Also, we are from serious WalMart country (AR) so we went to the one in Kapolei to procure groceries. Big mistake. Very poor selection of foodstuffs compared to other stores (FoodLand, Times, Safeway etc) that's I've shopped at in Hawaii over the years. Just wanted to mention that.

Also, we are from serious WalMart country (AR) so we went to the one in Kapolei to procure groceries. Big mistake. Very poor selection of foodstuffs compared to other stores (FoodLand, Times, Safeway etc) that's I've shopped at in Hawaii over the years. Just wanted to mention that.

I totally agree that the Kapolei Walmart is a little lacking compared to mainland ones and it certainly isn’t my first choice in the area for groceries.

Another quick point is I have found over the years that the Foodland chain in Hawaii tends to have superior produce than other stores at decent prices.

After looking at the InstaCart app/website they do deliver to Aulani. Your first delivery is free and all ordered over $50 are also free. Costco and Safeway in Kapolei have InstaCart options. I think I'll try this out and have them deliver for our June Aulani stay. We will use the ABC across the street for alcohol, Icecream and coffee.

just fyi we have found the prices at the ABC store across the road comparable to Target. For us the taxi ride cost and the time to get to/from Target, makes it not worth us. However, we are just 2 adults and everyone's needs are different. If your DVC you can get food/items delivered to your room (at a extra cost). I'm sure if your renting DVC points some owners would arrange this for you (at your cost).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter